Lexapro, Effexor and Cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JencyH, Oct 31, 2005.

1. JencyH

JencyH New Member

Anyone have experiences with these? Lexapro seems to keep me from getting those reoccuring thoughts of anxiety (because of my situation, financial, etc). I don't seem to get any happy times with the Lexapro. I tried Effexor for about 3 months and initially i felt slghtly more motivated and positive. Now my doctor wants to change to Cymbalta. Anyone have any luck with it? Is there weight gain?
  2. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

Hello,
    I have been on Lexapro for a couple of years now. Recently I tried to stop taking it and did not feel well at all mentally. I started back to 10 mg. when I remember to take it. I need to make a meds chart.
    Anyway, It has always seemed to help me. I don't feel so anxious or have such "bad" thoughts. I was losing weight for awhile and not sure if that was because I was trying to stop it or what. I am most comfortable with it. I don't feel drugged or not myself just not as anxious. I won't try stopping it again in the near future. Reminds me I better take one now!
    Sorry I don't know about the others. I tried effexor briefly a long time ago. I heard it is supposed to give energy. I would not want to go through starting another right now or changing. It take so long for these type of meds to work and build up in your systom.
    Best of luck to you in finding something that helps you. I'm sticking with the lexapro for now.
    Prayers,
    Lil
  3. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

Hey
    I was just prescribed cymbalta for depression and pain. I gained 60 lbs while i was on effexor and it didn't work for me, but cymbalta is working well. It does help with weight loss. I actually was initially on 60 mg/day, but had to go to 90/day because I was getting more depressed on 60. Now, being at 90, it's really helping my anxiety and depression.

Good luck with the meds!
  4. Mymolly

Mymolly New Member

Effexor can be a horrible thing when you want to quit it- I went through terrible withdrawals for over a month after I stopped even though I did a slow withdrawal from it. There are a lot of websites that talk about the withdrawal from this drug. use anything else that works if you can!
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I've been on Effexor and am back on it again as I wait for Cymbalta to be approved in Canada. I had no problems when I went off the Effexor. Effexor and Cymbalta are in the same family, so switching over should be no problem what so ever. Cymbalta is really supposed to help with the pain of FM in women. I'd go for it if I were you!
    Raz
  6. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I have actually tried all of these, in that order. I tried lexapro and didn't like it. I was on effexor for a couple of years and I didn't feel it was doing anything for the pain (I never thought I was depressed, until I went off of effexor- it was awful). A couple of months without anything and I decided to try Cymbalta. What a difference. The pain level is at least half what it was and my mood is much better. I am well pleased with it.
    I was losing weight at first, but it leveled off pretty quickly. If I worked at it, I would probably still be losing. Still can't sleep without meds even though I am a bit more sleepy than before taking it. That is getting better though as time goes on.
    Hope this helps.
  7. millennia

millennia New Member

Lexapro just made me sleep all the time, like 16 hours a day. If I didn't have to function it would've been fine ;) Effexor was horrible. It helped my depression, but I gained so much weight and now two years later, I still can't lose it. But the worst part about the effexor was the withdrawal symptoms. I'm a little absent minded (as fibrofog does to a lot of us) and would sometimes forget to take my medicine on time. On these occasions I would end up throwing up, crying hysterically and shaking uncontrollably for hours and hours. Just because I took my medicine a little late. Going off Effexor was one of the worst experiences of my life. I would try anything before that. It was such a bad experience. I hope you find something that works for you.
  8. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

No drug can really do the heavy lifting for us that we need to learn to do for ourselves...and as I discussed yesterday with my integrative medicine internist, there is often a very high price to be paid for the gifts of happiness through chemistry...and a lot of other things that chemistry has been providing us lately in all of our food products, too.

Please check out each of these drugs thoroughly online. There is a wealth of information available to you where you can see all the pros and cons of taking each of them. People are not making up their bad experiences; they are very real. Still, some of us are not as sensitive to different substances in our bodies as others. I, for one, am very sensitive, and I didn't realize that Effexor was killing me.

Unfortunately, we need to check this stuff out and figure it out for ourselves cause our doctors are so busy these days that it seems as though they don't always have all the answers. In a way, how can we expect them to? They haven't known us all that long and don't know our bodies all that well.

A lot of it is trial and error, plain and simple...but our own bodies usually let us know quickly if we are on the right track or not. We do need to listen to it, and I'm as guilty as anyone of not paying close enough attention to what was going on and asking the right questions.

Bebe
  9. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I'd worry about your stopping if you had been taking it for a long time or if you were extraordinarily depressed. If either of those are true -- and I know the first one isn't in your case -- you do need to be more careful.

Otherwise, if you feel bad from the crap now, well, you may feel better at some point if you keep taking it, but I often wonder what actually happens to our bodies as we supposedly "adjust" especially to these types of drugs.

From what I've read these drugs are changing every other system in our bodies while we aren't looking, our hormones, our nervous system; and those things regulate nearly everything else.

So when we start to feel better...what has changed inside us so that the drug doesn't make us feel so bad anymore?

I would hate to think that you just took my word for it, though. There are lots of web sites that tell you exactly what each drug will do if you plug the name into any search engine.

Even the web sites by the manufacturer of the drug itself list most of the problems that people have with the drugs, except for the ones that are really new, like Cymbalta, because there have been fewer people taking it and reporting problems to the FDA. The companies themselves rarely report problems from their own testing.

It is also why I say that if any of us have a problem with any drug, that we should report the problem to the FDA's online complaint site. Then the companies are forced to list them and other people will have access to the information and will know about any problems before they take it themselves.

I should add that if any of these drugs are working well for anyone that is taking them, that this is always a beautiful thing, and I wish them continued success! This rant wasn't meant to stop people from taking things that are working for them or to say that all of these drugs are automatically bad.

It's just that I spent a lot of time recovering and never want to see anyone ever go through what I did, not ever again, if I can do anything to prevent it.