Light Load more painfull than Heavy Loads?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Svette_Palme, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

Do Fibro pains come on from doing lightweight activities more than from heavy activities?

It would be very difficult to know the difference, since we probably use the small muscles along with the larger muscles, for both light and heavy loads, so it might just feel like the big ones hurt but really it is the small ones.

I was carrying a small camp chair to the back yard, and my arm got tired and painfull right away, as usual, but instead of stopping to rest I hoisted the chair up high and managed to finish the task. ["latent onset of pain" did occur of course, and it still hurts between my shoulder blades now]

Some of the research by Dr. Alan Light, and others, says things such as:
    ".... the average duration of the differential activations significantly longer in fibromyalgia compared with controls at the two lowest load levels (0-1 Kg) (p<0.04), but not at the two highest load levels (2 and 4 Kg). "

Or maybe it is not so simple as I want it to be. Here is another quote that suggests that different parts within muscles are acting differently, so maybe it is just one part of each muscle that hurts, but doing light load tasks could still be what brings it on -
    Quote #2: "duration of the differential activation between regions within a single muscle"

If this is true, it would be earth shattering for Fibro research, and possibly could lead to more accurate and definite diagnosis.

Is he onto something here? Does anyone understand what I am trying to say???

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

My S-I-L and I were just discussing this yesterday. She has FM and was mentioning that she can clean all the carpets in their house with her carpet cleaner and not suffer for doing it, yet she if sweeps the kitchen floor with a broom, she is in severe pain. It doesn't make any sense.
  3. lynncats

lynncats New Member

My arms get tired/sore just from combing my hair, now that stinks (and I'm not a "hair styling person). Carrying anything makes them feel like lead/weak. Good luck to you.

4. loto

loto Member

I can wash dishes for 30 minutes straight, but if I carry a shopping bag with a pair of jeans and a sweater, for instance, for 10 minutes, my arms will be so tired and hurting. I'll have to switch the stupid bag from arm to arm just for that short 10 minute time period!
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

This happens to me too. Carrying a lightweight shopping bag for a short time makes my arms sore and achey.

I found out though that the fibromyalgia pain I have is due to a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection I've had for 22 years. (lyme)

I am treating the lyme and my pain has been getting better in my neck and head.
  6. loto

loto Member

That's great that your treatment is helping!
    I'm still wondering about that type of lyme infection with myself. But, at the moment I've not pursued it. Someday I'll request another test for it.

7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Thanks, loto!!

I wish I knew 20 years ago, everything I know now.

So many wasted years suffering.

I hope you get answers someday and recover.