Lizards Lizards Lizards

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LadyC, Nov 2, 2007.

1. LadyC

LadyC New Member

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the lizards that are all around my house? I don't want to kill them, just to find a way to repel them.

There are so many. First of all, I'm from NJ and not at all accustomed to these creatures. When I first moved to Florida 5 years ago I was terrorized, traumatized and tormented by these little monsters. I have finally calmed down enough to try to ignore them as much as possible. But there are so many. When I open my front door and step outside, it's as if they are waiting for me. They begin darting back and forth across the walkway in front of me. If they would just stay in the grass I wouldn't have to see them. But the seem to almost be taunting me. I have to be careful not to step on them. Of course this freaks me out and I just want to run screaming all the way to my car.

I'm trying to be brave but I'm just a misplaced city girl. Please help.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2007]
  2. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

they eat the mosquitos. Seriously, they do.

Years and years ago we used to have those wonderful green chameleons in Florida. When I was a kid,we would catch them and hang them off our ears like earrings.

Then, the state of Florida in all its wisdom actually imported those dragon-like brown ones for mosquito control purposes. But they have darn near obliterated the beautiful native ones.

I know they are ugly, I don't know how you get rid of them, but I do know that without them, you will be fighting a lot more spiders and mosquitos.

Sorry I wasn't very helpful!
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I adore lizards, big lizards, little lizards, any size lizards.

Unfortunately I live in Scotland where there are few lizards and they dont live amongst us.

I'm sure they have their purpose so please don't kill them, they're not waiting for you, they're not taunting you, they are just living their little lizard lives.

Even the dreaded wasp has its purpose though I'm sure the fly has none.

[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2007]
  4. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

I agree with Khalyal, the lizards are serving a grand purpose. Plus, the fact that you have lizards around your house tells me your environment there is fairly non-toxic.

Where there's lizards and snakes, turtles and toads, I know the environment is safe.

My grandfather used to say, after they put the water plant in, with all its chlorine and chemicals, and he would tromp about, "No lizards there. I'll take my spring water that comes from the mountain, plenty of lizards and salamanders up yonder."

And what an added bonus, the bugs they chomp up! Plus, they are comical to watch. I'd take advantage of such an environmental blessing, right at your doorstep!

5. LadyC

LadyC New Member

Even my girlfriend who has lived here all her life says that she has never seen so many any place else at one time. Don't worry, I just want to repel them...not kill them.
  6. LadyC

LadyC New Member

7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

www anapsid org

it would be Melissa Kaplan, a PWC (activist also) and a herpetologist.

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2007]
  8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Put a sign out front: "Free Lizards on Saturday" ?

Some of my other thoughts, while practical, don't quite seem right. Like, getting a big snake doesn't seem to be in the right spirit for a solution. I'd enjoy watching them myself. Oh, well, good luck.