Liver Ultrasound this morning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bozey, Oct 12, 2005.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

I had a liver ultrasound this morning and the technition said it looks like a fatty liver. Anyone else on here have that? I looked it up and it doesn't seem like a big deal, unless I read it wrong.

My doc should get the results in a day or two but I just hate waiting.

bozey
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I have it, and know several other people who do.

As far as I can tell it isn't a big deal in itself. It has no real symptoms except for perhaps very slightly elevated liver enzymes. It does no harm to you at this stage. And many people have it and don't even know it. It appears to be more common among those who are overweight or have higher cholesterol levels.

HOWEVER, it can get much worse and lead to chirrosis of the liver (permanent damage). Disclaimer -- I don't know why some progress to further damage and many just stay at "fatty liver". Maybe someone else here knows about that.

And many doctors seem to think that it's a sign that you're an alchoholic (SP?) as fatty liver is common in alchoholics too (before they get cirrosis).

I've had a total of maybe 6 alcoholic drinks in my life -- but I got a big speech from the doctor about giving up the booze when the liver ultrasound results came back! (Grrr... don't they ever read the darned chart?)

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. bozey

bozey New Member

I know what you mean about the Dr. asking you if you drink. I too have only had maybe 6 drinks my whole life. But, I'm lucky that my Dr. believes me. I've been going to him for 10 years.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully mine will just stay fatty.

I told my husband I had a fatty liver and he cracked up. I told him now I can say my belly isn't fat, it's my liver.LOL I've got a skinny body but my belly has bloated up on me.

bozey
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I have a fatty, enlarged liver too. My liver enzymes are high but have lowered a bit during the last 10 months. My cholesterol has just become high and I have gained a lot of weight in the last year or so.

My doctor was not that concerned until my cholesterol soared and I cannot lose weight no matter what I do. The answer is exercise and losing weight. Well, duh! If I could do both, I would. It is a vicious circle.

I am going for another ultrasound in a week to see if it looks any better.

Our livers can heal themselves so I am told. I am drinking a little dandelion tea every day for that purpose. There are other things you can do to support your liver which you might want to investigate.

Pepper