Lexapro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksstanley, Oct 17, 2002.

1. ksstanley

ksstanley New Member

Hi! I am new to the board and newly diagnosed with CFS. My doctor wants me to take a small dose of Lexapro for the fatigue. Well, I am scared to death. A couple years ago, I had a problem with panic attakcs and a doctor tried me on Prozac (which made me feel like I wanted to jump out the window) and Zoloft (which gave me horrible nightmares and a euphoric feeling). So, though I know they are a Godsend for some I'm scared to even try this one. But, on the other hand maybe it would give me a little energy so I could play with my kids. Any opinions? What are some other options?
  2. ksstanley

ksstanley New Member

Hi! I am new to the board and newly diagnosed with CFS. My doctor wants me to take a small dose of Lexapro for the fatigue. Well, I am scared to death. A couple years ago, I had a problem with panic attakcs and a doctor tried me on Prozac (which made me feel like I wanted to jump out the window) and Zoloft (which gave me horrible nightmares and a euphoric feeling). So, though I know they are a Godsend for some I'm scared to even try this one. But, on the other hand maybe it would give me a little energy so I could play with my kids. Any opinions? What are some other options?
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Welcome to one of the best places for support and info! I am newly diagnosed with CFS and FM....I don't know anything about Lexapro. Someone may be along shortly who does.
    I had a sensitivity to one of the meds my doctor wanted me to take. He cut the dose down to 1/4 tab, instead of a whole, and very, very, gradually worked me up, over a few weeks time to the recommended dosage....I had no problems doing it that way. Just a thought. Its a decision that should be made, thoughtfully, weighing the possible risks against the benefits.
    Hope to hear how you are doing....
    Karen
  4. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

Hi!

I am in the same boat! I had been on 10 mg of Elavil every night, but asked my Dr to take me off of it because I gained about 25 lbs

My Dr then prescribed Lexapro and I am scared to death of taking it! I also tried Prozac (thought I would go insane) and Zoloft (hated it, made me feel so wierd) so I am real reluctant to try the Lexapro.

I know some people swear by these SSRI meds, but I am so scared of them!

I may try it, and the minute I feel "weird" I will stop taking it!

We may not be good candidates for this class of meds

5. pooky

pooky New Member

I'm a little scared after reading these posts! I was on serzone for 7 1/2 months and was just switched to Elavil (25 mg) and Lexapro (10mg). The Serzone worked good for awhile...lost 25 lbs! It did seem to take care of the pain but I was a major space case. The pain got bad agian so the dr. switched meds. So far tha Elavil is great for the pain, and I am sleeping again. I just started the Lexapro though. I'll give it a month to decide if it's worth the worry.

Let me know how it works for you ( and anyone else reading this!). I'm curoius about this one!

Good luck!
    Pooky