lilibird & june-bug...Carousel Network Meeting Saturday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAAnnieB, Sep 29, 2005.

1. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi Angelina & Cathy,

Just thought I'd forward this info I received from the Carousel Network support group. The October meeting is Saturday & here's a blurb about it. The speaker sounds very interesting! I might go this month...

"This is your final reminder that The Carousel Network's October meeting will be held this Saturday, October 1, in the Conference Room at Palm Drive Hospital. The meeting will start at 2:00 p.m., and run until approximately 4 p.m.

This will be a special meeting, hosted by DR. TIMOTHY J. SMITH, MD, where you will be able to "ASK THE DOCTOR" questions on any topic you can think of related to health or your illness. Come prepared with your questions, writing them down ahead of time if possible so that we can get as many questions in as time allows. Initially, each person will be alllowed to ask one question, until everyone who wants to ask a question has done so, or our time is up. After that, we will then open the floor to allow additional questions. And please remember that Dr. Smith will not be offering medical advice for your specific situation at this meeting. You should seek the advice of your own treating physician before changing any of your treatment protocols.

Dr. Smith is one of the area’s leading physicians treating complex illnesses. He has been studying and practicing alternative, nutritional and conventional healing principals for over 30 years. His distinguished and extensive background includes traditional western medical school, and recognition as a leader in bringing traditional Chinese medicine to this country, resulting in his being one of the first American physicians to be invited to the People’s Republic of China. He has established a general family practice in Berkeley, where he integrates conventional medical practices with alternative modalities, using telephone consultation for his international client base.
    MEETING LOGISTICS:

Date & Time:
    Saturday, October 1, 2005, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.

Palm Drive Hospital
    501 Petaluma Avenue
    Sebastopol CA 95472 "

How are you both? How was your camping Cathy? Angelina- Are you going to try the Y warm water exercising?

Blessings,

Anne
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2005]
  2. lilbird

lilbird New Member

Its nice to hear from you. My camping trip was nice but it was a little to much for me. I got a really bad cold and have just been wiped out sense I got back.

the meeting does sound interesting. I may try and go if I am feeling better. I dont have anything else going that day and it would be a good opportunity to meet you.

Cathy
  3. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi Cathy,

I'm SO sorry to hear that you've been ill with a cold. Try to take good care of yourself. Hopefully you had fun camping? I haven't been camping in years ): In my pre-Fibro life; I loved to camp & be outdoors!

I'm not sure if I will make it to the Carousel meeting...I usually decide at the last minute.(Always depends upon how I'm feeling!) If you do go...People wear nametags, so I should be easy to find. I don't remember there being any other Annes in the group before! I'll look for a Cathy!

Maybe we could let each other know one way or another on Sat. morning by posting again on this thread. I could even tell you what I'm wearing to make it easier to spot me!

It's been way too long since I've gone to one of the Carousel meetings! They really are quite good. I'm interested in this Dr. because it sounds like he knows what he's doing with Western & alternative treatments. Dr's like this are sure difficult to find!

Hope you feel better VERY soon!

Blessings,

Anne
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2005]
  4. june-bug

june-bug New Member

Annie, I have been flared due to stress from work, Ive lost half of my staff and have to do double the work while trying to interview and train new staff so I havent been able to call & find out about aquatics yet. Can you explain to me about carousel and what they do. Is it based on lyme disease specifically or on all complex illnesses. My kids usually have me running around on Saturday but it sounds interesting. I like the idea of posting before the meeting I hope ill feel better by Saturday.I have the worst cervical area pain and little painful jolts in the muscles around my eyes and temples. Yuck!
    My primary Doc is right next door to palm drive, I know where it is. I wonder what question Id ask...when they narrow it down to one question unspecific to ones own case its hard to decide. Let me know if you guys are going its 1:30 A.M. now I think ill go lay down & cross my fingers in hope that I can get to bed and wake up with my jaw still intact! Angelina
  5. lilbird

lilbird New Member

I will check and post tomorrow if I will be going to the meeting or not. I have never been before, I am sure it would be informative. I've been in the house all week so it would be good for me to just get out of the house and meet some new people.

Angilina I'm sorry you don't feel well. Its so hard to work when you are sick. I stopped working almost 2 years ago. I now watch my 2 year old granddaughter full time, my 7 year old niece part time and sell Mary Kay. This allows me to make some money and take a nap on most days with my granddaughter.

Cathy
  6. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

I'm sorry you have been so stressed at work, Angelina. Ugh...That certainly does not help with the physical stuff. I hope that things settle down for you soon.

If you would like more info on the Carousel Network, just Google it. They have a pretty decent website which explains a lot. (Better than I could!)

I think I'm gonna go today. I really think it would be interesting to hear this Dr. And also to hear others questions! It would be similar to here...Usually other people are wondering the same things you are!

I too can't think right off of one question to ask, but maybe once I'm there & others start in; I'll become inspired! If not; I'll just take in whatever info is shared.

Do you think you will be going?

Anne
  7. lilbird

lilbird New Member

Good Morning. I don't think I am going to make it today. I still don't feel very well. I can't seem to get rid of this cold. Its a nasty one. I might have a sinus infection. I'm on heavy duty ABX I don't even know if I could get an infection right now.

Hope you guys are doing well. Have a good weekend.

Cathy
  8. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Take real good care of yourself! I hope you respond quickly to the antibiotics.

I'll let you know what I learn at the meeting, if you are interested!

Get Well soon,

Anne
  9. june-bug

june-bug New Member

I havent checked in since thursday or friday, Im still feeling awful. My 11 year old had a cold/sinus infection with a fever the past few days and I think my bodies been feeling so bad trying to fight the same bug shes got. I missed the meeting but Im wondering if either of you went. CATHY- I know youve been feeling bad too, I hope this passes quickly.. When I get a cold all of my other pain and neurological stuff gets worse as well. All of the muscles in my face are twitching like crazy and I have that shooting nerve pain in my face as well as the sinus pain and sore throat. ANNIE I googled carousel, good site. Let us know about this Dr. and his thoughts if you made the meeting. Keep in touch! Angelina
  10. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi ladies!

Yes, I did go on Saturday. It ended up being a LONG meeting! There were so many people in attendance & everyone had a question (s) for the Dr. After an intro, etc, the Dr. started taking questions around 2:30. I left at 5 P.M. as they were just winding things up!

In the beginning; he stated that he was not an expert on Lyme, so he couldn't answer much about that subject...There are a lot of people in the group who are treating their Lyme. He said that Wayne Anderson (P.A. with Dr. Eric Gordon? I think!...Fibro Fog is thick this A.M. :) ) had just been a guest presenter at the last Carousel meeting & he's the one who is very up on Lyme.

Anyway,...the questions people had were very diverse! The questions & answers covered a wide range of subjects/ symptoms! I found it to be interesting. I asked him about my chronic Gastritis. He's the first person who I've heard say to treat for H. Pylori even if your test is negative! He said the test is very unreliable. The H.Pylori hides out behind the stomach lining & then comes out at times to feed on stomach acid, etc.!

Anyway...His treatment of stomach woes (which he believes are from H.Pylori) is:

Mastica (Greek herb which kills H.Pylori)
    Pepto Bismul (Bismuth attacks/ helps kill H.Pylori)
    Proton Pump Inhibitor med (Prilosec, Nexium, Prevacid, etc.)

Do this treatment for one month after symptoms are gone. I'm going to try it! I've been dealing with Gastritis/ stomach pain for years! I'm already on the Prevacid, but it alone has not done the job. (Do either of you have stomach problems? If you want the exact mg/ doses on treatment, let me know.)

He talked a lot about hormonal imbalances, what supplement companies are reputable, exercise, etc, etc...If you have any particular areas of interest (besides Lyme), I'll look at the notes I took to see if I can pass on some info for you. I wrote down quite a bit from the meeting.

It was worth going for me. I will be watching to see what's coming up at the November meeting. Last year I was a member ($20 membership fee) & I received their newsletter. You don't need to be a member to attend the meetings. They DO have a terrific library of books & videos. They always video the meetings, so you can watch past speakers. You DO need to be a member to check things out of the library.

I probably already told you about Melissa Kaplan's Anapsid website. (Just Google her name or Anapsid) She has TONS of Lyme info on her site. She is the past President of Carousel. If you go to her site, it's also about Iguanas! Look on the index for Chronic NeuroImmune Diseases...(on left, underneath photos of her Iguana books!)

I hope you both start feeling better VERY soon. My 18 year old has had a cold this weekend. I usually fight off most colds & flus (hyper vigilant immune system?) so I'm hoping I don't get it!

Take care,
    Anne
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2005]
  11. lilbird

lilbird New Member

Everyone I talk to has just had it, is just comming down with it, or has it. I am starting to feel better, just a little congestion left. I am however very fatigued. I'm not sure if its for the cold or all the new meds I'm taking. Probably its a combo. Anyway I hope you can fight it off.

Anne, Sounds like it was a good meeting. I am sorry I wan't able to make it I would have liked to have met you. I have had stomach problems for as long as I can remember. I had my gall bladder out in May and I have had less symtoms sense then. I also have been on two different digestive enzymes that the Dr. at the FFC in L.A. put me on. They too have helped.

Its nap time here. My husband works nights so he's napping and my granddaughter is taking her nap. As much as I love the peace I think I'm going to join them.

Take care,

Cathy