Local anaesthetic - dental

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cara, May 9, 2003.

1. cara

cara New Member

I had to have a tooth extracted last week. I usually manage to have fillings without an injection but had to have a local anaesthetic for this procedure. Within a few minutes of the injection my legs and hands would not stop shaking, my heart was racing and then I conked out! I came round with an oxygen mask on and two fans going and that was before she even started on the extraction!!!!!

Since then I have felt really dizzy, spaced out and exhausted.

Does this happen to anyone else after a local?
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

but I have a very intelligent dentist who understands the ramifications of these DDs better than most docs I have seen.

We did some trial and error to find the best one for me.

I believe many local anaesthetics also contain adrenalin, if the one given to you did this may have been the cause of your problem.

If you are chemically sensitive, as I am, you may have reacted to the anaesthetic itself.

Cheers

Tansy

3. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I have always had problems when given anaesthetic, so when I had to have a tooth pulled recently I stressed to the doctor that it could be the epinephrine in it

I got carbocane WITHOUT epinephrine (which makes your heart race) and did fine

Talk to your dentist about this - my doctor thought I was crazy, but my sister has the same reactions
  4. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

its a very scary experience, but you can avoid it. i discovered years ago that i must request that the injection has NOT got any adrenalin in it. i had a very similar experience to you..........just explain to your dentist and ask them to give the other type of anaesthetic in future...you won't get that type of reaction again....

best wishes
    pinkquartz
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME!! I now know that traditional novocaine is not for me----same thing happens, my heart pounds dreadfully, and I feel like throwing up.

Ask your dentist for CARBOCAINE----it's great! Does not produce that horrible adrenelin effect. The only thing is, it takes longer to take effect. So, if they normally inject novocaine & wait 2 or 3 minutes before drilling, with carbocaine, it might be 5 or 6 minutes before they can start. Small price to pay, I think. I believe most dentists now have carbocaine; came out about 4 or 5 years ago, I believe; ideal for folks like us.

Good luck, hope your next procedure goes smoother!

Hugs,
    Pam