Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Julie24, May 12, 2009.

1. Julie24

Julie24 New Member

Hi, my mri results of my brain scan came back as i had 3-4 little white spots in the frontal lobe of my brain...Can Fibro cause this??? i am so worried because i had read that having this can lead to MS multiple sclerosis...but i dont have the symptoms of that...i got to wait to see a neurologist but this time waiting is killing me inside....Please does anyone know if fibro can do this to the brain??????????

thanks so much in advance

2. outofstep

outofstep Member

can do that-if you read "Osler's Web" they talk about it extensively.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

The lesions caused by CFS are very, very small and there can be a lot of them....the lesions caused by MS are larger and there are usually fewer of them.....the CFS kind have been known to disappear on their own
  4. Julie24

Julie24 New Member

I looked at the site of osler's web but it gives me books that i can buy.. it is a website you are talking about right?
  5. Julie24

Julie24 New Member

i have 3 to 4 white spots aprox 1 to 2 mm it my frontal CFS and FM can cause this then right??
  6. 3gs

3gs New Member

yes cfs can cause lesions on the brain. this is very common. you can also have them just because(no reason)
    do you mean fm and cfs lead to ms? not true also lesions do not lead to ms
    [This Message was Edited on 05/12/2009]
  7. outofstep

outofstep Member

only has excerpts of the book, but you may be able to get a copy of the book at your library. If not you can buy one on amazon. The brain lesions were found on people in Nevada during the 80s outbreak and they had CFS so don't panic yet.
  8. 3gs

3gs New Member

went out of print but coming back

I couldnt get at library hope u can
  9. outofstep

outofstep Member

The 2006 edition is the most recent and is expanded-haven't read that edition yet. But that one and the previous editions are all available on amazon. They have a copy of the '96 version for twelve dollars listed right now. It's a great source of info and history.
  10. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

migraines can also cause white spots on the brain according to my neurologist . I had about 11 spots he said.. at that point I had not been dxed with Fibro yet.. just migraines.

I wonder myself .. and would like to have this re checked .

let us know what he says ok.

11. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

some of dr. peterson's most severe CFS cases have progressed to MS but generally, this is unlikely.
  12. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

I have them too. My neuro was "not concerned" with them and never did tell me what they were. I didn't even know they were there until I requested copies of my medical records. I am going to bring this up with my rheumy on Monday and see what she thinks. I have read that MS, migraines and CFS all can cause these spots.
  13. spacee

spacee Member

And they recommend not getting MRIs...

I don't believe all they say.

14. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

far as i'm concerned, the CDC and the NIH are the enemy.
  15. Julie24

Julie24 New Member

Hi everyone, i am seing a neurologist finally for those little white patches on my frontal lobe june 30 th so ill keep you's updated on what he tells me its caused by...i was really scared for MS but i dont have the symptoms...i just have FM and CFS!!! so i shall see what he says to me...

thanks everyone for your replies!!
  16. Doober

Doober New Member

This is how I was first DX'd. I had an "Episode" and after the MRI, I was told about the spots. The 2 letters came out of the DR's mouth as well and this set up a lot of tests with the Neurologist. Those test were in my opinion, inconclusive. But that is based on my experience with the DR and how he conducted the tests and follow ups.

So I was given Fibro as the DX.

I certainly understand the fear that must be going through your mind that will most likely stay in the back of your mind until all the test comes in.

But, to make you feel comfortable, there are quite a few things that could leave the white spots (A few have been mentioned in posts above) and most of them are nothing to be fearful of.

So keeping our fingers crossed for good tests and better results..............
  17. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

looking forward to hearing what he says.. best of luck my dear. and stop that worrying ok..

Take care

18. holiday16

holiday16 New Member

In some of my research I came across information regarding white areas on MRI's associated w/ celiac disease/gluten intolerance. I haven't read anything on it in a while, but if I remember right after starting a gluten free diet these areas resolved over time. Might be something to look into and see if you have any symptoms that match or where the bright spots associated w/ CD were located. has a great message board where you can find more info. Being off gluten helps keep my FM and symptoms under control, but does not get rid of it completely. I know some people say it does for them, but I wasn't that lucky. Still, it helped me go from being able to do almost nothing to having a life again so it's been very much worth it for me. It causes many problems for me, but the main ones are neurological. I've been checked for MS, but every time the symptoms have been traced back to gluten. Even trigeminal neuralgia which makes no sense, but there are documented cases where it's caused by gluten.

19. Julie24

Julie24 New Member

Hi everyone..

well i saw the neurologist...and he said everything was good...that the little patches are so tiny adn there are not many that its nothing to worry about..that it can be normal in some patients..and the cause is unknown...but i ask myself why are they there though...but he had no answer....
    i told him i had fibro and that i heard chronic fatigue can cause this..he replied "NO CHRONIC FATIGUE DOES NOT CAUSE PATCHES" It as though they dont believe in chronic fatigue or just pisses me off...but it was a big NO that it didnt cause white patches...i asked him why do i have all this at my age...hes like well alot of factors...couldnt tell me why..he said i aint the doc for that..a rheumatologist is better for that..and i am over weight of about 40-50 pds and he blames it on like ok what if i wasnt over weight??? then blame it on what??? it seems they blame eveything on weight and smoking...cuz they dont know what to look at....

eh well...i think im gonna start going the natural way to try and treat myself...seing a homeopath..which deals with deeper illness..the root cause of all this..and with natural remedies..may cost me a nice penny but i think it will be worth it in the end...i shall see...i havent started yet but will...

hope all is well...take care
  20. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've read for years that CFS can cause white punctate lesions on our brains, especially in the forefront of the brain. I don't think anyone knows what it means. I don't expect the doctors to have the time to research CFS in depth the way I do but I do expect them to believe me when I tell them what I've read and they usually don't. If we really get into a discussion about it I usually fax them an article or bring one or two in with the pertinent areas highlighted at my next visit.

Here's some links:... well I was all set to prove this but the first article I just Googled said this: "In conclusion, our study suggests that no MRI pattern of white matter abnormalities is specific to CFS."

That's interesting. That's the first time I've seen that article and it's from 1997.

But then another article states: "Magnetic resonance scans of the brain showed punctate, subcortical areas of high signal intensity consistent with edema or demyelination in 78% of patients and in 21% of controls."

OK. That's what I usually find.

Another one states: "Abnormal MRI's in many patients with Punctate lesions in the subcortical white mater and periventricular area's."

This goes into more detail on the lesions: "Many people with CFIDS have what is called focal brain damage, which makes me think of pinholes. MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain scans of people with CFIDS often reveal tiny punctate lesions, punctate indicating their pencil-point size, usually in the subcortical white matter. Disconcertingly, these are called UBOs, "unidentified bright objects," since these points appear on the scan as small white spots, casting those of us with CFIDS into a sci fi dream, which feels fitting.

Neuroradiologists argue over what these maps of inner light mean. Have the UBOs of inner space always been there, remaining unseen until new technology brought them, literally, to light? Are they found in healthy adults? Or do they mark a pathology that explains to tens of thousands of people with CFIDS why they find themselves disoriented and confused, putting the garbage in the dishwasher or trying to make a phone call with a calculator?

When they investigated the Incline Village, Nevada, epidemic that occurred in the mid-1980s, Harvard researcher Dr. Anthony Komaroff and his colleagues found brain lesions in twenty-one percent of healthy controls but nearly eighty percent of those who were ill with the mystery disease."

So there you have it. Three out of four sources say.... Punctate lesions in the brain show up more often in CFS.

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2009]