Licorice Root Extract with Glycyrrhizin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gretchen12, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

What brand and what dosage for ADRENAL FATIGUE?

Have read a lot about using licorice w/glycyrrihizin but cannot find out about dosages and brands.

Does anyone on the board know what brand to use?

Thanks,

Gretchen
  2. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Hi Stormyskye,

Thanks, and yes I am trying to do my homework. I just cannot seem to find out about the smallest possible dose to take. Or, if there is a product that has a STANDARDIZED amount of glycyrrihizin in the licorice root extract.

This seems to be the trouble with all types of herbals--no standardization.

I am coming to think more as you do in that we have to take our health in our own hands when it comes to this disease.
    I have not had much luck with doctors. I think that most of them do not actually believe this is physical condition, and the ones who do acknowledge it simply do not have the time or inclination to deal with us. Sooo we are left to try to treat ourselves.

Would love to hear more thoughts on this.

Hugs to all,

Gretchen
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

First, to my knowledge, the licorice with glycyrrihizin is used to increase blood pressure. If your blood pressure is normal (or, especially, high), you should get it without glycyrrihizin.

The prescription medication Florinef also raises blood pressure. I have read occasionally that they should not be taken together. I think this is just because people are afraid that the blood pressure will get _too_ high. Read up on this and/or ask your doctor or pharmacist.

Regardless of whether you're taking Florinef and/or licorice with glycyrrihizin, you should monitor your blood pressure frequently.

A book I have from about 10 years ago ("Optimal Wellness" by Ralph Golan, M.D.) recommends "up to 1/4 teaspoon solid extract three times a day, available from Scientific Botanicals of Seattle, Washington."

I don't know if this is standardized or still available. The book in general is very good, though. I highly recommend it for everyone.

If you don't get this one, I'd just recommend choosing a single expensive brand and sticking with it. They tend to be more careful about making sure the same amount is in each batch.