Letters to congressman

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lillieblake, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Hello all

A lot of people recommend sending a letter to your congressman.

When is the best time to do this?
    Is is best to just send to the congressman, or can we send to the senator also?
    And what should the letter say?

Can we have a section at the top of the forum that deals only with suggested or already used letters?

2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Hi Lillie,

I'm one of those people who recommend making contact with your Congressional delegation (your Congressmember and both of your Senators).

Before writing a letter, I'd suggest calling their local offices (usually they are listed in your phone directory under "government"). Otherwise, enter your zip code at www.votesmart.org and follow the links. At some point, the local addresses and phone numbers of your Congressmember and Senators will show up in the right hand margin of the webpage.

If you're up to it, ask for an appointment (this works best with your Congressmember). Now is a good time to do this because Congress will soon start its summer recess, which means members will be in their home districts.

If you are not up for a meeting, ask for the name and contact information for the legislative assistant in charge of health matters for all three--your Congressmember and both of your Senators.

Then you can write your letters and send them directly to these people. If you have a FAX machine, I would recommend sending the letters that way over email.

What you write depends on why you are interested in writing.

If you tell me more about what you want to say, I can probably direct you to some sample letters.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2008]
  3. stumped

stumped New Member

Thanx Jam and Mezombie. Good info. Feel real frustrated for you and my daughter. awareness and more studys are needed. (gives me a chance to bitch about the health industry too ). Maybe starting a patition? I'll drive to your house for the signature lol. Hope you all had a calm day.....Rick
  4. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Thanks for the info. I will think about what I want to write about and contact you again.

Have a great day.

5. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Hi Lillie:

I wrote to my congressman when I got the letter from ss after about 15 months saying they had my file and were still waiting to assign a judge to it. I had Allsup for my rep, so they told me who to write to.

I called the congressmans office. The girl told me to write and tell them how long I had been waiting and if it had caused a financial hardship to please include info regarding that. She was very nice. I wrote the letter and included my bank/mutual fund report from the month I first filed and the current month to show it's decrease.

They got my letter on Wednesday, 2 days later I got a letter from them and SS and I had a judge assigned. The following Tuesday (6 days later) SS called and I had a hearing date assigned in 6 weeks. My hearing was 3 years and 1 month from my last day of work.

I called the congressmans office and wrote a letter of commendation for the girl that helped me with my case. It is definately worth writing them. Good luck.

M J