Link between Beta Blockers/Melatonin/Seratonin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Oct 15, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

Interestingly, Tenormin was the VERY FIRST maintainance drug I was prescribed, back in early 80's, even before I had my first child. So I was early twenties.

I'll post the "Interesting" paragraph on Beta Blocker and Melatonin, first. Then I'll post the entire article.

_Beta blockers are a class of drugs used to treat heart problems. Common brand names include Inderal, Tenormin, and Lopressor (Toprol). People who take beta blockers to block beta receptors in their heart, block receptors in their brains as well. Blocking neal receptors interferes with the synthesis of melatonin.

The extent of the disruption caused by beta blockers to circadian rhythms, and the important hormones that depend on these rhythms was illustrated by an animal study showing that ingesting a beta blocker before bedtime is like leaving the lights on all night. Serotonin levels, which normally drop at night, remain unnaturally high: SAMe doesn't decrease, and melatonin doesn't increase. What occurs when beta blockers are taken before bedtime looks a lot like sleep deprivation.

SAMe for depression, anxiety, sleep disorders. It is an important natural substance produced by the body. A lack of SAMe can cause liver damage, arthritis, cardiovascular problems, depression, anxiety and sleep disorders. SAMe can be used safely and effectively as an alternative to Prozac.

What is SAMe ?

Read what Dr. Richard Brown has to say about SAMe in his new book: "Stop Depression Now"

SAMe, (which is also known as SAM or AdoMet) is a synthetic form of a natural metabolite of the amino acid methionine. SAMe is of great importance because it is a cofactor in a number of critical biochemical reactions. SAMe is the precursor for three fundamental biochemical pathways and it is found in almost every tissue of the body. SAMe has been used in clinical studies to treat depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, demyelination diseases, liver disease, dementia, arthritis, and other conditions. It was recently published in the Journal of Neurochemistry that brain levels of SAMe in Alzheimer's patients are severely decreased.

Why is it so important?

S-Adenosylmethionine SAMe, promises to be one of the most potent, multipurpose antiaging, anti disease therapy identified by Medical science. It is a natural metabolite of the amino acid methionine, and SAMe appears to be a nontoxic, antiaging, health enhancing blockbuster that could do wonders for every one of us.

SAMe is the most effective natural agent known for methylation in the body - a process new research has shown to be a critical process is preventative health. Not only does adequate methylation protect the body from most serious diseases, a lack of it can trigger the onset of diseases, including cancer. Aging symptoms are usually caused by a deficiency in methylation, and taking SAMe is the safest and fastest way to reverse this.

What Does SAMe Do?

On a cellular level, SAMe:

Maintains mitochondrial function
    Prevents DNA mutations
    Restores cellular membrane fluidity so that cell receptors become better able to bind hormones and other factors
    Protects the liver against alcohol, drugs and cytokines. It protects against cholestasis (bile impairment or blockage). It may protect against chronic active hepatitis. It protects against liver damage caused by MAO inhibitors and anticonvulsants. It reverses hyperbilirubinaemia.
    Protects against neuronal death caused by lack of oxygen (anoxia). It regenerates nerves and provokes remyelination of nerve fibers.
    Reduces the pain of arthritis, and assist with join healing.
    May protect against heart disease
    Has antidepressant action equal to, and faster than FDA-approved drugs, and is essential for the synthesis of melatonin.
    Assists with sleep disorders, particularly those which are induced by the side effects of pharmaceutical drugs
    LIVER DISEASE

SAMe is the liver super-nutrient. Nothing comes close to providing the spectrum of health benefits that SAMe provides for the liver. Based on published clinical trials, elevating SAMe levels can have a powerful effect on many conditions. As a preventive agent, SAMe is so powerful that it can reverse the effects of chemicals and alcohol as they occur. Studies show that low SAMe levels create the conditions for liver cancer, and that SAMe can prevent these conditions from occurring.

SAMe is the central player in liver biochemistry. It does two crucial things: It methylates, and it transforms itself into the liver's most vital substance, glutathione. Glutathione is crucial for liver function. A good portion of liver SAMe is turned into glutathione, which is the liver's natural antioxidant

ARTHRITIS
    Research shows that SAMe is an effective treatment for arthritis. According to the Arthritis Foundation, 15.8 million Americans have osteoarthritis. Another 2.1 million have rheumatoid arthritis, and 3.7 million have fibromyalgia. After age 65, a person can almost count on having some degree of osteoarthritis or osteoporosis

The standard treatment for arthritis hasn't changed in decades: aspirin, steroids, NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), gold treatments, immune-suppressing drugs, exercise and weight loss, walking sticks and surgery. Although arthritis is usually thought of as a cartilage disease, researchers at the University of Bristol have discovered that bone is also involved. An enzyme that degrades collagen is breaking down the lattice network inside bone called "cancellous bone".

Clinical trials have proven that SAMe works for fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. New data indicates it may help rheumatoid arthritis patients. It alleviates pain as well as NSAIDs, without the side effects. Not only does it work as well as NSAIDs, it may protect against the side effects these drugs cause. SAMe apparently counteracts cytokines, protects cartilage, inhibits destructive free radicals, and may reverse the effects of homocysteine on cartilage and/or inhibit enzymes. In clinical trials, SAMe alleviated pain and improved mood.

SAMe is a substance which is naturally made in the body. No serious side effects have ever been reported with SAMe, even in high doses administered intravenously.

CHOLESTEROL AND HEART DISEASE

A recent review in Archives of Internal Medicine dealt with 24,968 people in 34 studies who participated in trials of cholesterol lowering regimens to prevent coronary artery disease. The reviewers found that while lowering cholesterol by 10% or more reduced the risk of dying of a heart attack in middle aged males somewhat, no conclusions could be reached for women and elderly people.

It appears that cholesterol may have less to do with heart disease than the public has been led to believe. The recent data on homocysteine and heart disease suggests that levels of SAMe and its opposite, homocysteine, have more to do with heart disease than cholesterol.

Beta blockers are a class of drugs used to treat heart problems. Common brand names include Inderal, Tenormin, and Lopressor (Toprol). People who take beta blockers to block beta receptors in their heart, block receptors in their brains as well. Blocking neal receptors interferes with the synthesis of melatonin.

The extent of the disruption caused by beta blockers to circadian rhythms, and the important hormones that depend on these rhythms was illustrated by an animal study showing that ingesting a beta blocker before bedtime is like leaving the lights on all night. Serotonin levels, which normally drop at night, remain unnaturally high: SAMe doesn't decrease, and melatonin doesn't increase. What occurs when beta blockers are taken before bedtime looks a lot like sleep deprivation.

DEPRESSION

Depression occurs frequently with aging. It also occurs in young people. SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine) is the best-documented natural antidepressant in the world. There have been more than 100 peer-reviewed studies showing that SAMe works. It's faster-acting with fewer side effects than other antidepressants, and SAMe is safe. That's because it isn't a drug concocted in a chemistry lab. It's a natural substance found in virtually every cell of the body.

SAMe is indispensable for health and longevity. It's crucial for the synthesis of neurotransmitters, DNA, RNA and phosphatidylcholine, which keep cell membranes in a youthful state. SAMe is the precursor for the free-radical-fighters glutathione and cysteine. It contributes to the synthesis of polyamines which regulate protein synthesis, and may play a key role in energy production.

People who take beta blockers (at least in the evening) are setting themselves up for insomnia, depression and other mental disturbances due to the extraordinary interdependence of SAMe, serotonin and melatonin. Beta blockers suppress serotonin as well as melatonin. Thus, it is not surprising that the Physicians Desk Reference lists mental depression, fatigue, short term memory loss, insomnia and emotional lability as some of the side effects of Inderal and other beta blockers.

ALZHEIMER'S

A recent study in the Journal of Neurochemistry reported that Alzheimer's disease (AD) patients have severely decreased levels of SAMe in their brains. This is an important discovery because it was previously assumed from studies on blood cells that AD patients had too much SAMe. Proper studies have never been done with SAMe as a treatment for Alzheimer's disease because of this erroneous assumption.

SLEEP DISORDERS

SAMe is melatonin's daytime equivalent. The natural synthesis of melatonin during the night is dependent on the synthesis of SAMe during the day. SAMe is necessary for the biochemical reaction that converts serotonin into melatonin. (Serotonin is the neurotransmitter that drugs like Prozac elevate). SAMe and melatonin are entwined in a circadian rhythm that see-saws back and forth as the sun rises and sets. SAMe is melatonin's other half: when melatonin levels shoot up at night, SAMe stays low. But during the day, when melatonin falls, SAMe levels climb. Without adequate SAMe during the day, neither melatonin nor serotonin can be synthesized. And both are dependent on light and dark.

Two benzodiazepine type drugs have been shown to suppress melatonin and disrupt sleep patterns in humans and rodents. Valium and Xanax both cause decreased production of melatonin at night. In a study from the Niigata College of Pharmacy in Japan, Valium also inhibited N-acetylserotonin and N-acetyltransferase, the enzymes necessary for the synthesis of melatonin in the pineal gland.

WARNING: Life Extension Foundation, who produce this brand of SAMe has recently undertaken an analysis of seven commercial brands of SAMe. Two were found to have NO SAMe present; one had the wrong form of SAMe and two others had less than 100% potency. So buyer beware!

2. victoria

victoria New Member

I didn't know or at least didn't remember, if I ever knew, about the melatonin & SamE.

I did use it very successfully for inflammation from a bone spur in my ankle that was crippling me - got me walking again, along with using bromelain in between meals as an anti-inflammatory.

I also found it gives an energy boost - no surprise after reading about it being the opposite of melatonin! I stopped using it a while ago as I wasn't sure I was getting any effect anymore (you know how the energy part always seems to wane after using certain things like ginseng?). Hmmmm, may try it again... and will certainly give some to my son, (he's still dealing with chronic Lyme) as he stillhas problems with insomnia.

all the best,
    Victoria

3. millennia

millennia New Member

My doctor told me to take my beta blockers in the morning. He said I could take them at night since my symptoms worsen at night and it prevents me from sleeping. I can't imagine that sleeping while using beta blockers could be worse than the not sleeping from the pounding heart rate.

I wonder if you could take the beta blockers with a melatonin supplement at night with the beta blockers? Thanks for the info.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Because this is so important, at least to those who take beta-blockers, (like me).