Listen to the XMRV press conference

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Call 866-373-4990, and enter code 5711 when prompted. The conference is recorded.

Mary
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Will it be available on the web? Thanks.
    gap
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't know. It would certainly be easier to track if it was. I just listened to it and was probably able to follow 2/3 of it. It was pretty good, worth listening to.

One very dismaying thing however was the response of one of the doctors when asked about the safety of the blood supply. Basically, he said that when people donate blood, they have to certify they are in good health, so that should take care of it (!!!!!) Hard to believe he would make such a statement in the time of AIDS.

He also pointed out that causality of CFS by XMRV has not been proven, and transmission through blood has not been proven. But again, hard to believe he is offering that as somehow reassurance that the blood supply is protected!!!

He did mention some further studies being done and this is where a written transcript would be most helpful. Hopefully they'll publish it.

Mary

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks. I thought that the nation's blood banks are telling people with CFS not to donate blood, to be on the safe side? I wonder if that question should be put on the questionnaire you fill out. I am assuming there is a questionnaire, but I can't donate blood.

We don't know the causality nor the safety of blood transmission at this time. That is why I thought the above was recommended, but I may be misremembering.

How many people with CFS would feel well enough to donate blood? I would think very few but this is something that definitely needs to be looked at.

Yeah, I hope these things will happen.

I have to watch the minutes I use on my cell phone and it is the only phone I have. Hopefully, we will be able to get a transcript.

Thanks for the report.

gap