Local Support Groups..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I dont think but going to check into it more about trying to locate a support group for Fibromyalgia, here where I live in Central Ohio.

Has anymone on this message board ever started one of their own? Any suggestions or advice on how to start one? I have only found one other freind close by me, so far that is interested to start one with me.

Sunshyne
  2. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I dont think but going to check into it more about trying to locate a support group for Fibromyalgia, here where I live in Central Ohio.

Has anymone on this message board ever started one of their own? Any suggestions or advice on how to start one? I have only found one other freind close by me, so far that is interested to start one with me.

Sunshyne
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is a search feature that lists support groups. You can search by state, town, or zip code. You might also ask the local newspaper to put a freebie notice asking if a group exists or giving a phone number for people wishing to start a support group.

One caution: Support groups need strong moderators with experience in keeping everyone on topic. Otherwise, these sessions can break down into unstructured pity parties instead of ways to support and inform one another. Some people, unfortunately, think support means having people at their beck and call to dump their frustrations on. This is why I've never joined one. This online support group allows me to control my time and what I choose to "listen" to. The down side, of course, is that I cannot just have lunch with our wonderful members or sit down face to face over a cup of tea.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I was thinking that too,I dont want it to turn out to be a pity party. I was thinking picking a subject to talk about, or what doctors they go to,and do they help..stuff like that.

I did the search, and there arent any listed for my area. So I will try the newspaper.

Thanks again!