Liver "cleansing" supp.- any ideas? Jam or anyone !!

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Granniluvsu, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

We already knew that DH's Liver enzymes were beginning to increase. What is a good supplement that can help that, especially if it is not an expensive one. I know that SAM-e is also good for that but it is also quite expensive. I am taking that now but may start to taper off anyway, at least to the lower dosage. I was taking 600 mg. daily but not sure how much good it is doing for the FM and my b/p. Have to take my b/p more as I haven't done so lately, at home. The doctor had changed my b/p meds. before which also seemed to help.

I bought something from WM called Liver Aid, I think. Not sure how good it is. You are supposed to or can take up to 3 tabs 3x a day, I think. DH would never go for that. His liver isn't THAT bad anyway.

I would be very appreciative of any ideas.

Thnaks to awl :)!!
    Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2011]
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Thanks Diane. Hope things will straighten out for you. I will check out the store to see what they say. Hope you both have a nice Thanksgiving !!

More hugs,
    Granni
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Granni - Milk thistle is very good, I've taken it for years with no bad side effects.

Also, alpha lipoic acid is supposed to be very supportive of the liver as well. Look it up.

And lemon juice added to water is great for helping to cleanse the liver.

Also dandelion tea helps get toxins out.

Mary
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Mary - Thank you so much for the information. I had heard about Milk thistle and dandelion but not sure about the others.

Do you send away for these or can you get any in Health Food or other stores? My DH's liver enyymes were increasing accoarding to his yearly blood work. The doc just mentioned what we already knew about Tylenol and alcohol. We do like to have a glass or two of wine around dinner time, if we are not otherwise running around some place.

BTW, do you know if there are any OTC pain relievers that don't bother the liver ?

Thanks again Mary !

Blessings,
    Granni
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

and that it would be good for the liver. Not sure I can get DH to drink dandelion tea but I might. I drink decaff. Green Tea in the morning.

Aspirin I guess would be a good thing but s for somepeople who may bruise easily as I do, or have bleeding issues might need to be careful about to much aspirin. Too much blood thinning going on. Also people who are already taking blood thinners would have to be very careful and talk to their doc.s about it. DH already takes the baby aspirin daily but it is so little. Not sure how much that really helps the liver;. Would be interesting to know though.

Thanks again Diane and Mary.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Yes, you can get these supps in any health food store.

Tylenol is notorious for causing liver damage and even liver failure so I would definitely stay away from that. It is the number one cause of liver failure.

N-acetyl-cysteine, an amino acid, is one more supplement that is strongly recommended for liver health. It's actually used by doctors and in hospitals to help prevent liver damage in the event of a Tylenol overdose. It does not take a lot of tylenol to cause an overdose.

I would add n-acetyl-cysteine as well as the other supps, and again you can get this at any health food store. Google "n-acetyl-cysteine liver" and you'll finds lots of info.

Mary
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I already knew about Tylenol. Wonder if Ibuprophen is just as bad. I really haven't done any or much research lately - to busy !

Do take all of them every day? I already take a host of supplements for osteoporosis , hi b/p, thyroid, and gen. flexeril and klonopin at night ( a small amout of gen. Klonopin). Occasionally I take a 1/2 Tramadol occasionsally. I refuse to take to many pain meds and have had it for so long (FM) I guess I am just used to all the pain, that I have had for over 25 years. I refuse to be a zombie but who knows maybe I will become oe one of these days when I can't stand it any more.

Toodles for now

Granni
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Well, I would take them all, especially since your husband's liver enzymes are going up. I have taken them all when necessary with no ill effects. And if he doesn't like dandelion tea, there are also dandelion capsules. But I think the milk thistle and NAC and ALA are the most important. Also the lemon water is very good for the liver and other organs.

If you're concerned, add one in at a time and see how you do.

I'm not an expert on pain meds, I don't have that issue to deal with, but I do believe that Tylenol is worse than ibuprofen for the liver. Again, it doesn't even take that much more than the recommended dose of tylenol to cause liver damage, unlike ibuprofen. It is the chief cause of liver failure in the U.S. Also, Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory, unlike ibuprofen. I don't think it's as good for pain as ibuprofen. Yes, a lot of ibuprofen is not good either but I don't think it's nearly as bad as lots of tylenol. But I don't know what the best med for pain is, there are many others on this board who know a lot more about pain and pain meds than I do.

Fish oil and flaxseed oil and I think just omega 3's in general are good for inflammation. They may help with your pain too, and of course avoid sugar etc.

I take a ton of supplements too, but seem to need all of them. I hope to one day get to where I can live like a "normal" person - it gets expensive taking all this stuff!

Good luck -

Mary
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Thanks Mary and Diane for your thoughts and information. I pretty much guessed that both or all pain pills, both OTC and script. are not good for the liver or anything else. I try and stay away from them as much as I can.. Also have Tramadol so I take 1/2 pill every once in awhile in the morning.

I guess apirin might be the safest but then you have to worry about bleeding. So, you may trade one problem for another.

Sorry but I havae to run. DH needs the puter again :)!!

Love,
    Granni
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Please check out the store here at this site. It is the proceeds from sales of Prohealth's products which provides these boards, research library and contributions to research into our illneses. PH products are of the highest quality and are priced as good as any good products sold online or in stores. It's our support which keeps this website going. Please, at least, check the store out. Thanks.

Love, Mikie
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Thanks Mikie and Jam. I haven't had a chance to check prices anywhere yet on anything. I've been to busy and broke right now from Christmas shopping, etc. My shopping consists mostly of gift cards.

Hugz to all,
    Granni