Loneliness and vice versa

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Sep 30, 2018.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Time to revisit a thread that GB initiated some years ago. We are looking for songs
    with a title or lyrics that mention loneliness or its opposites such as friendship, love, and camaraderie.

For example, "my Huckleberry friend" from Moon River by Henry Mancini and
    Johnny Mercer. Met the first one in Hollywood some decades ago. But, as
    Marilyn Monroe reportedly said about Alfred Einstein, "I never dated him though."

My Buddy; WWI song. Friendship by Cole Porter. Remember when Lucy and
    Ethel sang it while destroying their beautiful gowns?

Heart of my Heart. A great song about friendship. It's on Youtube sung by
    Johnny Desmond, Don Cornell, and Alan Dale.

Shutters and Boards. "I changed that laughter to tears. Now I must live in a
    world without sunshine. Oh, how I wish you were here."

Rock

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

"Only the Lonely" by Roy Orbison
    rockgor likes this.
  3. rockgor

Hi Tiger Lilea

Good one. I think Roy Orbison had his big hits shortly after I got out of college and
    moved to N. Minnesota. "Crying" was also a hit. The lyrics had the word crying 14
    times. Hope you're doing OK.

Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life, at last I've found you.
    I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill.

When Will I Find Love?
    I Found A Million Dollar Baby In A Five And Ten Cent Store. A song from the
    great depression by Harry Warren who composed primarily for the movies.

Rock
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

"You're my Best Friend" - Queen
    "Waiting on a Friend" - Rolling Stones
    rockgor likes this.
  5. rockgor

Hi T. L.
    Is Bella also a music lover?

At Last, hit for Etta James. I found a dream. I found a thrill.
    I've Lost You. Elvis.

Lost Highway, Hank Williams.
    One Dying and A-burying. Well, I think I finally found me a sure
    way to forget. Roger Miller.

Rock
  6. rockgor

GB, where you be? Too illish to play? On an ocean cruise? The Rivera?
    Trapped in a sale at Wal*Mart?

Hope you can drop by soon.
    Rock
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I'm feeling a little down physically the last few days. I have a sinus infection and my gum is sore too.

Today is our 60th Anniversary! I made dinner yesterday and I'm really tired today. lol Decided to cook at home instead of ordering out this year. I'm glad you started the new game. I'll come back tonight and play. This is a good subject for us. Hugs to all, GB
    rockgor likes this.
  8. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary to you & hub, GB!

What did you make for it yesterday that was good?

Patti
    gb66 and rockgor like this.
  9. rockgor

Hi, GB. Congratulations on your 60th. I read sometime back that the average
    marriage now lasts about 8 years in the US. But probably a lot of those couples
    had lived together for some years before actually getting married.

Sorry that you're having additional medical problems. We all have too many
    already.

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks Patti and Rock.

Patti, I made a rump roast/gravy/mashed potatoes/fresh carrots and cabbage and we had orange/cranberry cake for dessert. It was good!

Later on when I'm feeling better we're going to get some shrimp from Red Lobster. I love their seafood. They have a couple of chocolate desserts that are really, really good too. :) GB
    rockgor likes this.
  11. hangininthere

OMG, delish!!!

I love mashed potatoes and gravy. One time when I was elementary school age, my Grandma took me on a trip, just us two, to visit her relatives in Buffalo, New York. We stopped at the outdoor cafe at Niagara Falls for a snack. I got my favorite - mashies and gravy. I was happier to see the mashies than I was to see the Falls.

Patti
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    gb66 and rockgor like this.
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Patti, I've always loved them too. I remember when I was growing up in Tampa, we would eat at a drugstore on Saturday afternoons after seeing a movie. I always ordered meat loat and mashed potatoes with apple brown betty for dessert. They had the best food. GB
    rockgor and hangininthere like this.
  13. rockgor

Glad to see you again, GB. Never heard of orange cranberry cake, but it sounds good.
    Meat and potatoes is about as basic as it gets. Potatoes are full of nutrition, but also calories. Well, I guess the calories are in the dairy products that go with them. You
    can try chicken broth as a substitute. My mother made wonderful potato soup.
    Certainly better than Campbell's.

I haven't been to a Red Lobster for decades. The boss used to take our law firm there
    for lunch in the early days. He stopped doing then as the firm got bigger. I don't remember any desserts. Well, that was over 40 years ago. Maybe they didn't have
    any then.

Patti, did you go on the Maid of the Mist at the Falls? Nowadays the boat is huge.
    Costs $20 but you get a free raincoat. I think I'd rather have a snowglobe.

Rock

upload_2018-10-6_2-53-5.jpeg
  14. hangininthere

Nope, just stopped for a snack and saw the Falls. I'm a landlubber now. I probably wouldn't have wanted to go on the Maid of the Mist anyway. Looks scary. It's been since my early twenties that I've done anything adventurous like fly in jumbo jets. Even then, I held on to the armrests to keep the plane up.

When age thirteen, my Dad had me and younger sibs water skiing on the T.V.A. Lakes in Tennessee. I think I'm the only one that made it up and actually skied a ways before falling and forgetting to let go of the rope with my face racing through the water. The water was so crystal clear like drinking water back then. We camped out there and visited my Aunt and Uncle and cousins in Knoxville, who lent us their motor boat.

I loved my other Grandma's snow globe on her vanity dresser in her bedroom. Along with her little music box that played Greensleeves. And her big powder puff in dusting powder. And her brass bed with just one mattress on suspended wire springs was the comfiest ever.

Patti
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    rockgor likes this.
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

The orange cranberry cake comes from Fresh Market. And yes, meat and potatoes is basic but I'm a basic kind of girl. lol

Robin Leach would not have approved of my diet. :)

Patti, you might not want to swim in lake water any more. It is so polluted now. We used to spend a lot of time in the Knoxville, Gatlinburg area on vacations. Loved the mountains.

Speaking of lake water, I had a serious infection from lake water in my teens when I lived in FL. Years later, 2 of my kids had strep from lake water. My mil took them to a lake. They both had to have their tonsils removed as a result

We swam in the ocean for the most part when I was growing up but I didn't care for salt water or sticky old sand. Always had so many sensities. Sunburned easily too. Now, I'd just like to go ANYWHERE that isn't in a medical building! GB
    hangininthere likes this.
  16. hangininthere

Awwww, too bad about the TVA Lakes, but that's par for the course nowadays. I was terrified on those mountain roads. Give me flat land any time, haha.

Yes, I'm afraid to go swimming anywhere, even in a public pool. Used to be one of my favorite things to do, but with all the infections in news no way now. And loved to swim in ocean, standing there bobbing up way high on the waves then down...until the movie Jaws came out when I was in Virginia Beach, and I haven't swam in ocean since.

I've always been kind of a cautious gus, even at a young age. I've got my wild side, though, when I threw all caution to the wind in teens and early twenties. It was when I had my son when I was 25 that I became aware of how precious life is and have used caution ever since. Except for purposely doing donuts in empty parking lots in the snow occasionally, to this day. I'm a bit of a tomboy at heart.

Patti
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Patti, I think most areas are having pollution problems now. Don't know specifically about the TN lakes, just saying in gereral.

We used to love to lie on 'floats' or inner tubes.in the ocean and bob up and down. It was relaxing but easy to forget where you were and get too much sun. I did that many times.

We lived in an apartment complex years ago with a great pool. I loved that. I'd take lunch out to the pool and spend hours. It was up on a little hill with lots of trees around it, very private and shady on one side. I miss that. GB
  18. hangininthere

I love to float on just my back in a lake or pool. Inflatable rafts are wonderful, too, but I was afraid to in ocean or a great lake, in case I float away.

I love swimming so much that one time on vacation to East Coast when I was about 16, as we drove past New York City and my Dad asked if we wanted to visit the City, I exclaimed "No! I want to go swimming!" And I was afraid of getting mugged there, too. He also offered to stop in at Woodstock music festival but I said the same thing "No! I want to go swimming!" I loved the hippie clothes and the music (but not the goofy dancing), but it's a good thing we didn't go and get stranded there for days. My baby brother was only 3 at the time.

That pool with the shade trees sounds heavenly to me.

I'm thinking, as bedridden and weak as I am and can't go anywhere but grocery store and doc appointments for years, my "Make-A-Wish" type request would be to go swimming one last time. I love lolling in the water. Didn't like sunbathing, made me feel sicky. I would burn to a crisp, then it turned to a good tan. Didn't lay out often, though, only about five times in my life. Kept cool in the water.

Patti
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

My Make a Wish request would be to visit the mountains one more time and also to go to Florida one more time. I'd like to visit Clearwater Beach and Tarpon Springs on the west coast and St. Augustine on the east coast. Have many happy memories of St. Augustine. My sister went to school there and we visited her lots of times.

My totally impossible make a wish would be a trip to Ireland to search for long lost relatives. But truly, I'd settle for being able to walk around the mall again and eat at the food court. My wants are simple. :) GB
  20. hangininthere

In my early 20's I wintered in Cape Canaveral twice, lived two blocks from beach, and second time also moved over to Merritt Island. Nice flat land. LOLOL

Wonder if we could be distantly related. I've a lot of Irish in me. Mine are the Scots that moved to Ireland and were unwanted in Ireland. I looked it up in Wikipedia, and wonder if it's the Ulsters.

I want to remain anonymous online, so don't want to give out too many details.

Patti
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    gb66 likes this.