LIST OF SONG GAMES WE'VE PLAYED

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by ConfusedInPA, Jul 23, 2014.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

HI everybody!

I'm putting this at the top of this post, 'cause I don't want it to get "lost." GB found a website that has a list of categories of songs.

www.songfacts.com

I went through the posts, in this Homebound/Bedbound Board.

And these are the SONG GAMES that I found -- that we've already played (or are currently playing). :)

Let Me Be Perfectly Honest: A Song Game -- any song title or lyric that has Honest or any form of the word; Truth or Untruths; Good or Bad; Right or Wrong; Vanity, Apologies, Promises.

Songs with 4-word titles: We did a lot of one, two, and three-word titles, so lets move on to four-words.

One word song titles

Famous people: a song game: Songs with any famous person in the title or lyrics.

Two and three word song titles: We have already posted a lot of two word titles on the one word thread but I think maybe we're ready to find a few three word title songs!

SOMETHING OLD SOMETHING NEW: Songs that have 'old' or 'new', 'borrowed' or 'blue' in the title or lyrics.

Foreign Song Game:
    Songs in this category have at least a word in the title or lyrics from a
    foreign language

SOME LIKE IT HOT: Here is a game for song titles or lyrics that have words like Hot, Warm, Burning, Blaze, Fire, Cold, Cool, Freeze, Chill or any form of the words.

Song Game 1, 2, 3 -- Volumes 1 and 2

Good Heavens! A Song Game:
    Any song with something that is found in the sky or universe, also any weather related song. We did a similar thread a long time ago, but maybe we'd enjoy a repeat.

Songs That Ask A Question

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream: Songs of sleep and/or dreams.

Breaking News: splitting as in breaking. Up. Or maybe splitting as in leaving.
    A place. Or maybe just the past in general.

Night and Day: How about songs that have night, nighttime, moonlight, day, daylight, daytime, dawn, dusk, sunshine, sun, sunrise, or sunset in the title or lyrics.

Songs of Nostalgia: Nothing like music to remind us of the past. To spur recollections of
    happier, healthier times: home, school, old friends. What songs
    make you nostalgic?

FAMILY AND FRIENDS: This is a game for songs that have family members; mom, dad, aunt, uncle, cousins, son, daughter, babies, or the words friend/ friendship/pal/buddy, neighbor, in the title or lyrics.

Happy Valentine's Day Song Game .... some nice Valentiney songs. Anything with Hearts, Flowers, Candy.....

ONE HIT WONDERS

"Anything Grows" -- songs with trees, plants, or flowers in the title or lyrics

Wanting You Song Game -- songs that indicate a longing, a yearning, a desire

Songs About Duds .... "Duds" is a slang term with several meanings. One of which is clothing. So let's think of some songs about same.

Boys and Girls ... songs about "BOYS" AND "GIRLS"

SONGS WITH FLOWERS IN THE TITLE/LYRICS ... thinking about spring

WHAT'S ON THE MENU: songs about FOOD

"BOYS" AND "GIRLS"

NEW YEAR SONG GAME: songs that have the words New, Year, Beginning, Start(ing), or First in the title or lyrics

FIRST, LAST and ALWAYS:
    Any song with First, Last or Always in the title or lyrics

ACTORS who are singers/ SINGERS who are actors

IT'S AUTUMN

OPPOSITES ATTRACT

IT'S A LIVING: Let's look for songs about jobs, working, toil, making a living, etc. in the title or lyrics! Have fun looking, and don't work too hard. :)

SUMMER TIME: Summer, beaches, vacations, etc.

WHAT A LINE!: This is a game where we post a line from a song that we all might be familiar with and try to identify the song.

WE AIN'T GOT A BARREL OF MONEY: ...it all costs MONEY. :) Here's a song game about it. Any song with these words in the title or lyrics: Money, Dough, Dollar, Cents, Quarter, Dime, Nickle, Penny, Gold, Silver, Riches, or Poverty.

BOO HOO --- Songs that are about crying, tears, sadness, the blues, heartache, heartbreak (sniff, sniff). Any song with one of these topics in the title or lyrics.

Don't Toy With Me: songs that mention toys or anything that might be fun and games, a pastime, or playful in the title or lyrics.

Loneliness/Friendships: songs with lonely, lonesome in the title or lyrics and then find songs about friendship, happiness in the title or lyrics.

Let's Get Away from It All: Vacations, Trips, vacation related activities, such as swimming, boating, etc.

Songs Song Game:
    Any song with the word Song, Melody, Tune, Singing, Humming, Whistling. Also, Air, Ditty, Serenade, Symphony, Lullaby, Strain, Refrain, in the title or lyrics.

A Negative Song Game: Songs with a negative in the title or lyrics: Can't, Won't, No, Never, etc.

Silly Songs and Novelty Songs

Keep It Movin': Motion, Movement, Travel

Home Sweet Home: Home, House, or any type of Building, as well as any part of a home's structure

Five W's and an H: A 'Questionable' Song Game (The five questions with W, are Who, What, Why, When and Where and the H is How.)

TV Theme Songs or Intros... (including product slogans)

Big and Small

My Heart Cries for You

What's In A Name

The Five Senses

Song Game: HOME

What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

The Mother Of All Song Games

That's What Friends Are For

Hopes, Wishes & Dreams

Christmas videos

Lost and Found

"I've Got a Song Stuck in my Head" -- songs and discussions...

Stop, Look and Listen

Bluebird of Happiness: happiness, gladness, any positive messages, in the title or lyrics? Smiling, Smiles, Thankful, etc. And then there's the flip side. Sadness, Unhappy, Down and Out songs.

The Days of Our Lives -- day, week, month, seasons, time

Halloween Song Game

All Or Nothing At All -- includes All, Nothing, Anything, Everything, Some, None, Something, Empty, Full, More, Less, With, Without, Ever, Never. When, Whenever, What, Whatever.

Anagram Song Game (song titles, in anagram form)

Let's Get Personal (Pronouns)

Terms of Endearment (Baby, Sugar, Honey, etc.)

Shall We Dance?

What's In a Name!

Short, Fat, Tall, Skinny

Up, Down and All Around

We're Only Human

Number, Please

Musical Instruments

It's About Time

I Haven't a Thing to Wear

Animal Song Game -- Vol. 1 and Vol. 2

"Love" In the Title

What On Earth

Traveling

Geographical Songs

Colorful Songs

Celestial Songs, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2

Songs with Food in the Title, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2

And then we have the GENERIC "SONG LYRICS" Game 1, 2, etc., which went on to many many volumes!

I hope this helps -- with y'all coming up with themes for MORE GAMES!!!

Just thought I'd post this, for y'all to ponder. I might have missed a game, so please add it to this thread, and I'll enter it on this post.

Enjoying playing the games with y'all! And I'm pondering what to post on the NEW game!!!! :)

Love, Diane
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    rockgor likes this.
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Diane, Thanks so much! That's really a big help. I'm always forgetting what we've already done so I have to go back before I post another game.

Maybe some others will suggest some ideas for more song games, or any other type of game we can all play together.

I have been playing an anagram (scrambled words) game online and I enjoy doing that, but can't come up with a way to play on here.

For instance, the word "photos" could be posted as "postoh" and we'd have to unscramble it and then we would post a new word. Always leaving the first letter the same would make it easier. In this case, the letter 'p'.

Any ideas how to do this so all could play? GB
  3. ConfusedInPA

Hi GB!

You're welcome!

If I skipped any SONG games, going through the board posts, please...all...let me know and I'll add it to my list, above.

ANAGRAMS sounds like a good game. We used to play a game like that on ChitChat, several years ago. Not like your game though. Sort of like word "mix-ups". I think Rock might remember what I'm talking about.

Someone would post -- usually a phrase -- like CHRISTMAS DAY, or INDEPENDENCE DAY, or HAPPY BIRTHDAY, etc.

The original poster would then keep a running list of acceptable answers that were posted.

FOR EXAMPLE, if I posted "FOURTH OF JULY".

Some answers might be --

Fourth
    Of
    July
    Four
    For
    Joy
    Your
    Fort
    Etc etc etc.

Some might want to exclude 2-letter words. I (the original poster) would have to add the acceptable answers to the List of Words Posted.

This is the only game that comes to mind. Would it work? I'm not sure! Something to think about.

Y'all take care.

Diane :)

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Diane, I don't remember a game like you described. Maybe because of my addled brain.
    Kawinkadinkaly, I just started a book set in Minnesota. One of the characters also has
    Alzheimers. Anyhoo, lots of Norwegian names and lots of places mentioned that I've been to.

Like Excelsior Amusement Park which opened in the 20s and closed about 40 years ago.
    Kids who got good grades could win free rides. The place was located near Lake Minnetonka
    as was Tonka Toys,the source of all those toy trucks and bulldozers.

GB, I was thinking about a new game last night. Maybe song titles with numbers in
    them?

Tea For Two
    76 Trombones
    3 O'clock in the Morning

Temp was 87 degrees here in LA today. Gordon and I spending the afternoon reading to the
    hum of the air conditioner.

Hugs
    Rock
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Diane, That might work out. It sounds doable for our board. I don't know if folks are getting tired of song games or not. I still like to do them though.

Rock, I think that's a really good song game idea. Lets do it next. Thanks guys. GB
  6. windblade

windblade Active Member

Diane - it's wonderful to have the list of song game titles! I'm going to print it out, and keep it around.

I had just asked my dh to help me think of more themes, but then couldn't remember what we had done. Now, I'll be able to check on one simple list.

Also, I like that word game that you mentioned. I used to play it to pass the time in Dr.'s offices. Finding smaller words in a large word. Fun and relaxing.

Does anyone remember 'Mad Libs'? That was a hilarious word game from my childhood into teenage years.

ROCK, I'm reading a book about Norway by Sigrid Undset, the Pulitzer Prize Norwegian writer. This book is very light, perhaps written for young adults. It's about holidays, and customs in her family. She wanted to capture the traditional way of life in Norway right before World War 2. The title is 'Happy Times in Norway', by Sigrid Undset

I was missing my Scandinavian Grandma. Her mother came here from Norway as an adult, and her father from Sweden. They went back to live in Norway in their last years.
  7. ConfusedInPA

Hi everybody!

We got our list of songs pinned to the top of the board! :)

Now remember -- if y'all have any thoughts for other song games, or other games in general, please post here.

Thanks everybody!

Hope y'all enjoy the games as much as I do!

8. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi all! Here's an idea to toss around.......How about songs with tall, short, fat, or skinny in the titles or lyrics?

Couple of examples:

Lots of funny ones out there!

Just food for thought.

Hugz to all!
    Dar
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Dar, That's a good idea. I remember that "Too Fat Polka". We sang it as kids.

"Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard , in the '50s.

"Short People" by Randy Newman, 1978
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. rockgor

Hi Kids

Windblade, Yes I remember Mad Libs. My son and I took a trip to San Simeon when
    he was 12. On the road we played Mad Libs. Fun game. It was invented by Roger
    Price (who created Droodles) and another writer who worked with him on the Tonight
    Show. Last time I moved I found one of the Mad Libs books from 30 some years ago;
    souvenir of our trip.

I tried to read Giants of the Earth by Rolvaag and Kristin Lavensdatter by Sigrid
    Undset decades ago. Didn't get very far with either of them. My dad has a
    restaurant in the 1940s. Sigrid Olson was his pastry chef. She made fabulous
    pies. We called her Sig. Decades later a book was written about our village.
    There is a picture of Sig with her siblings. There were 10 or 12 kids. They are all
    standing in a line according to height.

Dar, the first song I thought of re: your suggestion was "Too Fat Polka". I
    remember when it was popular. I read that when Arthur Godfrey was old
    and would make appearances, he would get annoyed that people always
    wanted him to sing that old song. I think he should have been glad that
    they remembered.

Last week I was listening to old radio programs: Jack Benny, Amos and Andy,
    a Charlie McCarthy-Edgar Bergen program. Edgar was the father of
    Candice, Charlie and Mortimer Snerd. They were discussing literature and
    authors. The only author Mortimer could think of was "Author Godfrey". He
    added, "Ya don't see mucha him lately. He fired himself."

Anyhoo, here are a couple songs:

My Skinny Minnie; Bil Haley and the Comets. She was 6' high and 1 foot wide.
    The Tallest Tree by Bonnie Guitar.
    Mission Bell. "My life for you is taller than the tallest tree. Fleetwood Mac.
    (The last suggested by Gordon who also remember Long Tall Sally. I
    never heard either, GB. HaHa!)

Rock
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, You never heard Little Richard sing Long Tall Sally ~ You don't know what you've been missing! :)

Maybe there's a video of it somewhere. It's lovely. (not). GB
  12. ConfusedInPA

Hi all!

Should we have Dar's post as a separate song game on a separate thread,

something like SONG GAME: Tall, Short, Fat, Skinny!

I can start a new thread (or y'all can start a new thread), and copy the posts from Dar, Rock, and GB to the "Tall, Short..." thread.

Let me know what y'all think!

By the way, great idea, DAR!

13. rockgor

Hi Diane

"The institute has no opinion."

That's what they say in law school when there are conflicting opinions, and no
    authoritative answer.

Seems like it is a new game. On the other hand, and there usually is one, can there
    be many songs that fit this category?

How about Shortnin' Bread? A Nelson Eddy favorite. Does that fit?

GB, I've never heard anybody sing Long Tall Sally. I do have a vague
    recollection of Little Richard from the dawn of rock and roll. Didn't he
    have a hit with a song that was also recorded by Elvis? I think I danced
    to both. As they used to say on American Bandstand, "Had a good beat".

Rock
  14. IceRaven3

IceRaven3 Member

15. IceRaven3

IceRaven3 Member

Thank God for this forum! I am feeling so lonely, guilty, sore and depressed! July 23, I was going to pick up my husband, and I had my beloved birdie with me. He always sleeps in my jacket. Well, he spooked and I went off the road and slammed into a tree. I broke my sternum, tore my knee and my glasses were ripped from my face when the airbag deployed. The car was declared totaled, but the worst is my baby flew away. The guilt of losing the car, losing the bird, being in so much pain and having to ask people to get stuff for me is almost unbearable. My daughter is of little help. She sleeps all day and I could starve. I have some protein shakes and granola bars, but I am practically living off them! My poor husband is just about bombarded when he comes home, but I have no one else to talk to. Of course the flare from the fibro is over the moon, but the doctors say I am just depressed and should start on an anti-depressant. When pigs fly! I take ONE oxycodone a day and two Advil. I am NOT going to pop pain killers. I did get a Synvisc shot in my knee, but I don't think it's helping much. My greatest pleasure is my bird feeders and my three remaining birds. But the lonliness is about to kill me. So, if you can stand my humor and I promise not to whine (much), here I am!
  16. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Diane,

Um...........tried to create new thread for short, fat, tall, skinny song game. Think it's floating in cyberspace somewhere. A little help please? I've not done this before. It looked like it was created. But when I came back to transfer mine and Rock's posts to it...........can't find it. Rattttsssss! I know it's out there somewhere. Just don't know where it went! o_O
  17. Darrae

Darrae Member

Oh wait! Found it! It didn't go under Homebound/Bedbound. It went to the list of threads to the right. Woohoo! Bad news is...........unable to fathom how to transfer the posts from the original site to the new song game site. I need serious help. I am obviously not good at this. :( Hang on here! I think I did it! It's not under Homebound, bedbound, but it's on the thread! Woohoo. Next time I need somebody to enlighten me as to how to do this the right way. Oi!
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  18. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Dar, I know how to start a thread but don't have a clue how to transfer from one place to another. I always leave that to the others with more computer know how! :)
  19. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi!

I loved Long Tall Sally! Great tune.

Ice Raven, welcome. I'm so sorry you had such a horrific experience. So sad and painful. It's okay to vent. It's okay to whine. That's what we do sometimes. Try not to think me "cheeky" if I offer you some cheese with that whine. :) Lord knows, we all need to be heard sometimes. And that is what these forums are for.

The neat part about these forums is that we understand. We "get" it. We all suffer from some similar, and many peripheral conditions in common for the most part. We don't all have the same things, but we do understand how we feel and how the others on these forums feel. So you just "let go" whenever you need to. We're here for you. FYI.....onset of my FM was the result of a car crash. Totaled out two full size pick up trucks doing the equivalent of hitting a brick wall at 80 mph. the EMT's told me. Accident wasn't my fault, but I've lived with the results for 18 long years.

With any luck, maybe some of the humor, puns, and coping mechanisms we use to cheer each other will cheer you too. Hope you feel better soon. Don't feel guilty. Stuff happens. We can't control everything that happens in our lives. If we could, we'd all be healthy and turning back flips. All we can do is try to get through things as best we can. My heart goes out to you.

Having to be dependent upon others and not getting much help, well, been there. It's no fun. I still have to depend on family for many things. But, we help each other. The two children who help me the most are the two who are both suffering from their own medical ills, oddly enough. Ironic.

Humor away! It's the best medicine!

Hugz
    Dar
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    gb66 likes this.
  20. ConfusedInPA

Hi, all!

I keep trying to keep our list updated. If I've missed a topic, please let me know, and I'll add it to my first post (with the list of songs).

Thanks!

Diane