Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steach, May 29, 2008.

1. steach

steach Member

Hi Friends-

Just a notice about your medications. We are all trusting when it comes to our family members and especially our children. Being a teacher, I can tell you, kids take their parent's, grandparent's, aunt's, uncle's, both their brother's and sister's medications to sell at school or even use it; even the best kids. Please purchase a lock-box (like a fire safety box)and keep all your medications in it- locked. Put the key where the child doesn't know where it is and change the location of the key often. This might save your child's life or their friend's life. I've seen too much of this in the schools.

2. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I recommend a combination lock. I saw my friends son breaking into her key safe with a knife he got in you could not tell after.

So a combination lock or just make sure it is a good safe and can not be broken into I think hers was also and older one I'm srue the new ones are better -Kim
  3. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I just had this experience at my house. We had a team of 3 contractors working here.

They were painting in our back bedroom and I was whispering to my husband and said I am going to go get a muscle relaxer (Soma).

Mike the foreman said, "Give me about 6 of those, no make it a dozen."

These are all older men, and Mike was feeling bad, since then we found out he has lung cancer and he had surgery.

Later I went to get a pain pill and noticed right off that both my pain meds, Ultram, Percocette, and Soma were lower then they had been so I counted them. Yep, 15 of each were missing.

My husband had to drive to the next town to get my doctor to give me scripts to fill out the 15 each so I had enough until the end of the month.

Now we don't know which of them actually took the pills but you can bet I moved them.

We didn't or couldn't turn them in, since all the work is being done on our house is free through a WA OIC program.

They were not the very best fo painters, etc. and we didn't want to say anyting then and have them deliberately make a mess here.

We did tell the office later when they were done working here.

By the way, it is a Federal offense to take meds out of someone elses house.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2008]
  4. KarrinneSleepyhead

KarrinneSleepyhead New Member

My youngest dd would tell other family members that I was addicted to pain pills. Well, as many of you here do as well, I kept mine hoarded up in case of an unbelievable pain attack. I know from past experience, if I'm in gosh awful pain, it like pulling teeth to get anything stronger than Advil from just about any doc anymore, so I save them for when they are NEEDED. I still right now have a bottle of Lortab from my surgery last May (and no its not outdated).

She said this to others to cover up the fact that SHE was the one taking drugs that she got from various sources, including my meds.
    My dh gave me a lockbox for my meds and every single thing is locked up tighter than a drum. The official reason was to keep the grandbabies out of Nanny's meds. The truthful reason was to keep the grandbabies AND some of their adult relatives out of Nanny's meds.
  5. steach

steach Member

That is a good idea too, however, if someone really, really wants to get into your meds, they will find a way. They could even cut the com. lock. Kids these days are renting hotel rooms (the ones who are 18) and having "pharm" parties- pharmasutical parties. They mix all kinds of pills in a bowl and take a handful whith alcohol. There have been two young boys in my local area who have died from oxyconton(?). For those of us who take our prescribed medications as directed need to keep them in a safe place- not only to protect others, but, I can see us going to or calling our doctors and telling them the medication "magically disappeared"! Yeah, I can visualize the doctor giving us a refill!

6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

My doctor knows that I do not abuse my meds, therefore when my husband told them what happened it was no problem.

I have taken my meds for several years and they know that I never come up short. Also, since I came up 15 short of my Soma which I don't take regulary only when I need one, he knew that what happened was real.
  7. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Thanks for posting.I think most parents don't think their children will do this,but you being a teacher know how children act when they aren't around thier parents. Ruthie
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

This is always a good reminder!
    I am so trusting and I know that I shouldn't be. As mentioned, it's not only kids. I would imagine that just mentioning that you have meds in your home could be inviting potential drug seekers. I for one, am bad about that and have stopped. I don't mean that I just tell everyone, but friends etc. know and we often joke about how I have them, but they don't work for me etc.

I remember my doc telling me once that they (docs) give you one "someone stole my meds" free pass. This was when I first was being prescribed and we were having a casual conversation about how many patients have come up with all sorts of excuses to get more meds. "My dog ate them"
    I remember a couple of years ago - I had an rx for vicodin that I never took. We were cleaning out meds and I threw them away. I mentioned that to some people at work and they were shocked and appalled that I would throw them away. (Now I wouldn't but back then I didn't need them).

Anyway- good reminder - thanks! Off to put my meds away...
  9. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I used to work for a physiatrist and you would not believe the excuses people would give as to why they needed a refill before time.

I got to telling people "That is not an acceptable excuse this week."

Best excuse: "I took it fishing and the bottle fell off the dock into the water and I watched a fish eat it and so I couldn't get it back."

I suggest changing the location of the lock box also. If you want to go the extra mile, get two identical lock boxes, use only one, but hide both.

10. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

This is a great post. I have been wondering for a while how to "lock up" meds. I bought a lockbox, but when filled it was light enough for anyone to pick it up and take it away, so I returned it.

Now that my kids have become teenagers, this is a subject that worries me a lot. Does anyone have suggestions of anything heavier, or how to "hide" it without making it terribly hard for ME to get to it daily? (I use pill cases.) I like the idea of having two, but does anyone have any ideas?

Again, great post for the time. I saw that commercial of the boy at school too and it made me even more paranoid.

11. goldengoddess

goldengoddess New Member

I feel lucky reading this that I haven't had this happen to me. I used to be in a scene where drugs were a mainstay... imagine the irony of my now needing them to walk some days!!! I always surrounded myself with good people, I guess I had some pretty high standards, and I never had anything stolen, taken, or borrowed!

Now, with percocet and muscle relaxers around all the time, I haven't even hid them very well and no one has taken any, or even asked for any. This summer my step daughter (14) will be here, and I'm sure her and her friends will be in my bathroom. I didn't even think of this before, but I need to atleast keep them off the counter!!!
  12. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I place mine in a large cookie tin /jar and place them on a shelf in my pantry among my other grocerys or use those tin cans that flavored popcorn comes in and no ones the wiser!
  13. steach

steach Member

Hiding the meds in a general area, like in a tin with the groceries, is an idea. Two different lock boxes is an idea, too; although I'd suggest to put aspirin or some other OTC med or candy in it to make it sound like it has med in it if it were shaken.

Perhaps, some kind of box could be used- like a box with a vaporizer/humidifier, etc., that isn't used by the other family members (or guests). Take the item out of the box and hide it somewhere and put the meds in the box.

If there is a will, there is a way for someone to get into a lock box, etc. When I taught in a prison, the inmates were extremely creative!! They made things that you wouldn't imagine- with just bits and pieces of this-and- that. I'd suggest moving the location of the meds often.

I don't have the answers- just the awareness to share with all of my friends here.

14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for this post. I probably would not have thought about this. While I did this when my children were younger, I had not thought about workers doing this.

I have people coming to my apartment to do some repair work tomorrow and will do this.

I do not have a lock box but some of the ideas mentioned above are helpful until I do that.

I also need to do this for my grandaughet who is getting to the age where she likes to explore.

Again thanks for the information. I love it when people get creative. It helps spark other ideas.

Good post.

15. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

How about hiding the rx bottle under mattress and fill weekly pill box which can be kept elsewhere.

Or if you are the only cook, put pills in spice bottles.

It is important to keep daily/weekly pills away from rx bottle -

It is sometimes hard to get an rx filled if it is stolen because insurance might not pay for an early refill
  16. footballmom

footballmom New Member

Be sure when you throw your old medicine bottles away that you peel the label off of the bottle. That way no one can refil the prescription or know what kind of meds you are taking thus setting you up for some one to break into your house and steal your meds.
  17. tandy

tandy New Member

Hope everything is well with you~

Good post idea,..... I'd lock my meds up for sure!!
    that is if I had anything worth locking up!

I'm still in a situation where pain meds are scarse.
    drs. just don't seem to know the severity of some of our pain with Fibro.
    at any rate,... yes,.. when children are present in your home,... you can never be to safe. Lock em up!!

good seeing you back again,
    Tandy (same ole, same ole) :)
  18. netnut

netnut New Member

I had a problem with my meds walking off to the local drug emporium aka drug dealer's house. The lady was a neighbor and she happened to see me in the pharmacy one day and overheard the pharmacist mention the name of one of my prescriptions. Big mistake.

Before that I just used a tackle box to keep my meds in and kept it on a shelf in my room. After she learned about my meds and started sending people into my house to steal from me I had to buy a safe that had a combination lock on the front. It also bolts to either the floor, a shelf or something of that nature so someone cant walk off with it. I have it bolted to my bathroom countertop and its very easy for me to get in to each time I need to use it but unless someone wants to tear out my entire bathroom, its not coming loose.
  19. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I found out at my college that they offer safes to rent for one's dorm room. These suckers are bolted to the wall. I'm definitely opting for one because I had already thought before that I needed to get some sort of locking box to put my meds in, especially since I'm on Vyvanse.

Here at home I'm okay, but definitely at college I don't know what to expect, so they're getting locked up nice and tight.

It's not just a combination lock either. You can punch in a key code, you can swipe a card, or if need be, you can use keys, but they don't recommend that.

I was just kinda like "ooh...nifty..."
  20. steach

steach Member

Footballmom, you are right- I always peel my labels off the empty bottles and tear it apart and put it in the garbage. That way, the kids or other family members in the house don't know what med you are on or even if someone goes through your trash they won't know.

OMG, the kids in school are able to get ANYTHING they want when it comes to drugs/medications. I also have a family member who comes to visit and is an alcoholic and addict- this person has stolen my medications AND money from around the house. Not long ago, I found an unfolded paperclip near the vicinity where I keep my lock box. Like I said before, if there is a will, there is a way.

Hi Tandy! I said hello in another post but you must not have read it. It is nice to see some familiar "faces" on the board since I've not been on here in a while! How are you?! You practically saved my life by telling me about the migraine medication Butalbitol (generic name) and I'll never forget you!! :) :) :)

If any of you have children in school, it is sooo easy for them to get medications of all sorts- even the "best kids". Today, smoking marijuana is like smoking cigarettes; they do it before school, at lunch time, and after school........ It is sooo freightening.

A few signs to look for are: does he/she smell like cologne when walking in the door? Is he/she chewing gum? Does he/she have a tremendous appetite after school? Does he/she go straight to bed on a daily/regular basis? Are grades falling? Has he/she quit going to regular activities? Is he/she "hanging-out" or talking on the phone with new friends? And, the kids "name" the medications with a slang name.

Better to be safer and aware than sorry.