Lonely

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Angie812, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

I was recently diagnosed with CFIDS and depression. I think that I had depression for a long time prior but it is worse with CFIDS. My husband is the only person I can talk to about the illness because no one else seems to understand or care. I was hoping to find a niche in here somewhere with people who understand that I can vent to besides always unloading on my husband.

By the way, what is bumping and how do you do it?
  2. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

hi, ya know i am very new to this site and this message board and have already become SO THANKFUL that i happened upon it. it's been less than a week and i already feel a sense of belonging 'cuz i have never known any one to have fibromyalgia (which i have) or cfids.

so this sort of a mixed family of help, understanding, news, tips, medical experiences; just plain old support!

i am a divorced single mom of one son so i can't relate much to the scenario you feel about always talking to your husband about this. but it's pretty much the same i suppose as talking about it to one specific friend or family member which i do.

but, please, hang in there and you'll see just how much this site can mean for you. i'm here for ya!

i've had years and years of fibro symptoms but was officially diagnosed this past summer because i became confused, determined and eager to put a name to the pain, symptoms, frustrations.

remember, don't be lonely out there. post to me any time 'cuz i'm in your boat! (AND WE ARE NOT GOING TO SINK!)
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

People typically run away from others with chronic conditions. It's almost like they worry it's contagious!

I'm lucky in that my daughter is an RN and my husband is also a good listener. I've posted when I've been having a rough day. It helps to have someone respond with a "I know what you mean".

Bumping is just responding to a message that will cause it to go to the top of the list. Sometimes people will do that if the board is really busy and message fly to the next page.

They will also do it if they are looking for more responses.

Good Luck Angie. There are many like you here.

Eileen
  4. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i don't know how the pacifier smiley went out w/my reply to you!! haha! it's not what i thought i chose!! also meant to mention that i too have mild depression and psoriasis which are common to the fibro world..
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm sorry your ill and lonely, but no fear...you've found a good place where people are friendly and understand your illness. I'm glad you've come.

Take heart...

Sue
  6. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Welcome to the board! Don't get hung up on whether others understand. There is no way they can. My friend lost her husband at 36 and there is no way I can even begin to unbderstand! You can find that here! Thank goodness you have a wonderful husband you can talk too! Take Care- Lynn
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

and welcome to the board. Trust me, you will find plenty of friends here. We have a great group of people and best of all, we are here 24/7.

I have been here a couple of years and it has really helped me. I am also depressed and should be taking a anti-depressant, but when I tried it, my stomach was so upset.

I have Gastric Reflux problem and can't handle any meds that upset my stomach.

Take care and look forward to hearing from you again...
  8. diva2mi

diva2mi New Member

NO need to feel lonely with this board. I have had such support and understanding from this board and it is rather amazing! The only time I felt lonely was when I didn't visit the board for about 7 months because my live-in boyfriend at the time ridiculed me for believing in such a thing as FMS and CFIDS. I still believed but didn't visit the board so an arguement wouldn't ensue.

However, since my return I have had such a warm welcome. Everyone is very kind, considerate and the best of all! - they are responsive and understanding.

Welcome to the board and I hope you find some answers on here...

Brandee
  9. Jeanie101156

Jeanie101156 New Member

Welcome to the board Angie you have come to the right place. I am so sorry you are sick. I have had fibro and cfids for 16 years and in that time I have lost all of my friends. I only have my hubby and mother. He is so understanding I am blessed. My mom she don't realy understand or care. I get depressed out of loneliness at times. But this board really helps even if I don't post and just read them. Happy Thanksgiving. Jeanie101156
  10. millennia

millennia New Member

I just started coming here a few weeks ago and it has been great. It feels so good to know I'm not alone. Now you can know that you're not alone either. I was diagnosed with depression a few years ago, before they knew I had fibromyalgia. I know how hard the hard times can be. Just know that no matter how bad or lonely you might be, now that you've joined up with us, you'll always have a village supporting you.
  11. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

Thank-you so much to everyone who responded. I have been feeling pretty low today. Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching and we have had no invites to dinner. My husband's and my family live in town and we have not heard a word. We made dinner last year for everyone, but I just don't have the stamina for it this year. My oldest two children will be with their dad for the holiday, so it will just be my husband, youngest daughter and myself.

I've spent my whole life trying to keep in touch with friends, but none of them have been that interested. It's really quite discouraging when you don't have family or friends that care about you (except husband and kids). My husband is a great listener, but he gets frustrated because he doesn't really know how to help. I'm a stay-home-mom, too, so when the kids are in school, I'm here alone with too much time on my hands to think about my troubles.

I'm on an antidepressant, but don't know if it's really working like it's supposed to or if the dosage needs to be increased. I go to the doc in a couple of weeks and am going to talk to him about it.

I've been on here a few times and it is very informative, but there is so much to look at and read through that it wears me out after a while. I've seen a lot about FM and wonder what the difference is between FM and CFIDS. Any thoughts on this?

Angie
  12. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

The main difference between the two is that those with CFIDS suffer from flu-like symptoms which worsen with either physical, mental, or emotional exertion. In other words, any kind of activity can make you feel worse. Those with FM suffer mostly from pain all over their bodies, often in the joints. Many people have both. There are many online sites which will give you the symptoms, etc. of both syndromes, and this can be very informational for you. I will let others on this board go into greater depth for you. And, don't forget: you are depressed because you are sick, not sick because you are depressed. Welcome. Marie
  13. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

Welcome!

I have CFIDS and it is a very lonely disease. I tell my husband how I feel each day as briefly as I can and he is very understanding. He was very angry before he accepted I was this way because I no longer could make it to every grandchilds birthday parties and recitals or travel to see them or baby-sit. I have been on antidepressants for 33 years and have tried them all. Now my physciatrist ( Darn, I used to know how to spell that word) is suggesting a pace-maker for the area in my brain that makes me depressed. He has five patients he feels are that badly depressed. I am scared and excited. I suggest writing a journal every day of the best thing that happened that day. I found a pattern of activities that made me feel better so I try to do those things when I can. I have three friends who are there for me, I love to read, and I love to eat out. I live in the country so no carry-out but every trip to town is a reason to eat out.lol I feel close to the people on this board even if I never meet them because they understand and are saying things all of us feel but wouldn't say to anyone else. Keep coming back.
  14. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

Thank-you so much for your kind words of support. This message board is so helpful. While I was on last night, my husband was kind of reading some of the posts over my shoulder and I think it helped him to realize that there are many others out there with the same symptoms I have. He has always been supportive, but it still helps to realize that it is a REAL illness.

Angie