Lexapro or prozac

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Connie3, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

Just got out of the hospital for a couple of days because of heart symptoms. Diagnosis was bottomed out potassium and low magnesium.(Have been taking magnesium for 4 years). Heart is fine, thank you Lord! Blood pressure 80-90 over 48-62...very, very, very low. Culprit? Lozol for many years for chronic swelling and tenormin for a couple of years. So, for 2 days they pumped me with potassium and magnesium. BP still low but symptoms of heart trouble and shortness of breath improved. But, whenever I get upset at all, symptoms start screaming. I have stopped lozol and lowered dosage of tenormin.

Question? Dr. suggested med for anxiety and I asked for prozac because I took it for a long time several years ago. Just weaned off cymbalta 3 mos. ago...don't like it.
    Would "lexapro" be a better choice? Does anyone have any suggestions. I am under unbelievable stress right now personally.

Thanks!
  2. KerryK

KerryK Member

I have used both. Prozac can make one quite jittery and restless. Lexapro is very calming and has fewer side effects. I like lexapro very much.

Good luck!
  3. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

Thanks for info. I think I will ask for lexapro. Everyone keep updating me on these. I hate to start one again, but my life is too complicated to cope on my own right now.
  4. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

that's my vote. generally regarded as the ssri with the least amount of side effects to trip over. gets rave reviews from folks with panic/anxiety as opposed to those who are clinically depressed.

eddie
  5. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I've tried both. Lexapro seems to work better on anxiety than Prozac.
  6. cczub

cczub New Member

I was on lexapro for 2 months and it made me very relaxed.. I don't have an anxiety disorders but was put on it anyways to see if it would help.. The only side effect if you can call it that was I had NO emotion at all....

Good Luck
  7. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

On lexapro. I only took it for 4 days because I was too
    uncomfortable with the extreme anxiety. Perhaps the anxiety
    would of left if I stuck to my guns and tried it longer.

Anyone else get bad anxiety on lexapro?
  8. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I've tried many different antidepressants over the past 5 years. My body is hypersensitive so many of them gave me side effects which outweighed the benefit.

One thing I've learned is that these meds, especially the SSRI's (Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro) can cause any number of side effects. One person may get insomnia and feel jittery on Prozac (like me), and another (like my friend Matt) will get very sleepy. Some may gain weight while others will lose weight.

All in all, everyone's biochemistry is different enough that you may have to experiment. Try one to see how it works. Having some side effects are common but see if the benefits outweigh the side effects. If not, move on until you find one that works for you.