***Liver Ultrasound***Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by getfitat40, Dec 13, 2005.

1. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

My liver enzymes are alarmingly high and my Rheumy wants to do a liver ultrasound to look for fatty liver disease (love that name - not) or even tumors or other bad stuff. I did a search and saw one post on this, but I am wondering if others have had this test and what to expect. Thanks in advance,
    Nancy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2005]
  2. justonemoreday

justonemoreday New Member

do you have Hep C? i had one done,there was notin to it and they will prob see nothing unless you are scarred really bad with advanced liver disease. then go from there. stay cool its okay to be scared but wait for the results. you can not do anything about it yet so don't drink beer and eat right. good luck.
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I tested negative for Hepatitis and with all the meds I am on, I rarely drink. I thought it would be just a regular ultrasound but wanted to be sure. I'll worry until I know it is nothing, but I already feel better hearing from both of you.
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

They did an abdominal ultrasound on me and found a cyst but aren't worried. However the technician was training someone and let them spend a few minutes (with my permission) practicing. He pushed much harder than the technician and I was actually bruised for several days and dumped lots of bile from all the pressure on my gall bladder!

Jan
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Some meds can cause liver damage. If I were you, I would thoroughly check out the potential side effects for everything you are taking (and not just take the doctor's word for it - you have to do your own research).

I have a friend who was taking Lexapro. She'd been taking it for a few years. She was complaining about being tired, trouble concentrating, diarrhea without warning - I read up on Lexapro and those were all potential side effects. To make a long story short, she's cut her dose in half (working with her doctor) and is feeling much better.

Mary
  6. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I just had one last Friday.

They had seen liver cysts when doing a CAT scan of my shoulder and wanted to check it out. The ultrasound itself was only a bit painful. You have to lay on your left side part of the time, and they sort of push against your right side ribs a lot. This is the part I found uncomfortable. But it was a breeze compared to a mamagram.

Seeing as I have been in UNBELIEVABLE pain in my left shoulder, I cried and sobbed during the part of the ultrasound when I had to lay on my left side (shoulder). I felt so foolish. If I had not had to lay on that shoulder, I would have been fine.

They scanned my gallbladder, kidney and liver. I think that is normal for them to do all of them.

In mine, they found that my cysts were probably there from childhood (maybe from having jaundice as a baby) and were no problem.

Hope yours comes out with a similar good outcome.
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

I had my third abdominal ultrasound done a few weeks ago. It showed that my liver is enlarged and fatty probably as a result of meds I was on years ago. They also found benign tumours in my kidneys.

All in all, there is nothing the doctors are doing about any of it. I am trying to strengthen my liver on my own.

Pepper
  8. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I am so relieved to see so many others have had this with little or no pain.

Dailylillyfan- I know what you mean about having to lay on portions of your body that hurt. It never seems to fail whatever really hurts is where the doc wants you to lay…thanks for sharing your story with me.

Mary - I have thoroughly researched the meds I am on - mainly because I don’t trust doctors/pharmacists to inform patients. Years ago I was in a very bad car accident because of a med I was on. I blacked out while driving…and after the accident I checked the possible side effects for the drug and found that 1 out 100 patients experience hallucinations, black outs, and other lovely things. I should not have been driving. So I learned the lesson you describe the hard way. Thank you for sharing your story too.

Jan - The intern bruised you - ouch! Do you bruise easily? I think a lot of us do bruise easily. I have a bruise on my arm from a blood draw - 2 weeks ago.
  9. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Thanks for the reply...I have less and less to worry about with everyone's great advice. I find it very reassuring that your doc didn't put you on additional meds. I hope they find nothing on mine that require any type of new meds.
    Nancy
  10. Remnant

Remnant New Member

I actually had a liver biopsy. After we found my liver to be enlarged during a sonogram. The sonogram was intended to measure my spleen, because my white blood cell count stays high, it was normal, however they found instead an enlarged liver.

And yet... my enyzymes remaine normal.(?) The biopsy revealed a fatty liver. Again, no Dr was ever concerned because all of my liver tests / blood tests, were perfectly normal.

So, I am having my results sent to a wellness clinic tomorrow. Another story... But if anyone knows more about fatty liver, with NO abnormal blood level tests...please let me know if you've had any advice/concerns???
  11. Remnant

Remnant New Member

Sorry I forgot to respond about the proceedure for the ultrasound. It was worse than the biopsy , FOR ME. I had a twilight anesthesia for the biopsy, so I was numbed and the recovery was painless enough. But the ultrasound, FOR ME, was extremely painful due to all the pressure the technician had to use to get a clear picture. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to the touch, so for me it was terrible. Im sorry, I dont want to scare you, but I'd prefer the biopsy needle any day to that pressure.
  12. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I had one back in 2000 - for me it was a breeze - but it only showed that yes, there was a problem, but the ultrsound couldn't confirm what that problem was for sure.....

I then went on to have the liver biopsy, and that also was not bad, yes a little discomfort, but no worse than the pain than fibro can bring at times, it only took a few minutes, and I was not sedated........

Wishing you the best.......
    Exactly how high are you liver enzymes - mine were in the thousands, and kept going higher each time I was tested....

All my meds were carefully ruled out - almost all meds can cause your liver enzymes to go up, some more than others.....

I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis - basically where your immune system is attacking the liver - been on medication since, and it's under control.....

Take Care.......Donna
  13. pepper

pepper New Member

I am sensitive to the touch too and my liver area is always sore. Pressing on that area with the ultrasound instrument did hurt but not as much as some here experienced. I guess we are all different as far as being sensitive goes but I wonder if the skill of the technician also influences how much we feel.

I just found it awfully long. I had the entire abdomen ultrasounded and I was on the table for 45 min., taking in large breaths and holding my breath over and over again. A couple of times I thought I was going to explode especially when she had me lying on my left side.

For me it was easier than most tests I have had - and many treatments which were supposed to make me feel better!

Pepper
  14. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have a genetic condition called porphyria which can cause fatty liver and cirrhosis with often normal liver enzyme tests. That's why we were doing the ultrasound.

Fortunately since my really bad bout with liver disease ten years ago I've been able to repair the damage with diet (specific for porphyria) and milk thistle.

You might want to do a search on porphyria to read more about it. The Canadian Porphyria Association has a good website. There are several types, and the ones you would want to check out are called the hepatic porphyrias. There's a strong correlation between porphyria and MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) which many on the board have.

Jan
  15. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Thanks for replying to everyone and I so sorry I didn't respond. I have been in a funk and been quite whiney as a result.

Well I had the ultrasound today. The ultrasound tech told me that he thinks it is my gallbladder. No big deal - I am over 40 and overweight so it is common...BUT I went up to my doctor's office to get additional lab work done. I was lucky to see the doctor before he started with other patients. My humiliation was finally complete - the tech had written that he couldn't get a good picture of my liver because of my obesity. He saw a gallstone - and now my doctor is sending me for a CAT scan.

It is not that I don't know I am overweight but to see it written on a chart was just awful. And I am very bruised and tender on my abdobmen (sp) because he pressedso hard to see the liver...lovely huh!

I leave for Disney World on Friday to spend the weekend with my relatives (Mom, Dad, Mickey, Goofy, Winnie!) I know that will cheer me up but Jan 1 weight watchers here I come again. Over the last 5 years I have lost 90 pounds - unfortunately it was 45 pounds at a time and it was the same 45 pounds!