Lexapro vs other AD's. Is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Nov 11, 2005.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

My best friend is down in the U.S. being treated intensively for severe CFS/FM by an old friend. One of the first things he did for her was prescribe Lexapro.

His opinion is that we cannot get better if we continue to feel stressed and anxious and that Lexapro will take care of that and help with sleep as well.

She has called me and suggested that I start on the drug too but I am very leery of AD's after finally getting off of them completely a year and a half ago.

This doctor maintains that Lexapro is different from other AD's - no problem with weight gain and most other side effects. And they don't "fry" our brains like the others.

I have read many posts about this drug on this site - some pro and some con. I am just wondering if anyone knows if this drug is indeed different from the others. And if so, how?

Thanks.
    Pepper
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I have read your posts about the terrible side effects you suffered from Lexapro. Yours are certainly the ones I would put in the "con" column! I was seriously considering asking my dr. for Lexapro last week until I read your posts and those of a few others on this site.

My friend has been taking it for 4 weeks with no side effects yet. She has been hesitant to try any AD's during her 15 yrs of CFS/FM and I am quite surprised that she is so satisfied with it. She has more energy and is feeling better than she has in the 12 yrs since I have known her due to the treatment by this doctor.

My CFS/FM was caused by a bout of mono 13 yrs ago. But since then I have developed many other health problems including depression. I felt so much better on Paxil and then Zoloft but chose to go off of them because of the "brain frying" warning from Dr. Cheney.

I also thought that I would lose weight after getting rid of the AD's but I have gained weight and gone up 2 sizes since then!

My GP does not understand these DD's very well but if I come in with research he ususally does what I ask.

I travel an hour to see a dr. who helps with the CFS but he is concentrating his practice more and more on autism and is not the support in my treatment that he was.

So basically I am trying to figure out how to treat myself. I am so anxious and so depressed and am sleeping in only 10 min. blocks at night (with meds) that I feel I have to do something to get it under control.

Maybe Lexapro is not the answer but, as you say, we are all different and I don't know if I want to risk trying it.

I am wondering how long were you on it to suffer such severe side effects. Do you think that perhaps you had enough seratonin so you did not need it, hence the seratonin syndrome? If you were not depressed, perhaps that is the case.

Thank you very much for your input.
    Pepper
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

I thought I read on this site that Lexapro is not an SSRI. Does anyone know if that is true?

Thanks for any info.
    Pepper
  4. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

Yes, Lexapro IS an SSRI and I think your friend's dr. is incorrect. A lot of people do gain weight on Lexapro as this is a side effect of all SSRI's for some people. Not all. Not everyone gains weight on AD's. I didn't. I was on Prozac before Lexapro and neither made me gain weight but I had a friend who was on Prozac and gained 15 lbs in 2 mths!

When I 1st started Lexapro I suffered from nausea and dizziness but that subsided after a couple of weeks.

I'm now on Cymbalta. I just started it yesterday so we'll see!
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

for your input. If it is an SSRI, I think I should stay away from it. I gained 100 lb on Paxil in less than 2 yrs. If Lexapro causes weight gain, I think I should stay far away from it.

Pepper
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

I am so glad to have that info back! I will read it to my friend next time she calls.

Thanks.
    Pepper