Liver biopsy results......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carolonly, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Carolonly

Carolonly New Member

I have just found out today that my liver biopsy came out abnormal and that I have fatty liver this has really brought depression into my life and I feel really weighed down......any suggestions will help..
  2. Carolonly

Carolonly New Member

I have just found out today that my liver biopsy came out abnormal and that I have fatty liver this has really brought depression into my life and I feel really weighed down......any suggestions will help..
  3. Roxi

Roxi New Member

Just wanted to advise you to go to the library and read up on it. Or internet search it. The more you know about it, the more control you have over it. We're all going to develop all types of physical problems while we wait for a cure. I supposedly have pancreatitis. Whatever....
    Stiff upper lip, girl! We're pulling for you!
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

all i can do is send you a grate big
    HUG,

KARA
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Fatty Liver
    Known Causes of Fatty Liver
    Obesity
    Diabetes
    Chemicals and drugs (such as alcohol, corticosteroids, tetracyclines, valproic acid, methotrexate, carbon tetrachloride, and yellow phosphorus)
    Malnutrition and a diet that is deficient in protein
    Pregnancy
    Vitamin A toxicity
    Bypass surgery of the small intestine
    Cystic fibrosis (most likely accompanied by malnutrition)
    Hereditary defects in glycogen, galactose, tyrosine, or homocystine metabolism
    Medium-chain aryldehydrogenase deficiency
    Cholesterol esterase deficiency
    Phytanic acid storage disease (Refsum's disease)
    Abetalipoproteinemia
    Reye's syndrome

Fatty liver is an excessive accumulation of fat (lipid) inside the liver cells.

Sometimes the cause of fatty liver is not known, especially in newborns. In general, the known causes injure the liver in some way.

Fatty liver usually produces no symptoms. Rarely, it causes jaundice, nausea, vomiting, pain, and abdominal tenderness.

A physical examination that reveals an enlarged liver without any other symptoms suggests fatty liver. The diagnosis may be confirmed by performing a liver biopsy, in which a long hollow needle is used to obtain a small tissue sample for examination under a microscope.

The mere presence of excessive fat in the liver is not a serious problem. Treatment aims at eliminating the cause or treating the underlying disorder. Repeated liver injury from toxic substances such as alcohol may eventually progress from fatty liver to cirrhosis.

The Merck Manual of Medical Information--Home Edition
    Sounds Like It is a wake up, to deal and treat some underlying disorders...and that its treatable. Don't be depressed, just research and find out what you can do.
    Karen[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2002]
  6. JUDY

JUDY New Member

I have had liver problems for several years due to medication. My dr. wanted to do a biopsy a couple of times and I refused. I started taking milk thistle (a high quaility from the health food store). My blood work started getting more in the normal range. I even have a enlarged liver and spleen from the damage but it can improve. I know first hand. Hope everything gets better for you. Judy
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and I have cirrhosis... (Non-alcoholic) We're waiting to see what UNC panel of hepatologists feel about the biopsy and what we can do to prevent further scarring of the liver. I am so sorry your results were abnormal, but my liver doc said that he assumed prior to my biopsy that I had a fatty liver. He was surprised by the biopsy results.Maybe you can find out why this has occurred and control it. I'll keep you in my prayers. I remember how hard your biopsy was for you....
    Love,
    Kady
    p.s. I take the Milk Thistle, myself.....
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2002]