Light sensitivity...do you experience that?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Jan 18, 2006.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I have heard it is a symptom of CFIDS, just wondered if some of you have noticed it. My son was driving me around to shop (he's the one with CFIDS) since I recently had my second foot surgery. Anyway, he wanted to go down a street that didn't have
    "so many lights." It occurred to me that he was sensitive to the lights. By the way, he's doing well with school so far!
  2. foxyartist

foxyartist New Member

I have had that problem for years. I have to always wear sunglasses when driving - any glare gives me instant headaches. For years, I had to tint my glasses. In restaurants that have those hanging single lights, I usually have to switch seats with my boyfriend so I can "face" the least lights, or I can get a migraine. Night driving is the worst, I can't look at any oncoming cars. I read once, in some driving article, that the best way to avoid glare at night is to mostly keep your eyes on the white lines, so that the glare is not in your center of vision. Also, I find driving in the slow lane - as far as possible from the oncoming cars - helps a lot. I also move my side mirror so that I can't see out of it at all, because I can't take the cars headlights from in back of me. I only turn it back (it's a remote) if I know I have to pass someone. In the house, I find that incandescent light is much easier than any flourescents. With florescents, I find that the room keeps going from looking too bright to dim, then back again, like my eyes playing tricks.
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

At work I have the bulb taken out of the light directly above my desk. Night driving is rough and I really hate the new blueish Halegon headlamps.
  4. motomom412

motomom412 New Member

As far back as I can remember, my eyes have been extremely sensitive to any type of light.

I also cannot drive at night.

Regene
  5. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

it sometimes feels like my eyes are on fire in bright light!
    Eye exams where they use that bright light make my eyes water and my nose run.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Plus night vision problems. I thi nk that ALL schools could save a lot on behavior issues if they just installed daylight light bulbs instead of the flickering harsh neon lights that many kids are ultra sensitive too and precipitates irritation. Wearing lightly tinted sunglasses can help a lot, just try a few on and look at a light and see which works best. By the way in UK dyslexia is helped by the use of clored perspex shhets being put on top of page those of you sensitive to compyter screen may want to try this.
    Anne
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

I've had it more this year than in others. I completely understand. There are days when its really sunny out, and I wish it was cloudy. Never had that before now.

K.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2006]
  8. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Very light sensitive, and I can hear flourescent lights, too! Same with computer monitors/tvs -- I can hear if they are on.

I used to go into a full blown panic attack every time I went into home depot/target/etc with all the flourescent lights, etc. It isn't nearly as bad now -- I think the antidepressants help with that.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's not just sensitivity to light; all our senses can become overwhelmed. I am very sensitive to smells and loud noises, as well as harsh lighting. Movement can drive me nuts. There are days I don't want anyone to touch me.

Sensory overload may be a symptom of a slight state of seizure in our brains. It is common with these illnesses. That is why Neurontin and Klonopin help us feel better.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To the post about clonazepam. I posted Cheney's article on Klonopin there. It explains the seizure state.

Love, Mikie
  11. jana15

jana15 New Member

My brain and body totally shut down as a response to bright lights, loud noise and strong smells. I have to go to bed...it totally zaps me. My friends think I'm crazy and my daughter knows better than to try and take me to a mall... all those competiting noises, lights, smalls etc...total torture!

Cheers Jana
  12. LACurrry

LACurrry New Member

Both lights and loud sounds bother me now. I used to be the sun goddess...LOL. Now, in the summer, I go out before it gets too bright or in the evenings when the sun is setting. Used to love concerts and playing my cd's loud...can't stand it anymore. My husband still loves loud music so I just quietly go lay down when he does.
  13. PenneyLynn

PenneyLynn New Member

I have certain things that can just send me around the bend. I think it even helped in the break up of my marriage. I am very sensitive to smells and noices and yes lights as well. One thing that will drive me to atacking verbally is the smell of coffee. I can not take the smell of , well to me it is over brewed coffee, or strong coffee made in a coffee maker. My husband did this all the time, I think on purpose cause he thought I was nutts for this. It would wake me out of a dead sleep, the smell of the coffee that is.
    Also , if a t.v. or radio station was not tuned in exactly right it would drive me nutts, I would have to turn it off. Any sound can do it to me. I have been like this for years, never any worse and never any better. People just think I am crazy. Going into stores with the lights, I have to be real quick and get out as soon as possible or I have to leave everything behind and do it another day.
    Penney
  14. jana15

jana15 New Member

I'd forgotten how bad Malls and department stores can be as I've avoided them for many years now. The combination of loud, competing noise and music as well as the flickering lights and sickly sweet smells being deliberately pumped out from the candy stores to supposedly entice shoppers to buy.

I remember a few years ago, before I knew better, going on a shopping trip with two old friends of mine who were visiting from out of town. They hadn't seen me ill and had no idea what was happening when I started to shake and having to cover my eyes and ears and lie down on a shop bench.

One of my friends actually said there and then that she thought I was being just a bit melodramatic and afterall it was my idea for us to go to town. Fortunately my daughter was with us and politely and effieiently got me out of the Mall before I was violently ill. She then organised a taxi and got me home into a my beautiful quiet bedroom. That trip put me into be for about a month.

Sadly, my old friend still thinks I was pulling a stunt for attention and subsequently, we haven't visited eachother since. We still talk on the phone, but I don't bother trying to explain to her about the illness as she's read an article a few years ago which said it was a non existent 'yuppie' malaise and of course the article was correct because it was written by a Dr.

Have a lovely day

Cheers Jana
  15. jaltair

jaltair New Member

It is really bad. If I'm out even for just a few minutes I will turn red as a beat and sometimes get a rash. Also, I usually develop one heck of a head ache in the sun. Sun glasses are a must as well as wearing clothes to protect me. I can't get into hats although I know that they are the "in" thing these days.

I use to love the sun and be in it all the time (sunny CA you know!). It's a real drag for me to avoid doing anything outside. I'd rather be outside than indoor any day. I use to prefer yard work to housework.