Liver topic and question.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Dec 19, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

For about the past month, I've had pains off and on underneath my right rib cage and toward the middle. I ignore almost all pain and chalk it up to fibro but this does make me wonder. Anyone else have this pain. Should I continue to ignore or mention it to doc sometime. Sometimes it feels like someone punched me and sometimes it gets better.
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

press under the right bottom rib, next to the sternum. If this is where the pain is at, its the gallbladder.

The liver has no pain receptors.

The liver empties into the gallbladder. Bile is concentrated and empties into the small intestine to help digest fats. Gallstones, from overconcentrated bile, will block the bile duct and cause pain. Does it hurt more when you consume fats & oils?

It's best to get the gallbladder looked at. I would see a doc right away, as it can be life-threatening.

3. Catseye

Catseye Member

The liver is right under the breasts and most of it is on the right. The gallbladder is right under the liver a little to the right of center under your breasts. Gallbladder pain is a sharp pain that seems to increase in intensity with every inhalation. Sometimes, you can't really move because it's so bad. It sounds like a gallbladder "attack" which is probably full of stones or can include more serious blockage of the ducts with those stones that go down to the intestine.

I had an attack a couple of days ago that started the night before and then in the morning it hurt for a couple of hours. I'm sure I have stones but I'm dealing with my whole liver/gallbladder thing with supplements. I may go to the doctor soon and get an ultrasound to see how big my stones are and decide if I need to attempt a "flush" or consider surgery. If the pain returns accompanied by fever, that means infection and you need to rush to the doctor if that ever happens. I think it has given me ocassional pains for years but this 2 hour pain I think has been the worst.

I have a good idea of what is going on in my body so I'm not in a rush to go to the doctor but it can cause all kinds of digestive problems and the back up of bile into the liver which is not good. So you should definitely mention it to your doctor but arm yourself with knowledge, first! Look up liver congestion and gallbladder flushes for alot of info about them and what you can do yourself that your doctor won't know about.

Learn about it first so you'll know about the ultrasound he's going to want to do and possible surgery. Or you can attempt the natural "flushes" I've read so much about but never done.

good luck!

karen
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2007]
  4. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi Cjcookie,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling bad. I had to have my gall bladder removed in 1995. I had the occasional attacks like are mentioned here for several years. I was glad that I went when I did. The doc said the average size of the gall bladder was around the size of a walnut and mine was the size of a bratwurst. Had I have waited and tried flushes, etc I would not be here now to type this. I would not wait to see the doc on this. Not to offend anyone but this is not the kind of thing to try to heal with suppliments, etc. I am sure they possibly have some purpose but I personally would get checked. At least the doc can do an ultrasound and see what's going on in there.
    God Bless,
    Bob
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2006]
  5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I am having similiar problems as you and I am going in for an ultrasound on my gallbladder tommorow morning. It has been bothering me so long and I have been not feeling well at all lately. Beside the pain on my right side, I am having mid back and upper back pain. I also break out in a cold sweat off and on threw out the day.

If you have close family that have had their gallbladder out you have a good chance of having problems too. My mother and my brother both had to have theirs out. They both feel so much better.

Please get it checked out. We ignore too many symptoms because of the FM. Also we have so many overwhelming symptoms, whatever is hurting the most get the attention. I`ll let you know how mine goes tommorow.
  6. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I have that pain all the time, and it gets much worse when I breathe in. My rheumatologist sent me for an ultrasound due to high liver enzymes and this pain. Fortunately, it was just a fatty liver, and no tumors were found. I most likely damaged my liver from 5 years of prednisone, and 7 years of higher than the max dose per day of advil. Now I am in trouble because none of the RA meds are working for me...and I cannot take many of them. My RA has affected my liver, my lungs and now my heart. Really sucks...as I do not drink, or smoke, and consider myself to be fit. I used to play sports every day of the week...even did so when 9 months pregnant.

I know that the gallbladder is also where you said you have the pain, so I would certainly have your doctor examine the pain.

I also know that most gallbladder issues or gallstones are reserved for the 4 F's...FEMALE, FAT, FAIR and FORTY. If you fall into these categories it certainly could be our gallbladder...especially if you have lost a lot of weight recently, or drastically changed your diet.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  7. ladykew

ladykew New Member

I just had my gallbladder taken out this year after suffering for several years of my gallbladder getting sore and then getting better, over and over. Then I started getting sick. No doctor ever took me seriously. My own PCP wouldn't even give me a referral because she didn't have enough in my file on the subject. WHAT?????

So, I called the surgeon and asked for a referral to a gastroenterologist, and he said okay. Then he changed his mind after a few days and said no, he couldn't refer me. So, I asked the nurse if I could just make an appointment with the surgeon. She said okay, I went in, had an ultrasound, and I was loaded with stone, and he felt surgery was justified. We scheduled a date for the following week. However, over the week-end, I started
    vomiting, diarrhea, awfully sick. I called and asked if I could have the surgery moved up. They accommodated me and I not only was full of stones, but my gallbladder was severely diseased, a stone was stuck in the opening of the bile duct, had been there for a long time, and I was set up for grangrene. They had to reroute the surgery to get to the lodged stone, and my healing took a very, very long time. I had diarrhea for over three months afterwards because I was so very sick. Don't wait, Cookie. See your doctor immediately. This could be very, very serious!
  8. Catseye

Catseye Member

Here in the Dominican Republic, medical care is very reasonable and very good. So I went to get an ultrasound today because I was curious about my gallbladder. The ultrasound is only $10 and the doctor visit $17. So why not go, right? Well, I was totally expecting to hear about my gallbladder but the lady said there weren't any stones and the ducts weren't blocked! I watched with her on the screen and it's not like the US where all the techs say "we're not allowed to discuss that with you, you'll have to wait for the doctor". My God, I used to hate that!!! Anyway, it was my pancreas that was inflamed!! So now I don't know if the pain was my gallbladder or my pancreas! I was convinced it was gallbladder because of the location. The pancreas is a little lower but it's hard to tell.

So now I'm reading everything I can about the pancreas. That sure explains the hypoglycemic attacks I've been having every night. I hope I don't end up with additional blood sugar problems because of this. Just thought I'd tell you about this. From what I've read so far, pancreatitis can be pretty dangerous, too, probably even moreso.

happy xmas!

karen
  9. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

I've had the same pain on and off for years. Over the last 3 months its been pretty constant. Doc suspected gall bladder and sent me for ultrasound. Everything was perfect on the ultrasound. Guess its a lot like the constant pain I have in my soft tissues. It sure hurts, but all the tests look fine. Very strange.
  10. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I know - it feels like when I did have one but I got that out many years ago. A long time ago, a doc mentioned something about a valve that was there that may not open and shut properly - it's kind of foggy and I hated him so that's all I remember. He's the lunatic that wanted me to go to a psychiatrist BEFORE he did my colonoscopy because you know whenever a woman has stomach problems, it has got to be all in her head. A friend of mine (male) went to the same doc with practically the same problem and guess what - no mention of a psychiatrist. I ended up having collegenous collitis and the male friend had absolutely nothing wrong. After he told me what I had, I said to him - "glad I didn't waste my money on that shrink you wanted me to go to." He had that look that boys get when they get in trouble and didn't say another word.
  11. Catseye

Catseye Member

Your doc probably meant "sphincter of Oddi dysfunction", the sphincter that allows bile to enter the intestine from the bile ducts. It can be too tight and cause painful pressure on the ducts.

It could also be a stone left in the bile ducts from the surgery and is slowly enlarging. More rare is the cystic duct not clamped and cut close to its base during surgery and leads to enlargement of the remaining part of the duct, which can also lead to more stone formation.

If it is the sphincter and the bile and pancreatic secretions back up, that can be very bad. Better get the doctor to do some tests.

good luck!

karen
  12. Catseye

Catseye Member

forgot to ask, have you given up wheat and dairy? and do you take alot of NSAIDs? do you eat alot of fat and/or red meat?

karen