Licorice (dncnfngrs)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Here is some information about licorice. "Small quantities," it says....

I wrote you a long post re Chinese medicine (which may or may not be comprehensible) on my Famvir thread.

Best, Lisa

Chinese Licorice root, or Glycyrrhiza, is one of the greatest herbs known to mankind. Licorice root builds energy and is an excellent digestive tonic. It is the most broad spectrum natural detoxifying agent known, ridding the body of over 1200 known toxins without any distressful side-effects. It also helps regulate the blood sugar level, helping counteract hypoglycemia, a very common imbalance.

Licorice root provides basic nutrients to the adrenal glands. Licorice helps build and strengthen muscle, and it is a natural muscle relaxer. It is very sweet and adds a delicious flavor to herbal teas. Licorice is included in most Chinese herbal teas and formulations because it is said to harmonize all the ingredients in an herbal formula. Licorice root is very powerful and should be used in small quantities.

2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I know this was meant for dncnfngrs but I appreciate this info. I have been interested in licorice lately and have been trying to read stuff about it. This is good information.

Thanks!
    Pam
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Wow, that is fragile.

At first when I came on this board, it was surprising to me how similar people were to me (compared to people without CFS/FM). I never heard anyone else identify with the concept of "herx" before, for instance.

Now what continually strikes me is how different we are from one another, at least in terms of what helps us.

It's a wonder that anyone ever makes any progress at all.

Best, Lisa

4. auntkisty

auntkisty New Member

I am currently receiving IV infusions primarily consisting of licorice. It definitely triggers herxheimer rxn in me and flares me up for at least 4 days. My doctor at the Fibro and Fatigue Center says it will help.? We will see.
  5. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

Thats what I was trying to describe happening to me and my youngest son. In my earlier rambling post.
    So I do think non CFS/FM people can feel these things too, but not know what it is. The sinus thing was probably kinda like the 'cold' symptoms some of you have described.

I had been debating giving Jordan some the Adrenal Energy from the store here. I had just ordered it. But after following some of your posts regarding the licorice and DHEA, I haven't given him any. His a.m. cortisol was about 3 I think the first time, and 'low normal' the next. There is a place called Brightspot here with labs where we can get the adrenal tests. I believe they have a lot of the tests available that have been mentioned here. I just have to check about the insurance coverage or save up the extra $$.

I'm also going to give him a break from just about everything except maybe his liquid Vibe. Which contains a ton of stuff anyway. I don't think he has a feel for the differences between the actual disease and the supplement induced ones. We'll re-introduce things again one or two at time. As some things probably work better in combo.
    Probably keep the milk thistle going.

How much do you suppose 'small quantity" of licorice is?

Thanks everyone for the effort you make to post.
  6. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

Sorry I've created some confusion with regard to my sons.
    It's my oldest Jordan who has the CFS/FM. He is 15 and housebound mostly. The younger son is the one with the reaction to the Threelac. He is a bundle of energy.

This was regarding Jordan
    "I'm also going to give him a break from just about everything except maybe his liquid Vibe. Which contains a ton of stuff anyway. I don't think he has a feel for the differences between the actual disease and the supplement induced ones. We'll re-introduce things again one or two at time. As some things probably work better in combo.
    Probably keep the milk thistle going. "

I was talking about doing the saliva testing. The Brightspot for Health (you can look this place up) is local and has a lab that provides these tests. They have treated CFS/FM patients but I need to find out more about their approach as it is $500 for the initial appointment + recommended treatments and labs. I think they do a lot of cancer patients with high dose Vit.C. I really do want to look into Jordans adrenal function. Low normal in a.m. cortisol doesn't sound right. But per advise, I won't do the Adrenal Energy supplement until I've done the above and know more.
    The licorice in this product is 250mg for 2 pills and the DHEA is 10mg.