Locked my keys in the car with it running today,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Christinawensell, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

This brain fog is driving me crazy.

We are moving this evening and I am a wreck.

I work full time, which is very difficult for me, and to add to it all I hate moving.

Anyways got here to work running 5 minutes late and get out of the car and then just before the door closes shut I realize my keys are still in the car and the car is still running. Boy what a way to save gas right now. Lord, My husband wants to kill me.

It took an hour for a locks smith to come out and open the car door. I felt so stupid tellingmy boss and my co-workers the reason I had to keep going out the door is because I do not have a brain anymore.

I hate this. I am leaving early today form work becasue I have so much stress with moving and all that I am a wreck and I can't fit anything else in right now.

Do you have nay suggestions of what you have done with car keys? I live in Phoenix, Arizona and car theft is bad and I have a new car. this is not the first time I have done this and I am sure it is not the last. I just hate paying out so much money for them to come out.

I have thought about a hide-a-key but most theives would look, so I worry about that too.

Stress is a killer.

Christina

2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Had my keys in my purse and locked it all up with a load of groceries I had just bought. Had to get my husband to travel about 30 minutes from work to bring keys to open my trunk. This was a 1983 car.

At least Food Lion was nice enough to let me call my husband at work. At the time that was a long distance call.

I have a different truck now and it has the auto button locks, so I use them all the time and if I don't have my keys, can't lock my truck. It's a 1997 RAV4.

Back to the other story, I ended up always making sure my keys were in my pocket and if I set my purse in the trunk to put the groceries in, those keys were right in my pocket. Boy, after that I never forgot.

Now my current truck auto unlocks when you turn it off. It auto locks when it is turned on. Also has the ding noise when you leave the lights on and the key isn't in the ignition. Boy that sure helps me a lot. lol

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

Bad thing is that my car also has the dinging noise when the keys are in the car, and the stupid thing is that my car radio was still on too. LOL. I guess I only can laugh at myself right now.

The last time I did this my daughter had cut her leg open at home and I was at work. I saw the car was on empty and I went to get gas really fast. I was so upset and worried that I parked the car on the wrong side of the gas nozzle (for my car) and so I got in the car started it up and moved it again. Stupid thing is I still parked on the wrong side. I wanted to just kick myself. I got in the car looked around to see if anyone was laughing at the scatterbrained blonde and then parked the correct way, got out frustrated with myself and still very worried and then shut the door. I pumped the gas, proceeded to get in my car and found I had locked my keys in the car and my purse and phone. I was so upset. My husband had to come rescue me and then I had to rush to my daughter and take her to the ER for stitches.

Can you see I do not handle stress we'll.

Best wishes Christina
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Here is what happens to me. I have a routine. I turn off the car and take the keys right out of the ignition and put them in my purse.

If I DO NOT do this, for instance if I stop to fiddle with something AFTER I turn the car off, I will get out and lock my keys in every time (nearly). I do try to make it a point to take the keys and lay them on the seat now if I am not getting right out, but that is not the solution I have for you. Really wouldn't help since you didn't even turn it off huh!!!?

Anyway, I started keeping 2 car keys. One on my regular key ring and one on another ring that stayed in my purse. That works most of the time since I usually grab the purse and leave the keys in the ignition when I lock them in.

I must confess; however, that I HAVE locked the keys, purse and all in the car at least twice, but the circumstances were extenuating.

My new car has a key with a computer chip in it. You cannot start the car with any other key and it is about $35 for a duplicate! Blah! But I do have 2 keys and 2 remotes for my car, so my husband has one key and I have the 2 remotes.

Sometimes if I am not carrying my purse and don't have a pocket, or don't want my heavy keys with me, I lock the whole shebangs in the car and just carry the remote, making sure that the battery has not gone dead in it before I lock and leave!!!

Hope that helps.

Sonya
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Christina,
    You may need to get a copy of your key made and wear it around your neck or attach it to a bracelet. lol I get hubby to put gas in my vehicle.

Are you locking your door before you get out of the car? How is it locking if you leave the keys in and your purse and cell phone?

Start making a habit of not locking the door except from the outside--driver's side only. Think that will help any?

You should be here and see the buttons I will click on that are wrong--no one ever sees that. lol

You work full time, deal with these DD's, and have a family, no wonder you are locking the keys in your car.

My neighbor has a key to our house if anything should ever happen, but I usually leave via the garage.

Good luck and I hope you can relax some for Labor Day weekend. ;-)

Big hugs,
    Faye
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

Sorry for laughing Christina, but I have done this myself .... twice ! Too embarrassing for words !

I don't have any sure fire cures for this. What I do
    is check my hands for keys right when I turn off motor, as
    I get out, before I shut the door ... etc. I never drop
    keys in my purse while I'm getting out .... I just don't
    trust myself .... gotta have them IN MY HAND where I can see them.

I also crack my driver window enough to fit a curved
    hanger thru in case I need to hit the un-lock botton.

I know how it feels .... and it costs money everytime
    you have to call the locksmith , or walk home from the drug store to get the spare set of keys because you are
    to embarrassed to call your husband for help.

Picture it ... Running Explorer with yellow lab sitting up in driver's seat, A C blowing, so she's really
    comfortable ... and I'm begging her to hit the unlock
    botton !! HA .... LOL

Try to keep your sense of humor about this. We have
    so many other problems to deal with ... that being a
    bonehead needs to be at the bottom of the worry list.

Alot of "normals" pull this stunt too. At least we
    have an excuse !!

Take care,

Elsa
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

To make it worse, my 10 mo old daughter was inside in her car seat... and it was summer... but at least the car was running too!

And yes, normals do it too, I was JUST reading Reader's Digest where someone wrote that she not only locked her keys in her car with the car running, she didn't realize it until she came out of work 8 hours later!!!!!!

SO the moral of the story is,

DON'T FEEL BAD!

All the best,
    Victoria