Link between Methylation and Autonomic dysfunction

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Wolverine, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

I came accross this article the other day..

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2008/0045448.html

"REVERSING AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM DYSFUNCTION BY POTENTIATING METHYLATION"

It basically explains that Autonomic dysfunction can be helped or even reversed by forcing the continuous process of methylation.

Here is the abstract - the article is long, so skim through if you like.

-----------------------------------------------
    ABSTRACT:
    The present invention is a method and composition for reversing dysfunction of the human autonomic nervous system. The invention consists of administering a methylation-promoting composition that promotes uninterrupted recycling of homocysteine to methionine and uninterrupted processing and removal of metabolic products of stress.

Here is the end conclusion / treatment suggestion:
    Preffered method of administration is transbuccal wherein methylation-promoting composition consists of a solution comprising 5 mg of folic acid applied to a 2 mg tablet of hydroxocobalamin administered simultaneously on arising, midday and at bedtime. Folirinseā„¢ (10% Folate Solution, 5 mg/drop) by Scientific Botanicals, Inc. and Activated B-12 Guardā„¢ (2000 mcg Sublingual Lozenges) by Perque LLC are used successfully as the preferred choices.

I just thought as both of these issues are of great interest to us with CFS lately, that this article could be interesting and relevant. Interested to see what Rich thinks too.
  2. frango2

frango2 New Member

I feel that Methylation is helping me quite a bit.
  3. cct

cct New Member

After more than a year on the simplified approach to the GD-MCB (per RichVanK), I believe that my ANS is functioning better. My ANS is better, but not completely healed.
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Wolverine

ANS improvements here too.

tc, Tansy
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for posting - I am sure Rich will be interested in this. I haven't read the article but a quick glance would seem to validate the methylation cycle protocol he has freely given to us.

But I find it interesting that these people are applying for a patent (at least I think that's what they're doing) for administering supplements .... we are so fortunate to have Rich --

Mary
  6. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Indeed, thats great to hear it's making improvements for you guys. Im on the folate and b12 still, now Sam-e aswell as for some reason i can finally tolerate it. It does help alot.
  7. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

Thanks for this info. I believe that at this point in my struggle w/CFS, that nervous system dysfunction is probably my #1 problem & the most difficult one to overcome.

I've tried the Perque B-12 in the past & did not see a noticeable difference. This combo of folate w/the B-12 may turn out to be very helpful,,,will let you know how this goes.

JT
  8. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Yeah, i don't really notice a difference from the B12 alone, even the folate with b12. Apparently using these two it takes a good few months to feel an effect i think. The most potent effect i get is if i add Sam-E to those two. Take the folate/b12, then half hour later take a dose of sam-e. Some people don't tolerate sam-e well, in that case just lower the dose, cut it to a small peice of the tablet and work up if no bad effect.

It really helps so many things, and it's main function is methylation! I feel so many differences in my body on sam-e, and a big (bad) difference if i stop. Sometimes, like yesterday, it gave me a migraine. I know ive had too much if that happens. Then just have to stop for one day, then reintroduce at much lower doses (small piece of a tablet, you can bite it off or cut up with scissors).

I suggest anyone doing methylation try adding sam-e - at whatever dose you can tolerate. Most people dont need over 100mg. But for some 200, even 400 if tolerated can really help things. It even says on the box of most sam-e supps that it directly helps fibromyalgia.
  9. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

I wasn't aware of this patent application, but I see that it is dated
    2006, which was before I suggested the simplified treatment approach
    (with Trina's help and based on Amy Yasko's full treatment program).
    So I guess it's a matter of "great minds" coming up with similar
    ideas. I'm not sure who came up with this combination first, but it
    wasn't I! I know that people in the DAN!(Defeat Autism Now!) project
    were using the combination of folinic acid and methylcobalamin some
    years before I knew about it. Jill James et al. published on it in
    late 2004. Dr. Vinitsky, whose name is on the patent application,
    is a pediatrician in Potomac, MD, and based on what he has written, I
    would say that he has a pretty good understanding of the methylation
    issue and how to treat it. The patent application applies to
    treating autonomic nervous system dysfunction, which is one facet of
    CFS, rather than treating CFS in general. Amy Yasko has found that
    methylation cycle problems are found in quite a few disorders.

If you want to see something else that's interesting in this regard,
    check out www dot pamlab dot com. It's a pharmaceutical company in Louisiana
    called PamLab, and they are producing "medical foods" for various
    other conditions. Some of the formulas also look a lot like
    the "simplified treatment approach." I understand that they have a
    license from Merck Germany to develop and market medical foods that
    contain 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. Merck Germany has a patent on the
    synthetic production of this natural substance, which is where
    FolaPro comes from (also the Metafolin marketed by Source Naturals).

I just hope that 5-methyltetrahydrofolate continues to be available
    over the counter at reasonable prices, for the sake of the CFS and
    autism communities. Last weekend I went to the ILADS Lyme conference and encouraged the LLMDs there to consider testing for glutathione depletion and methylation block in the chronic Lyme cases, too, and treating them if found. I think chronic Lyme intrinsically involves CFS, and if so, a methylation cycle block. Vitamin Diagnostics is now having to hire and train more analysts to keep up with the demand for the methylation panel.

Rich
  10. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Hi Wolverine,
    Thanks for info..You seem to be making good progress from what I remember from last year..
    I have a question. Are you purchasing the B12 and Folate in Australia??Last time I asked Metagenics they said they were not available.
    I usually get improved mood and improved mental and physical energy from a hydroxycobalamin injection plus a Blackmores Folate but it only lasts a day or so amd the let down is a bit destabilising.
  11. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Hi Wolverine,
    Thanks for info..You seem to be making good progress from what I remember from last year..
    I have a question. Are you purchasing the B12 and Folate in Australia??Last time I asked Metagenics they said they were not available.
    I usually get improved mood and improved mental and physical energy from a hydroxycobalamin injection plus a Blackmores Folate but it only lasts a day or so amd the let down is a bit destabilising.
    ALso last time I tried Same it caused a huge not so good reaction so appreciate hearing about your strategy..Whose brand do you use of this one? Thanks
  12. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Hi Slowdreamer.

I'm actually going through the roughest patch I have since i first got sick in 2000! So not making too much progress right now. See my other posts - been diagnosed with Adrenal Insufficiency, and having a really hard time with it, and with taking hydrocortisone.

As for supps, I rarely ever buy them from Aus anymore, because i've found some online stores in the US that deliver to us really cheap, and the same quality supps with better range, are SO much cheaper! We will pay like.. $30 for something here that may be about $10 or less. I use iherb.com all the time now, its fantastic, and delivers here cheaply in less than a week. Can find most things needed.

As for the methylation supps.. I ordered the proper suggested ones - Metagenics Intrinsi B12/Folate & Folapro from the US, can't remember which store, just did some searching. I coudln't tolerate the folapro for some reason for long. Some can't I've heard.

I'm sure there's other posts on methylation here and people have suggested other brands that may be cheaper, search those posts too. I think taking any decent B12/Folate will work to some degree, better than none of course! Try Sam-E - If you can tolerate it, it's excellent and provides noticable benefits.

~Chris.

13. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Thanks so much Chris, that's a great help..Hope the Ozzie Dollar plunge doesn't change things too much.
    I will look at your recent posts when I find them as I have just come here from Immune Support.

Sorry you are still having such a battle with this DD. Sounds like they are getting on with some good research lately and I reckon YOU will be still young enough to benefit..
    Regards to you