Local News story on FMS - New Drugs being studied

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GooGooGirl, Sep 3, 2003.

1. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I just saw a story on my local news channel about FMS. Here is the transcript of the story:

For more than 20 years, Elizabeth Tross-Deamer suffered the pain of fibromyalgia. She started taking a new medication --pregabalin -- and her pain subsided. "The memory is better. My relationships are better. People like me a lot more." For the first time in years, this wine author can sleep at night, giving her back energy and stamina during the day.

Bernadine Smith took a different drug -- milnacipran -- and had similar results. Bernadine Smith has fibromyalgia "I didn't have as much depression. I wasn't as fatigued."

Doctor Philip Mease is testing both drugs in separate studies.

Philip J. Mease, M.D. Rheumatologist
    Swedish Hospital Medical Center, Seattle, WA
    "At least a third of the patients in both trials have experienced, roughly, a 50-percent reduction in pain."

The drugs come from different families--pregabalin is a pain reliever, milnacipran an anti-depressant.

Philip J. Mease, M.D. "What both of these medications are doing are restoring to a more natural balance the neuro-chemicals in the brain that are off kilter in this condition."

Both drugs are still in trials, but for these two women, the verdict is already in.

The most common side effects in the pregabalin trial were mild dizziness, which went away as drug use continued. For milnacipran, it was nausea. Pregabalin could be approved next year. Milnacipran will likely be approved in two years.

PREGABALIN: Of 529 patients in phase II of the pregabalin study, 29 percent of treated patients reported at least a 50-percent reduction in pain compared to a 13-percent reduction in patients who were given a placebo. The drug also improved sleep quality in patients. The most common side effects were mild dizziness, which went away as drug use continued. Pregabalin is being studied as a treatment for seizures and neuropathy also. The drug could be approved next year.

MILNACIPRAN: In phase II of the milnacipran study involving 95 patients, 87 percent of treated patients reported improvement compared to 33 percent in the placebo group. About 36 percent of treated patients reported at least a 50-percent reduction in pain intensity compared to 9 percent of patients who were treated with a placebo. Patients also showed improvements in depressed mood. One side effect in the milnacipran study was nausea. The drug will likely be approved in two years. Milnacipran is already approved in other countries, including France and Japan, as an anti- depressant. More than 1 million people have used the drug.

Dr. Mease says fibromyalgia has been a difficult condition to treat but new research is promising. He adds, "Now that the medical community is taking fibromyalgia more seriously because of biological understanding, companies are now willing to put in resources to find ways to help."

[This Message was Edited on 09/03/2003]
  2. chickadee

chickadee New Member

about Pregablin several weeks ago. I printed it and took it to my rheumatologist. He was familiar with the doctors and very impressed by it but of course, not available yet for me to try. I'll keep watching for it's release.
  3. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

and did some on line research and found that this is the second study for this medication. It was recalled last year because of major side effects. jackie

[ advertisement ]