lexapro for Fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tnovins, Sep 9, 2005.

1. tnovins

tnovins New Member

has anyone tryed Lexaro for Fibromyalgia . I started it today, I was told that this is what is used low dose anti despressants...
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

and came to this one. I've read here and heard elsewhere that Cymbalta is a good one. I know a few people taking Lexapro for depression (not all fibros).
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2005]
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

In hopes of treating fibro pain and to help with sleep. I don't take any 'cause they didn't like me and I didn't like the side effects.

The amino acid 5-HTP worked pretty well for me ...
    similar to AD's without the side effects. I gave it up in favor of my main pain medication ... the two weren't a good mix. Something to look into as a option though.

Take care,

Elsa
  4. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i took lexapro for about six months. i have to say that
    of all the drugs i've tried, the lexapro was the best for managing my symptoms. it completely stopped the serious migraines i was having, i slept much better, i was less anxious, it even alleviated my ibs to some degree (serotonin is active in the gut). lexapro+acupuncture and i actually thought i was headed for remission! so why did i go off it? you might ask. it can exacerbate symptoms of fatigue. those who take it just for depression might actually find that they have more energy, but for us CFSers and fibromites, it seems to make fatigue worse. i had the side effects of tinnitus, which was annoying more than anything else, and total lack of sex drive. then there was that terrible emotional hangover about 3 weeks after going off it that eventually went away but made me question the medicine's ability to detach me from my emotions. they have to get out somehow!

i hope that lexapro provides the relief you're looking for. from my own experience and what i've heard from others, it's a good choice if you're entering the realm of anti-depressants. generally well-tolerated with a lower side effect profile than most other ADs.

eddie