lexapro question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Trisa, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Trisa

Trisa New Member

My doc just put me on 10 mg of lexapro.
    I have been taking it for 4 days and already feel alot calmer. The only thing I am worried about
    is when I looked up this drug on the net many many people
    said that it is VERY hard to go off this drug when you want to. has anyone here ever been on this drug and later tried to go off it? Thanks
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I've been on it for a couple months now, and at first 10 mgs. helped my anxiety tremendously.

Now, I'm a mess. There are issues in my life that are anxiety producing, but without some of my other anxiety meds, I'd be a mess...actually, I am a mess.

Just watch for tolerance. I hope that you will escape this inclination, but just beware.

I'm callking my psychiatrist on Monday to get some help. I feel like I'm strangling and it's hard to swallow...the way I exhibit anxiety...also, my breathing is shallow.

I didn't come on here to rant, but looks like that's what I did. I have come off other SSRI's without any trouble. The ones that were HORRID were Effexor and Cymbalta. If you can, I would recommend giving these meds a wide berth.

Anyway, glad the anxiety is better and I hope it continues to work for you.

Sue
  3. Trisa

Trisa New Member

Well the 5th day of tsking this I am a mess!
    My chin quivers nonstop. I wake up hot and feel like I am getting the flu. It was helping so its to bad about the side effects! I dont know what to try next.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm sorry about the side effects. If you've only been on it for 5 days, I'd give it some more time. Usually these meds take time to work and for your body to adapt to.

I guess that's all the info I have, but having taken then meds for years, that is my experience.

Call your doc if you think it's necessary...pray that all will be well.

Sue
  5. meowee

meowee New Member

I started out on Lexapro 10 a year and a half ago, then he boosted me up to 20mg after six months. So, i guess I have been on it over 2 years now with no problems whatsover.

Maybe it would help if you take it at another time. I usually automatically wake up around 3 or 330 am every nite, and that's when I take it. Then I go back to sleep. I never had any side effects and it has helped me with the blues TREMENDOUSLY.

God bless
  6. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

and I had no trouble coming off of it. I had to stop taking it because it gave me bad hot flashes. I hope it continues to work well for you!
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Trisa,

I was on lexapro for several years. My Dr. changed my med to Celexa, due to price reasons for me.

It has not bothered me, so far, and it's been 3 weeks now. I have pretty bad anxiety and was concerned about the change.

Also, it does take some time to get into your system. Like someone said, just give it more time.

Hope it works for you,

BlueSky555