Living in Spain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monicacat, Sep 1, 2003.

1. monicacat

monicacat Member

Has anyone visited Spain or lived there? For some strange reason I woke up this morning with the desire to go there.

I don't even know why, I just have the feeling that if I went I would feel better.

(Maybe I was dreaming about Antonio Banderas) :)

Monicacat
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

I lived there for about 6 years and left in 1978 not long after Franco (the dictator) died and Juan Carlos took over and installed democracy.
    I loved it and cried when I had to leave and come home. I lived in a small rural town in the southern part.
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

have been surfing the net for a week looking for a place to stay in Spain, Portugal or Madeira! We are both very ill with CFS/FM and find travelling so difficult that it may not be possible. However, isn't it odd that we would suddenly want to go there - and others of you do too?? I have never had much desire to go anywhere since I got sick but right now I am feeling antsy and want to go!!! Weird! (Do-do-do-do, do-do-do-do - Twilight Zone theme).
    Pepper
  4. monicacat

monicacat Member

Sofy....glad to hear you liked it. Where did you live and how hot did it get?

reeder....I read tonight that they are very relaxed over there, everything is much slower.

Old-Dawg and Pepper....It is kind of weird that we're all thinking of this now. I feel antsy as well.

Bek....bottled all the way. :)
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

Its been over 20 years since I lived there so doubt ay of my memories will be much good except for general info. I lived on the Costa Del Sol. The Med coast is much more international and hip.
    Life was much mor relaxed. Stored closed every day for siesta and opened back up at night. I wouldnt like that if I was working in the store but as a patron it was great. Everyone went home at lunch, including school children, to have the big meal of the day, lunch. Im sure this does not happen now is big urban areas but may in small communities where your work and home are still close. I still prefer large lunch & small supper.

I use to spend lots of time in town sipping my cafe for an hour, writing letters, just breating in the air and no one ever hurried me to turn the table over.

Summer it hot but dry. I grew up in S. Calif and I would say it is the same. Even the native plant life looked similar. Winter is damper and one of my wall weeped in the winter so I had to give it the clorox wash weekly and put towels on the floor to catch the damp. My house had no heat except a fireplace and a roll around propane heater that I bought. You could not use this at night and wake up the next day. Once it got to freezing but seldom reached the 30's in winter.

It was not a country that looked high on women except for in there rightly place as mothers and in the kitchen. My husband spoke worse spanish than I did but any time we needed to have something done I had to drag him to talk to the "man". He would stand there and I would do all the talking but continually pointed to my husband and said "my husband says"
    It was all a game, but had to be played and it still makes me laugh out loud.