Liver 's still high...docs can't explain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by s--raquel, Jan 27, 2007.

1. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Hi to everone. I have posted b/f on having realy high liver enzymes...The first lab tests had my #,s as 400.
    They have sence gone up as much as 620 and back down as
    low as 100 (normal range is 10-42 im prety sure!)
    After my last blood test the e.r. doc said to find out whats causing this asap! i have since had a ct,mri,swallowed the scope thing....and nothing is showing
    up! I don't drink but do take quit a few meds...but my
    doc says all my meds go through kidneys,not liver....

Anyone had troubel with high liver enzymes and upper abdominal pain?
    Next comes a biopsy...
    Im just a litte concernde...Glad they have't found anything...but disapointed at the same time...Somethings
    happening for my #,s to me so high..and sometines the pain
    too.
    anyhely would be great!!
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

What meds are you taking exactly?

My own liver doctor was too stupid to recognize liver dysfunction because I had normal enzymes. That just means liver cells aren't dying at the time of the test. So yours are. ALL medications are processed through the liver to some degree.

karen
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Renal and Hepatic Impairment
    Hepatotoxicity; Liver; dysfunction damage
    Arsenic, Copper, Thallium

Cirrhosis of the liver hepatitis
    Copper

Ref: National Institute of Health

CFS viruses like EBV, CMV, Lyme, HHV-6

Also visit the Liver Doctor, Dr. Sandra Cabot
    www.liverdoctor.com
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Try to find a really good Chinese doctor (Traditional Chinese Medicine). An immigrant from Taiwan or China would be best.

Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is the only sort of medicine that I've ever heard can do anything about liver problems.

My husband elevated liver enzymes for years. After seeing a Chinese doctor for a while, his enzymes went down to normal and stayed there.

Your enzymes are more elevated than his were, and so I don't know if you'll get the same total success. Hopefully you can get at least some help though.

5. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I agree with Karen that medications and supplements may be important to elevated liver enzymes so get a thorough review of all meds with your health care providers.

Usually MDs will do a whole panel of liver-related tests; hopefully yours also did tests looking not only for liver cell death but also liver FUNCTION (albumin, blood clotting factors).

Your levels are not in the thousands (which is seen with viral infections) but a hepatitis panel should also be done.
    If the CAT scan is normal, then fatty liver is probably not a cause.

Other possible but rarer causes are autoimmune hepatitis (check ANA levels), hemochromatosis (iron overload - check iron levels), and Wilson's disease (check copper levels).

After these have been gone through with your doctors, Lisa's tips make sense; also see Dr. Andrew Weil's book Natural Health, Natural Medicine about ways to protect the liver. He likes using milkthistle.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/27/2007]
  6. HAPPYDOGSUZ7777

HAPPYDOGSUZ7777 New Member

Aloha,
    I have a friend who had your problem,
    He has Celiac Sprue and when he went gluten free his liver went back to normal. I also have fms and celiac sprue.
    I think a lot of the folks here would be wise to get tested for celiac sprue disease. If you want to get tested for this,ask the doctor for a celiac blood panel test.
  7. virtuoso

virtuoso New Member

Hi s--raquel,

Wow!!! After reading your post, I am almost embarrassed now to be even a little concerned about my own liver enzymes being elevated.

In the beginning I attributed the increased number in my enzymes to the large amount of Vitamin A I was taking at the time, and so I stopped Vitamin A and began taking milk thistle instead. My numbers went down slightly, but are still not back to normal yet.

I see one of the other suggestions you got is to try a new gluten free diet. It is certainly worth trying, but I don’t know much that will be able to help your liver, as I’ve been on a gluten free diet for a couple of years. Way before my liver enzymes went up.

I now believe that my problem started with me being on Nystatin for an excessive amount of time. I was told that Nystatin should not affect my liver, but after reading Dr. Wong’s Yeast Protocol article, I am now more convinced than ever that I was right. Well, I’m off it now so we’ll see what results that brings, and I plan to have it tested frequently and monitor my progress.

I hope you will find out what’s wrong very soon!!! Good luck.

Best wishes,

Toma

8. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I had this issue about 18 months ago. Initially my Dr didn't think it was due to the Tylenol I was taking because it was such a small amount (approx. 750 mg or less per day).
    However once I changed medications to one that doesn't contain Tylenol, my liver slowly went back to normal, but it took several months.
    I noticed on one of your other posts you say you take Ultracet, that contains Tylenol and may be the culprit. Ask your Dr to use Ultram or another medication that doesn't contain Tylenol for a few months and then re-do the liver test and see if it changes.

Good luck
    Sincerely
    JL
    [This Message was Edited on 01/28/2007]