Local Support Groups, how many of you attend one??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cardinal50, Apr 23, 2006.

1. cardinal50

cardinal50 New Member

Hi,
    I am fairly new to this forum and enjoy it so much, its amazing how FMS touches all kinds of people from all kinds of lives. I also enjoy looking at pictures people post in their profile. (I have not done one yet) I am a real people person and like to see people when I talk with them. It just helps me to know I am not alone in this and there are other people who care and REALLY understand what I am going through. I was just curious how many of you have local support groups and do you attend?

Thanks for sharing,
    God Bless
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

But, there's not one in the town I live in. I also enjoy looking at the pictures of people I "talk" with on this Board. It does make the Board seem more personable. Now ... please post your picture! LOL !!! ;<)

Warm wishes, Jeannette

3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

We meet once a month. For the most part it's been pretty helpful, except for the months that we don't have a good turnout.

Ellen

4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

As much as I get out of this board, the few that I meet with monthly really put a face on these dd's for me.

We have two 'captains', one with CFIDS, one with FMS...One picks up the slack for the other to keep a dialogue going.

Some meeting we talk amongst ourselves (that's my favorite) and others we have 'guest speakers'. I don't like that much because it's always someone selling their services, although they don't allow them to solicit and we avoid people with 'cures' from coming...

A very nice bunch of people...Most are new to this and most of the time I sit and listen to all the things they are trying and think to myself "that didn't work for me"...After over 13 years of this for me, one of the 'captains' usually calls on me to share my story...In the beginning I would cry, apologize and cry some more...For some that's okay, but it made me feel weak, so I would decline speaking, now I am getting better with it.

We have done this post in the past and some felt that people sharing their story and breaking down at a support group was not appropriate and these people should see a psych doc...I happened to bring that up at the last meeting and how I felt very comfortable with the people there and they understood completely without judging me, I can't imagine getting that response from any doc and at $250/hour, there is no comparison...

I have to travel a bit (20 miles) but my hubby is glad to take me...He has to remind me too, it's on his calendar. I forget to write it on mine and even if I did I would forget to look at it...We had a closer group but it was terminated because the woman running it would fog out and forget to come...Now that's funny!!!

Hope you can find one that's local, or think about starting your own, if you can...It helps others a great deal and along with this one online, it's been a lifesaver for me.

Check my profile if you'd like...I just changed my pic to show the memorial I did for my 'son'.

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia