Liver biopsy?'s high 4 no reason?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by s--raquel, Feb 5, 2007.

1. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Hello, I haven't posted in a while...been down...but I have a question about my Liver #S being high...For over a
    year my liver #'s have gone up and down alot...I have had an ultra-sound,M.R.I., Swallowed the scope, and every blood test they say they can think of...everything comes up looking normal...except my #'s. Now my Dr. wants to do a biopsy. He said he propably wont find anything but fatty liver but wants to do it next week! If it is Fatty Liver,
    (which the ultra-sound said it wasn't already!) there's nothing I can do for it but loose weight he said. I just
    can't imaging another procedure right now...I'm so exausted,and have sooo many other Dr. apointments!!!

Sorry so Long!!

1.Does anyone else have liver #'s that go up and down for
    no reason?

2.Or anyone else have Fatty Liver and have any suggestions
    for helping it?

2. a-b

a-b New Member

What numbers are up? My liver function tests were elevated but what caught my pc's attention was the ferritin level which was sky high. Turns out I have hemochromatosis which affects the liver and all other organs. It is too much iron in the blood. The treatment is to have blood taken out (phlebotomy) once a month or so. (No big deal, really!)

I would ask to have that checked before the biopsy.

Good luck. AB
  3. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

It's my alt and ast that go up so high...Funny you mentioned iron though...I'm soooo anemic...I had a port
    implanted so I can get iron infused 2-4 times a year(for
    3 years now) so im low iron instead of high....

Meds....concerta,prozac,nexium,ultratram,omega and melatonin vitamins...oh, and b-12 shots monthly

Dr said these shouldn't be causing problem....
    I take no Acetaminophen and don't drink

Thanks for your post and help!!!
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

Do you eat alot of fat and protein? If it is fatty liver, you can pretty much reverse it with diet, though it may take awhile depending on how bad it is.

You can learn alot about liver and diet from these 2 sites:

liverdoctor.com
    healingdaily.com

good luck!

karen
  5. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Karen...I dont eat alot of protein...I eat ALOT of sugar
    and carbs...it's a really big problem for me...I know I
    would feel alot better w/o them...every time I try to cut
    down...I end up eating more...I've read a little about carb
    and trans fat addiction...don't know if they're a real addiction...if it is, I have it! If it's not...it sure
    feels like one b/c it has a hold on me! Thank you for the
    websites...I will check them out.
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Aspartame can cause alcoholic liver!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. ephemera

ephemera New Member

S--Raquel,

I'm in a similar situation.

My recent sugar & liver tests all came back very high this last time. But the hepatitus tests came back OK. No problems with virus, etc.

So, my doc ordered an ultrasound of the liver. (They also do a scan of the pancreas, bile duct, kidneys, etc. at the same time.) It confirmed her thoughts of fatty liver without me having to do a biopsy.

Now to lower my sugar & lose the weight to bring the numbers down.

She also gave her OK to do some herbs to lower the nubmers. Now to confer with my primary doc.

best thoughts on having to avoid the biopsy.
  8. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Ephemera, thanks for the info...sorry about your Fatty Liver (isn't that a beautiful name?ha!) Im a little worried @mine b/c my ultra sound showed no signs at all of
    having it. But I've decided to wait on the biopsy for now!

Im gonna treat it as if I already do have Fatty Liver (again, that name gets me!) and try (AGAIN) to work on
    my weight!

Best of luck to you!!