Liver Function Tests slightly high...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam_d, Oct 10, 2002.

1. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hi, all. My new doc told me my recent liver function tests are "slightly high" so she wants to run some more bloodwork to be on the safe side. I pulled out some two-year old tests from my old doc; bilirubin slightly high then, too. Is this normal for FM/CFS patients? Should I be worried? I tend to get anxious about all this stuff! Thanks!

Pam
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hi, all. My new doc told me my recent liver function tests are "slightly high" so she wants to run some more bloodwork to be on the safe side. I pulled out some two-year old tests from my old doc; bilirubin slightly high then, too. Is this normal for FM/CFS patients? Should I be worried? I tend to get anxious about all this stuff! Thanks!

Pam
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Me, again! I forgot to mention milk thistle! Can anyone tell me their experiences with this? Supposedly helps support liver function. Thanks so much!

Pam
  4. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

First I have to ask, do you take a lot of prescription meds..Having FM a lot of us take pain killers, etc..They can all do a real number to your liver and cause your levels to go up..Have you currently been fighting some other type of infection, that can also contribute..
    Just make sure you have your levels checked again..If they get too high, make sure you see an Gastro Dr..
    I only say this, because I am an AIH (autoimmune hepatitis) patient..I am on meds for some other problems, but they had to rule everything out first, had a liver biopsy and showed that it was AIH..
    Since CFS/FMS are usually considered an immune system problem, it is very likely that once you have one immune system problem, you could have another..
    Just make sure your DR. doesn't drag this out too long..
    AIH is chronic, but is usually controlled easily with treatment..
    You mentioned that your levels are only slightly high, so I personally would not be that concerned at this point; but I would want to be checked more frequently.....
    Best Wishes............Donna

**I have not ever used Milk Thistle but that is due to my AIH..A lot of people swear by it, I would mention it to Dr. first...........[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2002]
  5. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

I have a question for you.. My tests on my liver where in the high 70's and high 80's.. I am also scheduled for a liver biopsy. However it was pinpointed from not taking medications (from my liver doc). My medical doctor says it is. I heard that these high levels are usually due to a disease or inflammation.??

Regards
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

for the info. I just had further blood testing (for hepatis, etc.) today, so I should know more next week. I don't take any regular meds. except 25mg. benedryl at night. Someone mentioned in an old post that Devin Starlanyl's books said it's common for FM patients to have liver tests run slightly high; I pulled out my copy, but couldn't locate any reference to this....

Pam
  7. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

When my levels were at their highest, they were like 1400..High levels DO NOT ALWAYS MEAN DISEASE, like autoimmune hepatitis (AIH)..If medication was ruled out, it could also be from some type of infection..
    With AIH your liver will be inflammed or scarred..Please see the post For Milo83 by kadywill..I responded to her post all about AIH..It can be from taking meds as your PCP says, but if it were me, I would go along with what the liver dr. says, they are more well informed as to how to handle this..
    As I told her a liver biopsy will be able to tell your dr. a lot more..
    Best Wishes & please let us know how things are going..
    AIH also has some of the same symptoms as Fibro..
    Take Care.............Donna
  8. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Hi Pam,
    Sorry you are having these problems. Just one more thing to worry about. As if we don't have enough, right?
    My liver enzymes have been slightly elevated since 1989 when I first got sick with CFS. They did a biopsy but nothing showed up.
    This past January they were 8 times too high and I was on paxil so I thought it was from that. I quit the paxil and felt like a new person until July. I got deathly ill and they were back up to almost 500. They did another biopsy and it showed something autoimmune. They did more blood tests and the Dr. doesn't really know what's going on because nothing showed up on those tests. He's keeping an eye on my levels right now so I'm in limbo.
    I'm really bad to attribute everything to CFS. No matter how I feel or what is going on with my body. That can be dangerous. I finally came to my senses and realized something else was going on. Lesson learned, we need to listen to our body.
    I have heard that it is normal for people with CFS to have elevated liver enzymes. I don't really know though. Just keep watch on them.

Sapphire
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I just had more bloodwork, should have the results this week. It IS scary, though....and my doc on the phone said "slightly high" so I don't have numbers in front of me to refer to, don't know how high is "slightly" high...anyway, I should know more soon, thanks to all for writing who have had experience with this liver stuff, hope you all stay well!

Hugs, Pam
  10. herblady

herblady New Member

my depakote at one time had kept my liver enzymes elevated for 6 months. i took milk thistle for it and it brought it down and it stayed down. i now take it for a month at a time every three month just to be sure. i harp on milk thistle a lot. that's because i think it's practically a wonder substance. other herbs to take with it to help it work even better: dandelion root, goldenseal, gentian, beet root, artichoke, oregon grape, chickory. cindi
  11. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

My dr. told me my liver tests were high 3 out of 4 and I was jaunduced. however you spell that. but he didn't tell me to do anything for it.
    when i told my rheumie about what he said, she was concerned, but again, didn't tell me to DO anything about it.
    I had Epstein-barr virus then too, so it is probaboy related to that.
    I was just reading in FIRST magazine today about the first sign of a poorly functioning liver is low energy and how vinegar improves the organ's function by stimulating it to prduce more bile.