Live in NY: Who to call if my apt is making me sick?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DoveL, Mar 24, 2009.

  1. DoveL

    DoveL Member

    Hello all!

    I have CFS/FMS and have been a member to this board for 10 years. A good friend of mine who is or should I say was healthy, just moved into an apt. about 6 months ago, and ever since has been getting very sick! She has a chronic cough, and has had pnemonia 2x (has never had it before), and is feeling dizzy, with lots of breathing problems. I am trying to find help for her, as I know that the longer the exposure to something that could be toxic in her apt, the sicker she may get.

    Question is: She lives on Long Island New York... Who can she call to test her apt for toxic substances, and how much would that cost? Or is there a free agency that she can call to come to test it? I am doing some research today on the computer as well. But I know that this board is such a great wealth of information that I am hoping to find a contact here as well!

    Thank you so much.
    Good days to all!

    Dove L :) :)
  2. 3gs

    3gs New Member

    Hi Dove

    Call the Health Dept. also if there is a Housing Authority in area. usually you can find these under social services or state gov.osha

    could it possibly be carbon monoxide? call fire dept,they will come ck. Sounds like maybe a mold problem any signs of that? mildew?

    these agengies are free. What has landlord said? any neighbors getting sick?

    let us know best of luck
  3. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

    Hi Dove L,

    I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like a pretty serious situation.

    If you can find a patch of mold or mildew growing anywhere, you can send a sample of it to Mouldworks to be analyzed, and it's not that expensive. I think it was around $45 or so. Check their website. The professor who owns the company can tell you if any of the mold in the sample is a toxic kind.

    Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest except the obvious: tell your friend to move. I don't think living in any one place is worth damaging one's health for.

    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2009]
  4. DoveL

    DoveL Member

    Thank you for your helpful responses! I greatly appreciated. I am passing the information along to my friend. I just hope that she realizes how serious this is, and can actually cause permanent health problems as well!

    I agree Forbearance, that she should move ASAP, and try to get out of her lease as well.

    Good health!


[ advertisement ]