List of stores closing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Dec 1, 2008.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I received an email list of stores closing soon and that you should beware of buying gift cards from these stores. I will paste the email below.

That said, I will follow this list up with an article I found on Snopes. The bottom line, you definitely need to be aware of what stores are closing, but just because a store is on the list, it may not be going totally under. It may just be a re-organization. But some are DEFINITELY closing and you don't want to buy gift cards from them. Read the email, but read the snopes article, too.

Here is the email (I rearranged the list so it was alphabetical and easier to read):
    Subject: Stores Closing

I wanted to give everyone a heads up that if you tend to give gift cards around the holidays, you need to be careful that the cards will be honored after the holidays. Stores that are planning to close after Christmas are still selling the cards through the holidays even though the cards will be worthless January 1. There is no law preventing them from doing this. On the contrary, it is referred to as 'Bankruptcy Planning). Below is a partial list of stores that you need to be cautious about.

Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide closing
    Bombay closing remaining stores
    Cache will close all stores
    Circuit City (filed Chapter 11)
    Dillard's to close some stores
    Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.
    Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January
    Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.
    Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January
    GAP closing 85 stores
    Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ ( New Brunswick )
    J. Jill closing all stores (owned by Talbots)
    JC Penney closing a number of stores after January
    K B Toys closing 356 stores
    Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine's to close 150 stores nationwide
    Levitz closing down remaining stores
    Linens and Things closing all stores
    Lowes to close down some stores
    Macys to close 9 stores after January
    Movie Galley Closing all stores
    Pacific Sunwear (also owned by Talbots)
    Pep Boys Closing 33 stores
    Piercing Pagoda closing all stores
    Sharper Image closing down all stores
    Sprint/Nextel closing 133 stores
    Talbots closing down specialty stores
    Whitehall closing all stores
    Wickes Furniture closing down
    Wilson Leather closing down all stores
    Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January

END of email

Here is the snopes url:

The Snopes article says it was updated Nov 24, 2008.

Bottom Line: Be aware & Be informed!!

2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The attorney general of our state was on TV stating that the gift cards are still being sold, but even on some stores that are not closing, some have very limited restrictions on their use and time limits for their use. So it was suggested giving cash or even an an American Express gift card as opposed to a gift card from stores.
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

...but I did receive an email from Eddie Bauer just recently with the following information:

To our valued customers:
    It has come to our attention that misleading information is circulating via email as part of a hoax intended to discourage consumers from buying gift cards from a number of retailers including Eddie Bauer. We want to set the record straight.
    Eddie Bauer has been in business since 1920 and operates 376 retail stores throughout North America. We also have a robust online and catalog division. In our March 2008 annual report, we announced both the opening of new locations as well as the closing of some older locations as part of our normal course of business. The stores referenced were all closed in January 2008. In 2009, we will again open and close a handful of stores as part of our normal business plan.
    Eddie Bauer remains committed to providing our customers with outstanding quality, value and service, now and for many years to come. Our gift cards are a great option for the holidays. You can purchase and redeem them at any of our retail stores, through our catalogs or at We look forward to serving you this holiday season.
    Neil Fiske
    President & CEO
    Eddie Bauer