Licorice Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pw7575, Feb 23, 2007.

1. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi everyone,

I know some people here have some experience with Licorice. I was just wondering for adrenal support how much would you use to make a cup of tea and would you drink the entire cup or not?

I have seen posts saying to use I think 1/2 teaspoon. Is that of actual root? Do I grind it up? Not sure what it looks like.

I also saw some people say only drink a few sips a day is that right? Will that help my adrenals?

Also will Licorice tea work just as well? And with an herbal licorice tea would I drink the whole cup each day?

Just trying to figure out how this works. I know it can be powerful so I want to make sure I know what I am supposed to do.

THANKS!
    Pam
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Licorice is good for adrenal support. I've been taking it for a while now along with other herbs for the adrenals and no longer need any hormone replacement. With licorice you should take a break from it 1 or 2 days a week, or watch your potassium levels closely if you can.

Here's what I take every day,

1 Tbs Licorice root shredded.
    1 Tbs Astragalus shredded
    1 Tbs Burdock Root shredded

Boil this in 1 1/2 cups water for 15 minutes on low. With root herbs you really have to boil them for a while to extract most of the medicinal qualities. Pour through a strainer and this will make about 1 cup of tea.

Also, during the day I take 1/4 gram Ginseng and 1 gram of Ginger for adrenal support. I take the ginger in a capsule and the ginseng in my smothee, along with some Milke Thistle, more burdock and a bit of licorice all in powder form.

3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

It does help my adrenal fatigue.

I'm hooked on the sweet flavor. No wonder King Tut was buried with Kilos of it. He must have had adrenal fatigue too.

I get the Alvita Tea bags. 30 bags to a box. There is also an Egyptian Licorice which has black pepper. Different but great too.
  4. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I hope it works for me. Don't worry about my blood pressure. I run a low blood pressure so I will be ok with that. Maybe the licorice will help so that I don't get dizzy every time I get up.

Thanks,
    Pam
  5. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

As they heal up, you may notice less dizziness apon standing.

Dr. Richard Wilson N.D. has a great book on the adrenals:
    Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st-Century Stress Syndrome
    $10 at Amazon.

Vitamin B5: Pantothenic acid is also great for them.

Salt craving is another symptom and Dr. Wilson recommends it as it helps.
  6. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thank you dncnfngrs! I will follow you suggestions. I have been reading a lot online about Licorice for a while now. I know how powerful it can be and I know that it is good for many different things.

I also saw your post a while back where you had a very bad time with too much licorice tea that you brewed cause it was just too tasty :). In fact I did save that post in my files. I will be sure to start slow just as you said.

THANKS!
    Pam

7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Glad that Wake mentioned high blood pressure as I was going to take it sometime ago for my stomach problems which I understand it is also supposed to help. I took some and then stopped after someone told me that it was not good for people with Hight b/p problems, which I do.

So everyone take care and watch your b/p if you are takig it. I suggest if you have very hi b/p like mine which also tends to spike, I would NOT take it.

Hugs to all,

Granni (Marilyn)
  8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

it does not raise blood pressure for anyone interested i take this for my stomach i also posted info onit on the message help gastritis