Lisapetrisonhow do you keep yeast under control?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockymtnmom, Nov 6, 2006.

1. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

Dear Lisa,
    Was reading back some posts and then your bio (I have a M.A. in counseling psych from Northwestern!).

I noticed you said that keeping yeast under control in your intestines and sinuses was important to your health.

I have problems in those two areas. How do you keep the yeast under control? I would really appreciate your wisdom in this area of health!

Thanks - wishing you a peaceful day.

Kim
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Sinus: Thus far long-term Diflucan (once for six months) has worked. Colloidal Silver nasal spray is somewhat helpful. These come along every few years....usually when the rest of my body is full of yeast. That's a particular reason to keep systemic yeast under control.....those sinus infections can be catastrophic.

Intestinal: 10 billion units probiotics per day. (This equals 10 standard capsules.) Absolutely no sugar ever, try to limit white flour severely. Varied herbs (oregano oil, pau d'arco, goldenseal). Nystatin and/or ampotericin b if there's a flair-up. I try not to be on Diflucan more than I have to (since I'm afraid of creating Diflucan-resistant yeast....my liver tests have always been fine), but if I'm using it anyway for stubborn sinus or vaginal infections, it can help. I've just discovered colonic hydrotherapy, which has been very helpful in getting rid of die-off symptoms (herxing) when they've been bad.

Keeping intestinal yeast under control makes (I am pretty sure) less likely to move to the vagina. Most types of vaginal yeast infections are pretty easy to get rid of, but some are really a bear.....

What year did you graduate from Northwestern? I was in some psych classes with clinical students for a year or so. That would have been, hmm, 1992-1994. Were you around at the same time, by chance?
  3. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

I will get going on those.

I was in the Counseling psych program from '93 to '95! So it is very possible we had coursework together!

Any classes with the famous Sunny Cytrynbaum?

This is a small world and I am reminded of it all the time.

One of my good friends was in the CPSY PhD program. Her name was Kirsten Chadwick. Maybe PhD students hun together more>

Let me know wha courses and when if you remember!

Kim (nee Voreis)
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My adviser had just moved to Kellogg after spending his career as a professor of Social Psych at the University of California/Santa Barbara, and my interest was in that area. I didn't take any clinical classes, but I recall some clinical psych students (I don't know if they were master's or Ph.D. students) in the classes I took in the psych department. There were a couple related to social psych and cognitive psych, and one on "categorization"". (Can you imagine a professor spending his whole life doing research on how people categorize things? Ick.) I don't recall the prof you mentioned, though. I actually don't remember the names of _any_ of those psych profs right off the bat though. That seems like another world, in another lifetime, doesn't it?
  5. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

Dear Lisa -
    I had every intention of getting my PhD. Now it seems so unimportant compared to just getting better. Someday maybe-
    It does seem worlds and lifetimes away.

Given all the money I spent on my degree I wonder if I'll ever get to use it again! Are you working in your field? I am too disabled to work, plus now have 4 kids (triplets plus one - never thought I'd have this many!!)

Anyway, Northwestern holds good memories for me. Plus, my husband proposed to me near the lake on campus. We will always have that memory!

Here's to better health and making new memories!!

Kim
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The Ph.D. is useful in that it does give me the credibility to do some work without committing to a full-time job. My husband (who also is in this field) and I are going to see a company with regard to consulting tomorrow,, for instance. I occasionally do some teaching too. And if I wrote a book I could get it published, although getting it written is another matter entirely.

Of course, a marketing Ph.D. (esp. from NU) does have some prestige in the business world. I wasn't thinking about it in terms of flexibility (I intended to be a tenure track professor), but at least that turned out well. Or that is to say, if I have to be sick, as well as I probably could have planned it.
  7. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

I'd say a marketing PhD from NU carries a LOT of weight!! My undergrad was in business/marketing...before I got interested in psych and started remaking my degree by taking night courses at NU in order to qualify to apply to the couseling psych program.

My plan was always to get the PhD and teach and write, maybe do some clinical work as I felt like it. My uncle in Chicago lives that life at U of C and I always wanted to follow in his footsteps. Life sometimes take strange twists and turns.

I envy your flexibility - You can teach, consult, or write a book, as you say. Writing is something I find hard to discipline myself to do anymore since I have such limited energy. I usually give it all to the kids. I do enjoy it, and have fantasies of making my living that way some day.

I'm feeling more positive about gaining a little control over things since I found this site, have been taking supplements that are helping and am taking advantage of some healing activities (yoga, accupuncture, chiro, massage). We will be moving to Denver in the Spring, which will take away one of my major triggers: humidity; and bring me sunshine and beauty.

Good luck with your consulting meeting. I hope it goes well. How wonderful to partner with your husband in this way!

Kim