Link between tooth damage and FM/CFIDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Sep 6, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

This is interesting. I read all the replys on Sandy's post about dentures and there seems to be an overwhelming number of us that got dentures at a fairly young age.
    I, like alot of you, had beautiful healthy teeth before I started having all these problems. Even when I had my teeth pulled they were pretty, just very brittle.
    Seems to me that we are all gonna have to do the research for ourselves, because the doctors and scientists sure as h*ll are not!
    I have tried to find several things that we all seem to have in common and came up empty. Anyone with any ideas on who we could contact and suggest some research?

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

This is interesting. I read all the replys on Sandy's post about dentures and there seems to be an overwhelming number of us that got dentures at a fairly young age.
    I, like alot of you, had beautiful healthy teeth before I started having all these problems. Even when I had my teeth pulled they were pretty, just very brittle.
    Seems to me that we are all gonna have to do the research for ourselves, because the doctors and scientists sure as h*ll are not!
    I have tried to find several things that we all seem to have in common and came up empty. Anyone with any ideas on who we could contact and suggest some research?

Soft hugs!
  3. toniad

toniad New Member

Well, add me in there too. I've had thousands of dollars in dental work done, and my teeth look as if I never brush them, all nearly are filled, and I've had 3 pulled, and 2 more I think are on their way out!!! I'm 29, my "normal" friends have nice, white teeth, and don't have any where near the problems I do with my teeth.

Local Universities, especially ones with a Rheumatolgy Department should be a good place to start. But to get research, we have to "volunteer". They can't really do fibro research on people who don't have fibro. I want to be involved in the research. I am willing to volunteer for questionairres or self-reports. I'm going to talk to my doctor about it next week when I go.

I hear a LOT of fibromites say that we will probably be the one's who find the cause/cure, because we know more about the disease than the medical community seems to.

Good luck and stay well Teresa!
    Tonia, tonia_1972@yahoo.com
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Teresa, as I was one of the ones w/ full dentures at a young age, I was amazed at the number. It was so frustrating...some dentists treated me to these horrific lectures on mouth care...and I brushed 3-4 x daily, & flossed & used a rinse! It was infuriating to me that my ex who would brush his teeth every other day (yes, gross!) and never had a problem w/ his teeth, while thousands of dollars were spent on mine.

I feel validated!! I'm going to mention this to my rheumy too. That's one of the reasons he did the lip biopsy for Sjogren's, which came back negative.

Welcome Tonia, sounds like you have a great attitude. Get ready to learn lots from this site & you have a great support group here too if you need it.

Take care both of you. Michele
  5. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I was humiliated by my dentist also! It does not seem fair does it? I am glad to almost have mine done and then I will never have to face that kind of treatment anymore.
    Both of you take care! Please do mention this to your rheumy.

Soft furry hugs!
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I wonder, do you all have CFIDS? I ask, because I am dx'd with FMS and I have great teeth. My dentist says I have the hardest teeth he's ever seen and that I only need a "buff and fluff" cleaning once every year or so. I do brush 3-4 times daily, floss once and use a water pik once or twice, so I am careful to keep my teeth the way they are. I always thought it was genetic, since nobody in my family has ever had dentures or even a partial. I wonder if the connection would be with CFIDS only, or am I the exception that proves the rule?
    Klutzo
  7. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Well, I don't have dentures, but I have an entire mouth of root canals and crowns (minus some teeth that have been pulled). Nothing to be proud of ! I can't understand it , on some teeth I begged the endodontist to do root canal because of the sensitivities. The teeth looked good on x-ray, but when they go inside the root the tooth was dying. My teeth did not show decay, just root problems. I definately have been dx with FM, but waiting on some tests for CFIDS (which I think I have). I have had neutropenia (low white cells) for at least 25 years. My teeth have been at their worse the last two years since I hit menopause (any coorelation here???) I have MPS and my teeth and face hurt from time to time. It's the pits!!!!
    Tania
  8. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

years here-rediculous-not due to not caring for my teeth. Teh explanation that I have been given is that a lot of the meds we tke dry out your saliva. I have dry mouth and dry eyes-no sjogrens according to blood work but my rheumy still wonders-25% of people with sjogren's will not test posiotve especailly before the age of 50 according to the research I have done. my eye doc thinks I have it too have done the rice paper test or what ever it is to test the amount of tears I produce and not nearly enough.

Dentist said that when you do not produce saliva, you are more prone to cavities because the saliva ensymes actually help wash away bacteria from in between your teeth.

This is a new thing I am dealing with for the past 4 years and i wondered if there is a connection or just the connection that a lot of us take the same meds that cause dry mouth?

Cathy
  9. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

My dentist asked me before I was even dx with this if I had sugar cause my teeth were so soft and I have had many problems with them.
  10. rge

rge New Member

could be the answer

Do a google search
    hundreds of sites with pictures
    makes teeth brittle and hard to fix

then look at the symptoms of chronic fluoride toxicity
    just type "fluoride" in the search archives and you can find all my posts on fluoride

I have proof that one cause of CFS/FM if fluoride, look at "test results from Dr. Preston