lists of things that soothe/comfort/inspire us

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ellikers, Dec 29, 2005.

1. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Since it's so important to focus on taking care of ourselves through all our illnesses and the struggles we deal with on daily basis, I thought it would be a supportive idea to list out our own lists of what soothes us, what comforts us and/or what inspire us.

It could be people in out lives, certain music, artists, poems, books, poems, movies, TV shows, activities we do to take care of ourselves .... all those self-care activities we rely on, new ones we want to try and everything else in between!

So list on!

My first (short) brainstorm:
    - music from artists such as Lori McKenna, Jewel, Dixie Chicks, Sarah McLachlan, Bonnie Raitt, Patty Griffin, Ani DiFranco, Sara Evans
    - long walks (espeically in the rain or at night) around my neighborhood when i am feeling up to it. i especially like to listen to music while i walk.
    - warm soothing-smelling baths
    - lounging on the couch with my partner and watching movies or TV that I love
    - doing yoga by myself- slow, thoughtful, restorative postures and make me relax and release tension
    - big hugs with friends i adore
    - writing and talking (long distance over the phone) to friends
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Prayer is number one. I know it may sound like a cliche but I have truly experienced miracles the past few weeks.

Playing with our dog, a comical Jack Russell Terrier who is like our child.

Crocheting blankets - working on new complicated patterns with new yarns/colors -

Classical music - Adagio is especially nice.

Taking a walk with my husband and our JRT on a Sunday afternoon.

Sharing withs others here on this board

3. Musica

Musica New Member

For one: Donnaeil's post!

My furkitty, Monte, who LOVES (and even demands) to be held and who gives me kitty kisses in the morning!

My pastor, who is a very safe person in my life.

Being able to "snuggle in" and lay in bed/sleep until I feel like getting up

Music: a couple of great Classical pieces - Appalachian Spring (orchestral piece) by Aaron Copland and ESPECIALLY Ave Maria by Franz Biebl as sung by Chanticleer or another really good men's chorus. Heavenly! And the only good piece Biebl ever wrote :)
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

and additions:

- swimming (very gently and according to my energy level of course)
    - steamroom after I swim
    - naps
  5. tonia1990

tonia1990 New Member

Prayer
    Being with my husband
    My Furbabys
    Gospel music
  6. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Things that soothe,comfort, and inspire me (besides upbeat posts like this one :)

Being with my loving husband who loves having me home now that I am no longer able to work away from home. He lets me sleep in every day until I am ready to get up and then he meets me eagerly at the base of the stairs with a warm hug and a hot cup of coffee :) Who needs the rat race?

Spending time with my gorgeous 2 yr old granddaugter who is so full of joy and energy and wonder.

Spending time outdoors here in the woods, listening to the breeze in the trees and watching the birds, squirrels, rabbits, and deer who come to feed in our yard.

Music

Spending time creating lovely things in our glass studio. Since I can no longer do the commuting and all the stressful work I did before, it gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment to make something beautiful for others to enjoy.

Taking care of my garden..it may be small these days but it is such a joy
  7. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

I love this thread.......

1-hot sented bubble bath with candles all around, nature sounds and new age music.

2-early morning meditation and yoga to music by "Yani", new age artist, just as the sun is rising.

3-being snug as a bug in my bed reading one of my 200 or so books with my best friend and constant companion (Poodle) by my side.

4-watching movies all afternoon on my couch under a warm fluffy comforter with yummy snacks and (poodle) LOL

5-walking and spending time in nature (alone) but (with Poodle) LOL and in the summer (can't really go out much in winter) love to feel the sun on my skin and to hear birds, water, day dreaming of living in a world of faries and elves.

6-going for a profesional massage and having a facial, pedicure, and scalp massage. OHHHHHHHHH it feels so good!

I could go on but,.......these are my favorites

Hugs
    Sandy
  8. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

I like this thread,keep it going for just a bit more...
  9. ellikers

ellikers New Member

things that comfort me and bring me happiness:

- eating yummy GOOD-for-me food
    - going to an appointment where the health care provider is actually SUPPORTIVE and understanding about what i am going through, and are pro-active in helping figure out what's going on with me and get me feeling better! (okay so that is only one nurse practitioner, but it's one at least :) )
    - getting a massage .......
  10. petsrme

petsrme Member

Coming here comforts and inspires me

My daughter inspires me

My husband comforts me

My pets comfort me

Reading comforts me

God comforts me and inspires me
  11. ellikers

ellikers New Member

bump, because I think we could all use some comfort and relaxation. :) Hugs to all!!!!