Lexapro vs. Prozac

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I had once heard that lexapro, which is one of the newer meds, is a form of the prozac that, I think, has been around for some time.

I don't even know of anyone that is on the prozac and not sure if it's still on the market or not.

I'm just curious; is this true or was I dreaming, which is very possible, lol! (No, I'm not on it, lol)!

BlueSky555
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hi BlueSky

Lexapro is Escitalopram oxalate

Prozac is Fluoxetine Hydrochloride - yes it is still on the market. Generics are available, which is why the brand company now has an extended release formulation and an approved indication as a once a week for pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder. It is an SSRI - selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

Lexapro is also an SSRI, but it is slightly more specialized in that it is a single isomer.

Single isomer drugs are coming into vogue as they are said to offer the benefits of treatment with less of the side effects that can be associated with drugs that are isomeric mixes (chemical mirrors of each other left-handed molecules and right-handed molecules) - particularly when only one of the isomers has the treatment benefit.

Hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Madame Curie