Light Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Dec 27, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Anyone else really light sensitive? I've struggled with this for a long time. It's been pretty bad lately. The sun HURTS my eyes. There are so many times when I'm just like OWWWWWWWW. And wishing it was night. I'm so light sensitive that I can feel when the sun is coming up and I just die from it when it's acting up like this. It's awful.
  2. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

It does not have to be sunny out for me to put on my sun glasses. I never had floaters prior to having this illness. At age 23 when I became ill, that is when I went to the eye doc, in between all of my reg doc appts, and he said my eyes are good, except for that I have tons of floaters. I'm thinking, really? LOL! I could've told him that without going in for an appointment.

I cannot feel when the sun is coming up... however, my eyes are extremely sensitive to light.

Fight :)
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Yes, I have light sensitivity also.

I have lyme and it is a common lyme symptom.

I almost always wear sunglasses outside and those bright lights at Walmart reflecting off their bright white floors always make me squint and feel a sense of dread.
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Floaters were one of my very first symptoms. Never had an eye problem in my life till I got sick. Then I got the floaters, I also had some eye blurriness, but the blurriness got better. The floaters never went away and I still have one that is right in my line of vision.
  5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

When the eye doctor said he wish he had my eyes, since I have 20-15 vision, almost perfect eye sight, I told him he could have them, if he could put up with all of the floaters. I have so many I cannot even count. I also see all of the air bubbles trapped in my eyes, floating around, bumping into each other. I never had this prior to getting really sick, with what they thought was lyme disease, and later dx it as lymes possible, fms, cfs, and mps.

People think I'm a vampire when I wear sunglasses all of the time and close curtains all of the time. I can see in the dark pretty well, but don't ever make a room too bright.

Fight :)
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have floaters too...another lyme symptom.

for anyone interested...see pages 9-11 for the symptom list..
  7. hi all,
    i have found over this past year that i have bouts of having light sensitivity,just the same as i have bouts of sinus problems and allergies.

on a flare, i cant be near my dog,i will smell urine in the room where the dog its coming off his coat.

another day i can be next to him and smell nothing.isnt that strange?

it sort of comes and goes,as does light sensitivity and migraine flashes, in my sight...quick.. white flashes of light.

a flare up of these things always seems to trigger a migraine the next day.

my last migraine was a abdominal one,i was extremely sick,but felt so much better after two days of the vomiting.

turns out i was tired from working,doing the christmas shop,and then preparing the house for visitors, (i,d over done things).

i did also go on to have the flu but recovered enough to cook christmas day dinner,thank goodness.

two days rest, eased my CFS, and the muscle spasms in my legs are much calmer now.

take care all.fran.
  8. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've had severe light sensitivity for many years. Have to blackout my bedroom windows; wear sunglasses "always" if go outside (rare to do); don't put lights on in the house unless it's pitch black. Have these little plug in angel night lights throughout. That works well.

Well basically, I live like a "mole". My little toy dog is the same way, so we get along well.
  9. hi all,
    im reminded of a talk i had with a gentleman, outside the hospital where id visited my sons girlfriend.

i asked the gentleman why he had been to the hospital today,his reply was this....

ive started seeing tiny black specs in my vision and it scared me,so ive been sent for a eye check up.

he told me that all was reported to be well with his eyes,and that floaters can be tiny bleeds from tiny veins in the eyes,and are nothing to worry about. many people get them.

i,d say he was in his 60,s.

i have floaters now and then,so does my mum used to get them too.

maybe its due to slightly increased blood pressure, in times of worry and stress.

take care,fran.
  10. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Forgot one other thing. For years I've used the "full spectrum" lightbulbs, which are natural. Other bulbs; especiall flourescent ones zap your body.

This house has so many lights that I've had most of them unscrewed, and then wherever I do use a few lights, I use these.
  11. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I used to never be without sunglasses too. My light sensitivity issues were so bad that sometimes I would vomit when the sun light bounced off the chrome on a car in front of me. It would just trigger the worst migraines.

Around year 2.5 of Lyme treatment, I found that I could go outside in any kind of weather without sunglasses. It's kind of funny when I'm on the back of my DH's motorcycle and I've forgotten to put on some kind of glasses now. I have to make him stop so I can climb off and put them on because it's illegal in most states not to wear protective eye gear while on a motorcycle.
    It's just wonderful to not have my eyes tear up and water the way they used to do.
  12. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

many days i wear sunglasses in my home .
    Wish i knew how to adjust the computer screen brightness down. any idea?
  13. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

There are alot of ways of adjusting a pc screen's brightness. Right click the desktop and choose personalize or look for the video settings in there. You can change it to anything you like.
  14. cerise

cerise New Member

goes with the territory! There's also sensitivity to sound & smells too. I guess it depends on the individual & what 'stage' or degree that you have this disease. Listen to your body, don't fight it. Adjust accordingly.
  15. consuegra

consuegra New Member

Has anyone gained an insight of what causes light sensitivity and/or eye pain? Is there any treatment for it? I have heard various explanations: Lyme disease, viruses in the eye or brain, low adrenal, high H2S in the gut and so forth. It is rumored that some people's eye sensitivity goes away with anti-virals.

Any ideas?

16. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Yes, Lyme absolutely causes light sensitivity, sound sensitivity, and even abnormal smells.

The cause would be a Borrelia burgdorferi (a bacterial spirochete) infection and inflammation of the brain and cranial nerves that affect those senses.

see symptom list pages 9-11.....
  17. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Count me in. A big problem. And yes those floaters don't ever go away!
  18. butterflydream

exactly what i needed for the screen brightness change.
    Hopefully i'll get the brightness toned down here, white background here is too much bright white. Thanks a zillion
    wish you a good 2010 New Year too.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

19. butterflydream

exactly what i needed for the screen brightness change.
    Hopefully i'll get the brightness toned down here, white background here is too much bright white. Thanks a zillion
    wish you a good 2010 New Year too.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

20. Sonny1

Sonny1 New Member

I went through every eye doctor and even a neuro.
    All was fine there. I ended up getting tinted contacts they are rare , the ones that cover the pupils, but not more costly. They help a lot. I have sensitivity to everything. I feel my extra eye sensitivity is due to long term klonipin use, or anxiety. I ran out of Klonipin and my eyes went crazy. I was very uncomfortable also, being in withdrawl. It's frustrating.