Levaquin or other Quinolone Drugs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nixon, Mar 7, 2009.

1. nixon

nixon New Member

Has anyone here ever been prescribed Levaquin, or any other in that group? If so, did you feel like you were having the Worst flare of your life??

I was recently prescribed a 10 day course for a recurrent sinus infection, and was/am suffering terribly.....worse joint pain especially knees, hips. To the point getting up from a seated position I could barely straighten my legs out. Also bad insomnia......worse than normal. Other strange things too, but these were the worse.

Would like to hear from anyone who has had a bad reaction to this type of drug. Thanks everybody! Andrea
  2. nixon

nixon New Member

for a reply! I have done some googling on it, I was just wondering if any fellow FMSers/CFSers had as bad of reaction as I did.

Usually I do fairly well with meds of all types, I know some of us are VERY sensitive to any/all meds. Oh, I forgot to mention another really bad effect was worse than usual pain in my left shoulder/neck area. These pains were so bad my everyday pain meds wouldn't even begin to ease it.
  3. nixon

nixon New Member

I thought I tried that the other day, but I didn't do the 2nd part.....Found it!!! Many thanks, I'll get busy reading now!! LOL
  4. I never feel good on it and decided to tell the dr that NOT to prescribe that med anymore is for me!
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

This is just one possibility....it could have been a herx reaction if you happen to have an undiagnosed infectious disease such as Bartonella, for which Levaquin is used.
  6. nixon

nixon New Member

I figured out how to look up the searches last night ( I'd been having trouble with that...fibro fog I guess!)

I read ALL of those last night til wee hours of the a.m.,

Jam-thx for bumping fluoride posts I'll read those too!

Nanie46, I know a couple yrs. back I tested positive for: Coxsackie B-1 Ab, EBV, M pneumoniae IgG Abs, CMV Ab IgG, HSV I/II IgC, HHV-6 IgG Antibodies. I also am BADLY effected by HPV.
  7. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

... can be so severe as to trigger tendon RUPTURE, which can occur at multiple points and require significant surgery at each rupture point to repair.

The fluoroquinolones as a class tend to strongly chelate copper out of the body. Many people in the US are already high in copper & so do not suffer adverse side effects when rxd a drug like Levaquin.

On the other hand, people who have low or even low-normal copper stores are at risk of Levaquin side effects.

The strong chelation of copper has potential to break down the collagen in very critical body tissues, leading in some cases to bleeds, strokes, as arteries disintegrate.

This in addition to the other grief associated with fluoroquinolones.

There have been numerous lawsuits filed against the manufacturers of these drugs.

Best wishes.
  8. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I was put on Cipro once and immediately developed very strange feelings in both body and mind. I felt completely disconnected from the world and in a stupor. I'd never had such a reaction to any other antibiotic so I discontinued it and called my doctor. He's a great guy, but thought I was "neurosing" my symptoms.

Then I spoke to my psychiatrist and she said that while rare, psychosis can occur with the fluoroquinolones. She cited the case of an elderly woman who developed psychosis that was attributed to aging, but was in reality a reaction to the FLQs and went away once the woman stopped taking the drug.

This is a class of drug I have since avoided.
  9. fishy1

fishy1 New Member

Please bear with me as I am new at this. Your post really caught my attention because I used to swear that Levaquin actually caused my fibromyalgia. Now that I am a little more educated about it, I know what set off my fibromyalgia (it was serious complications during surgery). Like you, I had severe problems with my ankles, knees and hips with the worst being the knees. I couldn't straighten my legs out either. My doctor actually sent me to a sports medicine doctor for this. The doctor is the same doctor that treats the St. Louis Rams and the Cardinals. They didn't know what was wrong. I had xrays and MRI's and physical therapy. Actually, the physical therapy helped. As long as I kept moving, the knees were more flexible. I had hard knots behind my knees and the therapist said she had never seen anything like it and couldn't figure out why the hamstrings were so bound up. She used heat and vibration to relax them. I did not have any further problems with my knees until I took another round of Levaquin. The same old pain started coming back and my knee joints were "clicking". That's when I put it all together and stopped the Levaquin. My doctor boo hooed my ideas but he changed to a sulfa drug. I had problems with that too but that's another story. I ended up with Zithromax working the best when I need an antibiotic. I truly believe there is a big problem with Levaquin for some people. I tried to research it some and came up with others having the same type of problems. I think they were trying to sue for it but I didn't follow up on it. I go through long spells with the brain fog and can't finish things for a while and I just never got back to it. Let me know what you find out because I would certainly be interested in seeing them do some kind of trial or at least make them admit there is a problem and if I can be of help in any way, I am willing to help.

[This Message was Edited on 03/12/2009]
  10. nixon

nixon New Member

Thanks for your input.....I definetly don't think it's the cause of my FMS/CFS, but from ALL the research I've been doing in the last week or so...I've come to the conculsion that FLOROQUINOLONES (Levaquin,etc!)
    should not be taken by most people with Fibro/CFS.

I've been TOTALLY miserable for the past month, was on Augmentin for 14 days before the 10 days of Levaquin. In the past 17 days I've only had 65 hours of sleep!!! I have an appt. to go see my Dr., and I'm armed with LOTS of info. regarding these drugs, and what they can do to us Fibro people.

On a whole different note, I'm also going to see if I can switch from Lyrica back to Neurontin. This is my 2nd time trying Lyrica, and it just doesn't seem to work for me! Also in need of different narcotics, the ones I've been on did NOTHING for this added pain I'm suffering with from the Levaquin. I've also just applied for Disability, so I need her help in that dept. too!!

I'll be interested to see if she believes me regarding the Levaquin ( I've got copies of past medical records where I thought it had bothered me- but was blown off as CRAZY, by another previous Dr.), and copies of testimonies from other people whose lives have been ruined from Fluoroquinolones.
    I'm NOT looking to sue anybody, just would LIKE to be taken seriously, In the past I thought I was just having BAD FLARES, but after 3 seperate occasions......I know it's not just coincedence now!!

I will update as to whether or not she admits it to me, or tries to "blow me off" like previous Drs. have done.

11. Hope678

Hope678 New Member

Similar reactions to what you described...especially insomnia and when I did sleep nightmares.

BUT I do well on Levaquin...so it is the luck of the draw and good idea to keep a journal of your drug reactions. Hope this helps and hope you are feeling better.
  12. nixon

nixon New Member

I'm STILL experiencing side effects, and I've been off of it for quite a while. My doc refused to believe my problems are caused by Levaquin.
    I did go for blood tests today, and go see her next week. I'm still not sleeping, it's quite crazy!!
  13. dannybex

dannybex Member

...is also in this same family of tendon-rupturing antibiotics. I wouldn't go near any of them with a 100 foot pole.

I'm glad you posted this...hope you've got any damage that may have been done early, so you'll be better able to heal.

14. Juloo

Juloo Member

In the past they've worked GREAT getting rid of sinus infections, but I am positive that this is the reason that I have a partially torn rotator cuff and ongoing shoulder problems on the opposite shoulder as well.

I have this flagged on my chart now, too. The last time I was in, I saw a different nurse practitioner than my usual (one I have *trained*, and knows about my situation). When I told her I wanted to avoid fluoroquinolones, she got a touch impatient and said, "Well, that doesn't leave me much to work with (I'm allergic to penicillin and have sensitivities to other options as well)..."

So I told her the situation -- I just don't know that most pcp's understand about the tendon rupture stuff. I told her if I were on my death bed and no other medication worked, then she had my permission to prescribe fluoroquinolones. Before then, she just needed to get creative.
  15. dannybex

dannybex Member

Keep in mind that even the Mayo Clinic -- a conservative institution -- found that 95-97% of sinus infections were actually caused by fungus or fungal organisms, not bacteria. So perhaps any antibiotic may not be the best choice...

just my two cents!

16. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

Hi to everyone,
    I used to be on this baord a lot two years ago and also did a lot of reasearch on ABX , adverse reaction in ME/cfs
    There is a big post under my name with a lot of info about this topic.
    Try to find it for you.
    My advice, stay away from Levaquin and other ABX in this Family!!!!
  17. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

Hi to everyone,
    I used to be on this baord a lot two years ago and also did a lot of reasearch on ABX , adverse reaction in ME/cfs and autoimmune d.
    There is a big post under my name and the old FM board 05/07 "Adverse Drug Reactions in CFIDS/FM/ME/MS" with a lot of info about this topic.
    It is long, but there is all you ever get to know on this topic!

My advice, stay away from Levaquin and other ABX !!!!
  18. nixon

nixon New Member

Will try to find that post!!

19. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

I took 28 pills of levaquin in 2001. Ended up with both tendon damage and severe central nervous system and peripheral nervous system damage.

Symptoms included--

Tendon pain all over body
    Joint pain all over body
    Severe fatigue
    muscle twitching
    spots in vision
    taste and smell disturbances
    muscle weakness
    loss of hair
    numbness and tingling of extremities
    severe night sweats
    and a few other minor problems

It took a long, long time, but I am mostly recovered. My tendons in the feet and shoulders still aren't 100%, but I am very functional.

I encourage you to do a google search for fluoroquinolone toxicity foundation and you will find a forum dedicated to those of us that have been "floxed" by one of the fluoroquinolone drugs.

Good luck.
  20. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Hi Nixon

Many doctors over prescribe this class of antibiotics. The black box warning concerning tendon rupture is real. I reserve use of this antibiotic class for positive cultures of bacterial that are sensitive to this specific antibiotic. On occasion I will start levaquin when someone presents with a serious infection pending the culture results. It is a matter of risk vs benefit.