Liver failure?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Jul 6, 2011.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for the liver to die being on an acetaminophen regiment. (max doesage) 4000mg a day.

2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Can sure take a beating,but you need to support it with good stuff.
    Milk thistle is excellent, there's a few more that won't hurt.
    I'm with jam, get a simple blood test to see how it working.

How long were you on that dose??? For what it's worth, my husband is a heavy drinker, takes handfuls of ibuprofen, has high iron and ferritin levels.

He saw a hematologist today, and he said his liver is working fine :/ which is good news. Just something to make you feel a lil better.

Please get a blood test tho,that way you won't be worrying yourself sick.

3. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Well so far all of my liver tests are coming back ok. That is why I am so upset with the doctor about lowering my pain meds. I am in pain, this isnt working, and I am at a loss at what to do. I have no life again, and flat out just sick and tired of doctors playing God with my life.

Mostly I was just curious at about how long it takes for the acetaminophen to actually eat up the liver.

I started on 3 darvocets back in March 2005. Then I went to 3 lortabs in Oct 2005. I worked my way up to 8, and now back down to 6. If I am going to suffer with pain, then I would rather just go home. I am tired of pain. I am so sensitive to meds of all kinds, and the doctors wont listen. I dont have the money to keep going to other doctors until I can find one that will listen to me. 38 years of type 1 diabetes is enough to deal with. Like I have said before, the diabetes alone is too much. Any little thing makes the blood sugars go up, especially pain. Its my life, and I would rather live a life with less pain, than to live longer just to be in more pain. What is the point.

I am very sensitive to meds. I have still not been able to find any antidepressant, or any anti anxiety meds that I can take. I finally find a pain med that I can handle, and they cut me down. This is bull!

4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Why dosent your dr keep you on the meds that work for your pain, and just check your liver function every 3 months??

My dr checks my kidney, liver, sugar, and several other things every time I go. I dont get it.

Maybe have a talk with him, and explain why you want to stay on your current dose, especially if your being monitored for problems.
    As for the anxiety/ depression thing. I'd try thevnatural route if I couldn't take the meds.
    L theanine is good for anxiety, and st johns wort is good too.
    Vitamin d will help the pain a little bit.

Along with your pain meds, take something to support your liver like milk thistle. Ask you dr about the supps

I feel for you and hope you get some your dr and make an appt to talk to him about all of this.

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Check out this article:

It states that the recommended maximum dose is 4 grams a day, so it sounds like that amount is safe to take and should not destroy your liver. However, they emphasize you shouldn't drink alcohol when taking that much tylenol. The above article does have a lot of info so it's worth taking a look at. And of course get blood tests regularly to check your liver.

Have you tried 5-htp (an amino acid) for depression? It helps the body produce serotonin without side effects like prescription AD's.

Also, l-theanine, another amino acid, is very good for anxiety and lowering stress. It helps the brain produce GABA.

I can't tolerate most meds either so am very glad I found these amino acids. I think they work better than drugs, and don't just mask symptoms.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If not, it might be helpful. If you do, perhaps you might want to get another opinion. We have the right to pain relief without taking drugs at levels which are lethal to the liver. Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

A pain specilist/pain clinic should have doctors who know what meds. are helpful for pain without doing a lot of damage to your liver. They are well versed in managing pain when someone also has other health conditions.

It is best if you go to a pain clinic/doctor who is affiliated with a hospital. The doctors tend to be better qualified.

I would get off the milk thistle ASAP as it can actually mess up the liver. Unless you have liver failure or serious problems with your live, you would probably need a stronger med. than a supplement.

Good luck.

ETA Of course you have to weigh the risks with the benefits. Chronic pain can rewire your brain, become a self feeding loop so to speak. Chronic pain is starting to be recognized as a distint disease. [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2011]
  8. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Dear Julie,

I felt really bad for you when I read your post. I know how hard it is to go down on pain meds. My sister has been taking eight 10/325 Lortab for about the past 3 years and always ends up running out. Her dr. prescribes 6 a day and it's just not enough for her anymore with so many health problems. She ends up borrowing a lot of my pain meds from me every month just to get by. I myself take 5-6 a day and figure that's not too bad considering that I've been taking them daily for about 10 years with my dr. upping it every couple of years. She refuses to up my meds and is keeping them to 5 a day so I end up borrowing a few from my sister too!

It is very important to have a dr. who understands your need for pain meds! As long as you get tested every 6-12 months I would think that would be fine. I get my bloodwork done every year myself and so far so good. I felt sad when you said that you would rather be in less pain than to live longer with more pain. My sis says the same thing and I know she really means it. I always tell her that at least between what her dr. prescribes for pain each month and what she borrows she is getting what she needs. I too believe that maybe a pain management dr. would be more sympathetic so hopefully you can find a good one!

I'm sorry to hear that you have diabetes too, it's such an awful disease. I have 2 very good friends that have it and I know how hard it is for them to deal with on a daily basis. In fact, I made a chocolate cake for my one friend's b-day and felt really bad when her sugars got high and she was feeling sick the next day. I made her promise to bring her meter and insulin with her to the party but she forgot. I told her that next year I am buying her a diabetic cake with no sugar-added ice cream!

As far as the AD's go, it's too bad you can't find something that you can tolerate. I have one of my son's on St. John's Wort for depression and it is working very well for him. If you do decide to try it make sure your dr. or phamacist say it's safe for you with any other meds and your insulin. I hope that you can find a new dr. soon who will prescribe what you need and hope that your pain gets better too! Take care of yourself and try not to worry too much because stress makes our pain worse.

Wishing you the best, Julie