Listen to this about exercise and my FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Jan 8, 2009.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I know it has been said many times about exercise and I was like everyone else, thinking, how on earth can I exercise when I feel like I am dead on my feet? Well, I had gotten Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds and had been doing a quarter to a half mile daily (or trying to) and Wednesday I was off from work but I really did not feel like doing it because I am PMSing and you know that makes you feel terrible. But I did it anyway and guess what?! I FELT BETTER. So much better that I went shopping and felt NORMAL, whatever that entirely means. I did it again yesterday and was good until about 2 - then I crashed! So I made myself do it again today and it worked. It is only about 10 minutes and the pace gradually increases from slow to a bit faster and it isn't until my heart rate starts to get up that I actually feel the fog starting to lift. I thought it was worth posting about if it might help someone else. Try and see if you just push thru the initial fatigue when starting if you feel better after your blood gets pumping. God bless, Sonya
  2. loto

loto Member

I, too, feel I never have energy to exercise, however, I have a gazelle exercise thing and try to get on it every night. I can usually go at a good pace on it for 20 minutes. Some nights I just feel so tired I don't "make" myself do it. But, when I do, I actually feel better. I only wish I had time to do it in the mornings before work, to see if it helps me all day. Doing it at night feels like I'm doing it for nothing, because then I'm usually in bed a couple of hours later!! But, it is still good to do it to keep the muscles somewhat toned and in better shape. So, YES! I suggest people with FM do try to do some kind of exercise even if they're tired. Even if it's only for 5 minutes at a time, several times a day.

best wishes to all
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That is great! I DO believe that any amount of exercise that one can do has benefits! Many.

I am not saying that every single person can exercise like they want to and that exercise is the answer to one's pain etc. I think it should be used as something to assist you in feeling better.

Of course, moderation is key - listening to your body etc. Exercising does a lot for the mind and mood! Even if it is stretching, taking a short walk to the mailbox etc. Whatever one can do.

Thank you for your post! I'm really happy that you have taken the initiative for yourself. You should be proud of yourself. Sometimes just starting something is the hardest part.

Keep it up and keep us posted!
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Moderation IS the key and that is the hard part but I (hopefully) have learned from my mistakes in the past. When I was in remission, I started going to the YMCA, but when I got worse, I had to quit. Frankly, I could not afford it and was too tired to go. I have traditionally NOT exercised when I am exhausted and felt like many here who say, how can I exercise when I am completely drained?

In the past I would go beyond my limit when I felt good and do nothing when I felt bad. It is very disheartening to feel good in the morning and work out for 30 minutes and then be exhausted for the rest of the day. It is frustrating, especially when you know you did it to yourself and should know better. I once took a cycling class at the Y when I was feeling "normal" before I flared again and was literally sick for a week. I was completely exhausted all week and I knew it was from that. I won't ever do that again.

So, I limit myself so far to going a half of a mile, not the whole mile workout. By the time you get to a half mile, you have warmed up and increased the pace a couple of times and gotten the heart rate up some but not too high and used the weighted balls (I have the 1 pound). I honestly think it is getting that heart rate up a little that does the trick because that is when I feel it kick in.

I just got the balls and was thinking to myself, I could use a heavier ball, but then I reminded myself that just because I THINK I can do more, does not mean I can! And I figure even if I could do more safely, at least I am doing something.
    God Bless and thanks for your responses,
  5. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Hi Sonya.

I couldn't agree more. Exercise DOES HELP FIBROMYALGIA. I think what they do wrong when they tell people to exercise is they make it sound like they have to run a mile the first day, and then keep on going! No no no.

I lightly~ stretched every single day, and sometimes it would take me fifteen minutes between the stiffness and pain to finish my routine (or sometimes I'd split it up into 5 minutes, three times a day). Then I'd walk up and down the house for a few minutes. Yes, it was severely painful. Yes, I was unbelievably sore the next day from that. And the next. But yes, I kept going anyway (it just took me longer because of the pain and fatigue). And it did help. And without fail, whenever I go too long without moving, I'm headed straight for a fibro flare, so that keeps me in check.

Thank you for sharing your story. =)
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

That is true about telling people to exercise but you know doctors DO NOT have a clue as to how very modified our routine needs to be. I frankly doubt most doctors would consider saying to exercise 10 minutes a day and realize that is all that will be possible.

Today is Sunday so I decided to do the full mile just to see since if I have to I can just crash the rest of the day. I felt pretty good before I did it but now I see that I should not have done the full mile. It is not that I feel that bad, I just feel worse than I did with some achiness that I did not have before I started.

It is important that even it people feel like they have not really done anything to remember that some is better than none and I can tell you from prior pre-sickness experience that a little does matter. When I was taking aerobics twice a week, we did weights just one night and just for 15 minutes, which I NEVER would have thought would do anything but actually in a relatively short period of time, gave me muscle definition that I could see.
    God Bless,