Liquifying Dry Dog Food

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by findmind, Nov 3, 2007.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

Does anyone know if a food processor would puree dry dog food, with very very little water added, as the food is soaked overnite in containers with water, to make it softer.

The blender will only handle 1/4 cup at a time, and it gets all stuck in the bottom and is so hard to get out of the blender.

I'm not familiar with food processors; can they mush up soaked, puffy dry dog food?

Thanks for the help!
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

I was glad to read your shepherd is doing better. Food processors would do the trick but they are pricey.

Have you thought of using a big bowl of even a bucket and use a mixer? I am sure you guys have a electric drill or a cordless. If you do, go to Lowes or HD and look in the paint dept for a paint mixing tool. You put it in your drill and make a bucket and put it in the fridge or freezer in the gladware so you don't have to do this everytime you feed her. Just nuke it to warm it up to room temp and your done.

I am sorry you are having to go threw this, it hasn't been the best year for you with the move and losing your other shepherd. Hugs and prayers to you-Carla

3. mezombie

mezombie Member

I had to do that with cat food for a while. I have one of those simple food chopper/grinders, so I used that first to grind the dry food. Then I took it out, put it in a bowl, added water and mixed. Worked like a dream! I wonder whether you could use your blender the same way? Without adding water, I'd think the food wouldn't get stuck in the bottom.

I hope this helps.

Hang in there, girlfriend!

P.S. Just saw your other post. So glad your doggie is keeping her food down!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2007]
  4. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Can you try spraying the blender bowl with a vegetable oil or whatever is safe for dogs? That might reduce the sticking.

5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I wouldn't put it in the food processor wet, I'd try adding it dry. THEN I'd moisten it afterwards.

If the food processor isn't working, what about putting it in a freezer bag and rolling your car tire over it???

You could also try just stepping on it in the freezer bag. I guess alot would depend on the size and density of the particular dry dog food that you are using.

I crush graham crackers, etc. by putting them in a zip lock freezer bag and rolling over them with my back mobility scooter tires. The thickness of the freezer bags keeps the bag from ripping. Anyway, this is how I do it.
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Are you using a hard kibble? Have you tried something baked like Flint River?

I agree, I would put it through the blender dry. You'd get a powder you could mix with water. You should be able to blend a cup or more at a time with it dry. I have ground flax seed, coffee and chili peppers in mine (not all at once!!).

7. findmind

findmind New Member

What a lot of good ideas! Now, joyfully, you made me laugh about running over it with the car or scooter, LOL.

I think maybe we could try the potato masher on it, to get it all mashed up before we add a little water. It can't be too watery, it comes back up within a few hours.

I thank you all for your great suggestions; if all else fails, I will run over the kibble with the car, it sounds like so much fun!

There's always hope!