Life is so much easier since I skipped having periods!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nan2dance, Jan 18, 2006.

1. nan2dance

nan2dance New Member

I haved to share this with you gals who menstruate.

I've been taking the pill "continuously" to skip my periods. It is such a relief! All the extra energy fluctuations, insomnia, pain, tendency to catch bugs with a low immunity, and FM flareups - I don't have to deal with that anymore! Well, I will have my period four times a year, that's all. Already, it has made a tremendous difference. With CFS and FM I have my hands full with unpredictable problems. Well, this is one less variable to contend with. Going into my period, coming out of it, and, of course, during the period - egads! I think, for the first time in years I don't have to figure my cycle into the equation.

When I asked my gyn and MD about doing this they were both blase. "Yeah, sure. People do it for lesser reasons!" How I wish they had thought to suggest it to me years ago. I didn't realize it was even an option till recently. Both reassured me that there were no more problems doing this than with taking the pill in the first place. My gyn told me how to gradually go into this change.

If your periods figure large in your CFS/FM-muddled life, consider doing this! Check it out with your gyn and MD. I wish I had done this years and years and YEARS ago!!!

I'm soooo excited. This is a major change in my healing progress.

~nan2dance
  2. lolee

lolee New Member

I had a hysterectomy a little over 5 years ago so I do not miss them AT ALL!!!

But it makes perfect sense what you are saying and experiencing!!

Can't wait to hear what others say and if theytry it.

I happy you found another thing to help!!

Luv,

Lolee
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

5-6 years ago by ob/gyn and I were trying to find a "pill" mixture that would help hot flashes, mood swings, pms.... we finally settled on just plain progestin. I love it. No periods!
    When we went on vacation last year to Nova Scotia (beautiful place), I forgot to bring them with me and had a period when I got home. Had to go out and buy "supplies". What a drag that was. They keep testing me for menopause yearly (something with the TSH levels), but so far I've not gone through it. I am kissing 52.
  4. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I went on the pill month round a few years ago. I would be in horrible pain and feel like my body and brain were swollen for about 10 days. I am so much happier without that feeling.

Only thing is now when I try certain new medications, like Pamelor or Elmiron, I get that same swollen feeling with intense body pain. I'm not sure what mechanism is off but something does not process in my body.

Any thoughts?
    Shana
  5. lana33

lana33 New Member

I had a hyst in june of last year. I am glad to not have to worry about periods anymore. I, do, however still have pms symptoms. My breasts are swollen, sort of feel blue etc. It is not as bad as before.

I have heard that some women that still have their ovaries still have light periods. I had both ovaries removed but probably would be one of those women.LOL

I put up with heavy bleeding since I was 38(now45). I am glad I finally had the surgery. I had endometriosus also but my doc never knew. He said I had multiple fibroids. So I had cramping that was horrendous also.

I wish they had the pills for 4 times a year when I was younger and didn't have the menstrual problems. I bet eventually, women won't have to have periods at all. I know about depoprovera and I am sure that is good.

I read that back in the olden days, women naturally did not have periods very often. I think it had something to do with the health of women.

Hugs,
    Lana
  6. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I am also on the depo shot, so I never have periods and it is one of the best things I have done for myself!! I have been on it for about 3 years now. It has helped a great deal with my migraines and my pain, fatigue, etc. which were affected by my periods.
  7. nan2dance

nan2dance New Member

My docs didn't mention that as an option. Do you know if insurances typically cover that? Aside from the nuisance of taking a pill every day, is there any pro to doing one or the other? Less health risks? I assume your doc administers the shots?

I still have to say WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! What a load has been lifted! Now I can just deal with regular old CFS/FM! Maybe I can make more progress now.

~nan2dance
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 32 (I am now almost 55) and it was the BEST surgery that I ever had!!! Don't regret it one minute!!!

Like someone else said, I wish they had those pills for only having a period 4 times a year when I needed them!!!!

Having the hysterectomy also helped me get rid of my migraines!
  9. nan2dance

nan2dance New Member

Maybe I should mention...

I'm not actually taking those pills they are advertising on tv for 4 periods a year. But it is because of those commercials that I called my gyn. I was already on the pill. There is one week of "placebos" in the packs that I have. She simply told me to skip the placebos and take the little blue pills "continuously". So just to clarify for those of you considering doing this, I didn't even have to switch prescriptions.

There are so many types of pills out there so this may not be the procedure for you. Also, she had to give me specific instructions for "weaning off the periods" gradually. After our phone conversation she popped a scrip into the mail for me to give my pharmacist specifying that the dosage was now "continuous" so they'd be willing to fill the RX more frequently. My insurance covered this fine.

It's been great reading how skipping/getting rid of periods has helped other people with cfs/fm.
    ~nan2dance
  10. STML

STML New Member

Hi!

Was just wondering of you could tell me more about taking the pill to stop periods, did the doctor tell you it's perfectly safe to take it continuously and how long can you do this for as I find thats the time that most holds me back, just scared I might mess my system up. Sorry for all the questions, but thinking of doing this almost definitely, new here to site and really encouraging

Thanksxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  11. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

nan2dance -

For my depo shots and my insurance, all I have to pay is my doctor's visit co-pay (which is $25) every three months. Everything else is covered by insurance - so not only is it so much more convenient for me, but it is cheaper too!!

And for me, it was because of very, very painful periods that I went with the depo shot and now because of recently diagnosed genetic blood mutations, it turns out that the depo shot is one of the only safe forms of birth control I can use. Because I am at high risk of blood clots, I can't have anything with estrogen in it and the depo shot is one of the few forms of BC that doesn't contain estrogen.

As with all meds, there are some who have horror stories about terrible reactions to the shot and some who have had problems regulating their periods once they stop the shots. But for me it has been wonderful. I've been on it for about 3 years now and it was actually recommended to me by a friend who was on the shot for 8 years before she stopped to have a baby (which she did and had no issues with any after effects).

It is something to talk to your OB/GYN about if you think it would be a good choice for you.
  12. nan2dance

nan2dance New Member

Thanks for the info renae! I will definitely talk to my gyn about it.

stml, my docs told me that taking the pill continuously is as safe as taking the pill in the first place. There are risk factors, I believe, for the pill such as if you are a smoker. But your gyn should be able to inform you of contraindications and complications properly if you are not already taking the pill. There are different kinds of pills with different mixes of hormones. They just started advertising a pill specifically packaged for the purpose of having only one period per season. I'm taking my original one "continuously" and the gyn gave me instructions how to do this. The upshot is that I take it in such a way that I will have periods every three months (4x/year). I thought it was weird to not menstruate but the gyn told me it's not a problem to the body. So far I haven't experienced ANY of the MANY ROTTEN problems I was having associated with my cycle. Or any other problems besides. The first month I was going to skip it there were a couple days when my body thought it should start PMS-ing because it didn't know yet I wasn't going to let it. The cycle had not yet been broken. But then it stopped fussing and I was fine. Only good so far! :-D I'm curious to see what the actual period will be like.
  13. bell9383

bell9383 New Member

hi every one

I just come off the pill as i was having severe headaches from july the only time i didnt have one was when i did have my period during my seven day break. So i also think it depends on whether your body can take the hormones the pill gives you. I had been fine for the 9 years i was on it but all of a sudden my body has said it cant take it any more. Come to think of it now i have had an iud fitted my body is rejecting that to as all it does is cramp up in the stomach and give me a constant period but no head ache. But after two weeks i now think that will have to be removed as well. The last thing i want at the moment through all this is an unwanted pregnancy if i cant take any of the pills. We all seem to suffer with so many different complaints with fibro it would be much easier if we could all say i have that.
    As it stands at the moment i can put up with the bleeds rather than a migraine that doesnt allow me to work or carry out daily tasks when it gets so bad. So be carefull you may have to experiment as to what you can all take may be good for one but not another. Any way id still like the name if it helps me out of the situation i now find my self in.

bell9383
  14. STML

STML New Member

nan2dance,

Much appreciate your info on this, the pill advice, am going to speak to doctor about it,
    yours sincerely,
    STMLxxxxxxxxxx

[ advertisement ]