Lexapro - When do you take it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bct, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bct

bct Well-Known Member

I am trying Lex. again. I have just upped from 5mgs to 10mgs (from one half a pill to whole pill). I've been taking it at night at bedtime, but wonder if morning would be better. Or doesn't it matter?

2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Barry!

I was taking it in the morning and my doctor said not to... it can make you tired. (HA! I thought that was funny, make me tired.) I was so fatigued at the time, I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered. I have started taking it an hour before bed - around 9 PM. I can't really tell a huge difference but that's one thing I could do for the doc!

I love Lexapro... It really has taken my underlying anxiety away. I hope it works for you too!

3. bct

bct Well-Known Member

The reason I asked was because my 80 yr old stepfather takes it in the a.m. and has so much energy it is mind-boggling. But then he doesn't have CFS, and was taking it for anxiety/depression related to grief. I guess I was hoping it had energizing side-effects!

Thanks for your reply,
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I take it in the morning - always have.
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

I took Lexapro for close to two years and recently had to quit because it no longer worked for me.

However when I did take it I had to take it in the evenings because it did contribute to my daytime fatigue.

Everyone reacts to medications differently. If it were me I would try both and see which works best for you.

Good luck,

Karen :)
  6. bct

bct Well-Known Member

I am thinking of taking the Lexapro in the p.m. Any other input would be much appreciated. So far the tilt seems to be towards p.m.

7. bct

bct Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I can continue with this med. I am soooo tired (CFS), and this seems to add to it. I'm not sure what to do at this point.... I guess I'll try another week or so, but am feeling a bit discouraged with this. Also, the Lex. seems to take my appetite away, and I am losing weight.

8. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I take 10mg at bedtime for depression and anxiety. My doctor swears there are little side effects (which is why I switched to it). I would take it any time during the day if I feel especially anxious. I have had no trouble with it and have been on it for many years!
    Good luck!

[ advertisement ]