Lexapro - When do you take it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bct, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bct

bct Active Member

I am trying Lex. again. I have just upped from 5mgs to 10mgs (from one half a pill to whole pill). I've been taking it at night at bedtime, but wonder if morning would be better. Or doesn't it matter?

2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Barry!

I was taking it in the morning and my doctor said not to... it can make you tired. (HA! I thought that was funny, make me tired.) I was so fatigued at the time, I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered. I have started taking it an hour before bed - around 9 PM. I can't really tell a huge difference but that's one thing I could do for the doc!

I love Lexapro... It really has taken my underlying anxiety away. I hope it works for you too!

3. bct

bct Active Member

The reason I asked was because my 80 yr old stepfather takes it in the a.m. and has so much energy it is mind-boggling. But then he doesn't have CFS, and was taking it for anxiety/depression related to grief. I guess I was hoping it had energizing side-effects!

Thanks for your reply,
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I take it in the morning - always have.
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

I took Lexapro for close to two years and recently had to quit because it no longer worked for me.

However when I did take it I had to take it in the evenings because it did contribute to my daytime fatigue.

Everyone reacts to medications differently. If it were me I would try both and see which works best for you.

Good luck,

Karen :)
  6. bct

bct Active Member

I am thinking of taking the Lexapro in the p.m. Any other input would be much appreciated. So far the tilt seems to be towards p.m.

7. bct

bct Active Member

I'm not sure if I can continue with this med. I am soooo tired (CFS), and this seems to add to it. I'm not sure what to do at this point.... I guess I'll try another week or so, but am feeling a bit discouraged with this. Also, the Lex. seems to take my appetite away, and I am losing weight.

8. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I take 10mg at bedtime for depression and anxiety. My doctor swears there are little side effects (which is why I switched to it). I would take it any time during the day if I feel especially anxious. I have had no trouble with it and have been on it for many years!
    Good luck!