Lipitor or Crestor... which one should I take??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gramaT, Mar 1, 2006.

1. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Hi all,
    I guess I have to take one since my cholesterol is 340 and its risky at 57 and post menopausal to let it go. My mom is 85 with alzeheimers and hers was the same. Mabe that's why she has alzehermers??

Thanks for your input. I'm worried about the muscle damage they say you can have.

Carolyn in Ill
  2. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

Be careful!
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have been taking Lipitor 80 mg. since it came out in 1997. My cholesterol was 378. It is now 270, and not going down much.

Lipitor has been out longer than Crestor has and I have heard that Crestor can cause kidney damage so get your doc to check your kidney function every 3 months. My son is on Crestor 10 mg. a day. I didn't like it but the doc won't change it.

My husband is on Lipitor 10 mg. a day.

I use 1800 mg. of cinnamon a day as it has helped to lower it 30 points.

4. gramaT

gramaT New Member

I will try your suggestions. I really do need to get it down no matter what! I love oatmeal so I'll eat it alot.
    Did you see the other reply about the statin site that says not to take them? I guess I need to ignore them because its time to do something.

Thanks again
  5. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Btw, my sis's name is Faye. She is 59 this year and a real go getter.
    Thanks for your reply. I WILL try Lipitor. They gave me both. I will also go to the health food store and get the cinnamon and niacin supp. It won't hurt to go at it both ways, right?

I sure appreciate all you help

6. gramaT

gramaT New Member

I will goto the site and check it out.
    I have been afraid of taking them up to now but need to do something!!
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My Dad was on Crestor and it caused his platelets to seriously drop. I've heard it's really hard on you. I was on it for a year or so but I'm on one for triglycerides now.

My husband is on Lipitor and has had no problems for several years and his cholesterol is normal.

8. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Thanks for the tips on eating oats and apples and flax etc
    I will start doing just that. However, I am 57 and as long as I can remember my chol. has been extremely high as was my mom's. I checked a book out on the heart "the heart of the matter" by Salgo and he says diet and exercise are resp. for 20 % of chol.levels and your liver controls the other 80%. I think i read that is true if you have a genetic predisposition. anyway, I really HAVE to get it down but will try the natural route for a while longer. I lied and told the DR I was taking the meds. They all but want to Choke me they're so mad. Hey, its my body!

In the meantime I'm trying to get my yeast under control. I am still on Threelac until it runs out but still have the darn stuff. Its so stubborn. When I get up in the morning, my r hip hurts so bad I want to cry. I remember you saying you had trouble with yours way back. Mabe I just need to keep getting healthier. I do your shake about four times a wk. I have a retired hubby who insists on making breakfst all the time. Janet on the board said her candida stops responding to the same antifungal after a while. I bought Candid Cleanse, when and how should I take that? after the threelac is gone?

I'm sorry I went so long, Stormy. I hope you dont get tired of me. I will pray God's Blessings on you and your's.

MAny Thanks,
  9. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm so leary of all of the drugs. I'm on so many.
  10. TJC

TJC New Member

I would definitely stay away from the Crestor - too many bad side effects. It has a cousin-compound that was pulled from the market because of all of the problems with muscular and kidney damage.

As far as some natural cholesterol aunt had very high cholesterol as well (can't remember the exact numbers right now). She did the oatmeal thing, but she also added a lot of soy to her diet.... instead of chips she snacked on soy nuts and soy chips, bought soy flour to substitute whenever she could, soy burgers, etc. Anything she could substitute, she did. It dropped her cholesterol a total of 70 points in 3 months and also slowly dropped it some more over time. I can tell you that I have had the soy nuts and some of them are quite good. It may be worth a try.
  11. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Statins might not be great, but your risk of dying from a heart-attack or stroke is a heck of a lot higher with a cholesterol in the 300's then the risks of taking a statin-drug.

You have to still be alive to experience a complication!

You should do as much as you can with the modification of your diet and exercise as you can but many people have genetically linked high cholesterol - especially if you are of Asian descent.

Lipitor has been on the market longer (1996 vs. 2003) with a longer history for the safety studies/data than Crestor.. But here are the web addresses to both websites -
    go to the physician prescribing or full-prescribing information - the patient pamphlet is very dumbed down. Both inserts have tables that present the potential side effects found to have an occurence greater than the non-drug counterpart when given in a study.

Even if you don't understand all the science-speak, you can still get more info than the stuff they give you at the pharmacy or in the "patients" section.
    But here are the web addresses to both websites -
    look for the physician prescribing or full-prescribing information or PI - the patient pamphlet is very dumbed down. Both inserts have tables that present the potential side effects found to have an occurence greater than the non-drug counterpart when given in a study.
  12. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Crestor is dangerous. My mother nearly became an invalid. She could barely walk, her feet hurt terribly and she seemed to age 25 years right before our eyes. She talked to someone who told her Crestor had made them bedridden for over a year until they found out what was causing her problems. My mom quit the Crestor and the problems slowly went away. Be very, very careful. Natural is always better. Eat oatmeal and Cheerios. Please be careful.

13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

we may be making a mistake to go for such low cholesterol, but who knows.
    Mine was above 300 for years, even after a try at a NO fat diet. This last test I had it was all of sudden LOW and I've done nothing lately to
    lower it??

After one test I got really frightened and called the Arizona Heart Institute..supposed to be leaders in the field of heart issues in the country. The nurse I talked to said my "good" cholesterol is SO high that it still left my risk very low.
    Go figure.
  14. lenaw70

lenaw70 New Member

I have full blown fibro and have muscle pain ALL OF THE TIME.

There would be NO way for me to detect "muscle pain and weakness" as they say to do. I looked up those meds and that nasty little side affect they say to watch for IS FATAL!!!

HOWEVER...your CL is 340 and that is pretty high. Thats a tuff one for you.

Is there a connection to high cholesterol and Alzeheimers?

Take care,
  15. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Thank you for all your replies. I think I've read that there is a connection with Alzheimers and cholesterol. that's scarey in itself! I know there's ways to get your good chol. up and bad down with natural supp. so mabe that's the best bet. All I was thinking was the number..
    Gives me more to consider.

Thanks again
  16. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Hi, Carolyn:

NEITHER ONE!! There is a no-adverse-effects-at-all chol-lowerer called Chromium Picolinate. It removes bad cholesterol & bad fats from the body. Available at nearly every pharmacy in the world, not too expensive, doesn't take forever to start working.
    You might want to try it, give it a while to kick in, then have your dr re-check your chol levels.
    I take LOTS per day (3 200 mcg tabs two or three times daily) and my once-high cholesterol levels are doing lots better.
    Great question, by the way.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2009]
  17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

reading Johns Hopkins News Letter and they maybe thinking of pulling Crestor from the market. Just a heads up.

Love Anne C
  18. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I never could take the niacin, but the doc wanted me to take a huge dose the first time and I turned red like a beet and was miserable for a few hours.

The cinnamon is an anti-fungal and helps other problems like blood sugar and cholesterol. Right now I'm on 1800 mg. as I can't get a regular amount from food, so I take the capsules.

When one has a cholesterol of 378, like I did, you don't fool around with dietary supplements to try to get it down. I only wish I could. I have been on all the statins except Crestor. I am now down to 270, but there is no supplement that would get it down further and it isn't something one wants to play around with.

My docs wanted me on it and I agreed to try Lipitor and I don't have any side effects. The 80mg. dose is the largest dose ever tested on humans. My endocrinologist said it is my body that is making all of this high cholesterol and nothing I do in my diet is going to help with getting it down.

Personally, I think if I could lose a lot of weight, my cholesterol would go down too.

Stormyskye, hon, I can't do this without meds. I respect your opinion and I hope you will respect mine. I do eat a lot of veggies and a huge salad and I don't eat junk food anymore.

19. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Your little beauty chromium picolinate put me into the hospital for 3 days back in 1994. It took months for me to get over the pain it caused in my stomach and I was only taking the 200 mcg of it.

I take what is in the Centrum Silver vitamin now and that's all. Most dietary supplements tear my stomach up.

20. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

aGAIN FROM the J Hopkins news letter:

If you take the time release and take a baby asprin half an hour before it is meant not to make you go red. It will reduce the LDL but I understand will not raise the HDL. Google the news letter and they have print out of all these cholestrol lowering drugs.